4 minutes ago, Django said:

The fact that Monk wasted Middlesbrough’s entire parachute payment war chest, doesn’t fill me with any confidence that he’s the man to rebuild our squad for the long term

Shhhhsh, we not allowed to mention that he's been sacked/left 4 clubs in 5 years.

And on a terrible relegation form 6 month run with us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Django said:

I’d like to see Mick McCarthy brought in for a couple of years or so to sort this shambles out

It's still a big NO from me and always will be. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Just for a bit of context. In the Premier League, Monk averaged 1.31 points per game, McCarthy 0.79.

I’d definitely class McCarthy as a lower league manager, much like Bassett and Warnock

9 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Shhhhsh, we not allowed to mention that he's been sacked/left 4 clubs in 5 years.

And on a terrible relegation form 6 month run with us.

Also on the other hand he’s had to work for some really unstable clubs in Leeds, Birmingham and Wednesday 

13 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

With a smaller budget, we are at risk of relegation with the players we have, so McCarthy would ensure we remain competitive.

However, I’d be looking for a long term appointment as Director of Football to implement a long term plan for the club, someone like a Kenny Jackett or Michael Appleton type of character to get to grips with the whole structure of the club from a football perspective.

I suggested Jackett before Monk was appointed and got a great big NO from most people. His record is good in lower leagues and I seem to remember he has managed in championship with reasonable results. 

Total 840

Won 375

Draw 213

Lost 252

Win % 44.64%

The main deterent was that he had managed Rovrum and only got 1 draw from his 5 matches in charge. There could be worse imo. 

4 minutes ago, Django said:

I’d definitely class McCarthy as a lower league manager, much like Bassett and Warnock

McCarthy is just sooooo boring and plays boring football. My many Ipswich friends were glad to see the back of him. 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

McCarthy is just sooooo boring and plays boring football. My many Ipswich friends were glad to see the back of him. 

I think the collapse since his departure shows what a good job he did there

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Django said:

Like Monk at Birmingham?

:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Django said:

They had already collapsed. Boring negative football. Do you want more of that?

• Like 1

Keep monk and give him time to develop a new squad and team. It will take time but sacking managers every 12 months doesn't work either. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

They had already collapsed. Boring negative football. Do you want more of that?

I recently read that he spent £4m at Ipswich in 4 years and after keeping them up in his first season they finished 9th,6th and 7th. Not bad on a budget imo

10 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Keep monk and give him time to develop a new squad and team. It will take time but sacking managers every 12 months doesn't work either. 

I think some of the reason Monk is not everybody's favourite is his total lack of charisma. 

He doesn't have the loveable characteristics of Carlos or the proven record of Bruce nor the weird accent in both cases. I won't bother with Jos the loss. 

Edited by A12owl
1 minute ago, Django said:

I recently read that he spent £4m at Ipswich in 4 years and after keeping them up in his first season they finished 9th,6th and 7th. Not bad on a budget imo

He spent ten quid in the final year but he's still boring. 

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Like Monk at Birmingham?

:ph34r:

I’m not disputing that Monk did a good job at Birmingham. The run since Christmas is very concerning though and doubts have crept in for me

5 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Paul Cooke..he’s leavin Wigan at the end of the season..it’s a no brainer

Decent managers with good decent records won’t come here . Why would they ? They know they’d have a muppet of an owner to answer to , limited funds and a really poor squad 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Django said:

The fact that Monk wasted Middlesbrough’s entire parachute payment war chest, doesn’t fill me with any confidence that he’s the man to rebuild our squad for the long term

How much did he spend at Boro ? They were already 12m better off when they sold Reach and Rhodes to us.

For me the best two for us would be either Bruce or Nigel Pearson. But as neither of these are possibilities then I’m struggling to come up with anyone. Don’t like Monk but would prefer him to McCarthy . 

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

I feel the same way mate. I was just trying to avert DC asking Paxo to get him "Mike Bassett...." 

Paxo would still probably get it wrong and we’d end up with Bertie Bassett.

• Haha 1