GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

37 minutes ago, Mr Tom said:

What was his spend in Smoggyland? 

Are you enjoying watching the football displays and tactics hes shown since hes been at the club?

Please point out to me as I cannot grasp it at all. What makes you think GM has got it to succeed here?

To also add, I'm not asking for Pep / Barca-esque football I just wouldn't mind now and again not wanting to punch walls out after watching our games. 

Perhaps football isn't the game for you...croquet perhaps? I know a good therapist btw

• Like 1

Guest Mr Tom
Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Perhaps football isn't the game for you...croquet perhaps? I know a good therapist btw

Great, send me her pic & number, I have the same addiction as Michael Douglas btw

I've posted this on here before, but seeing as we keep going around in circles, it seems relevant to the current topic too...

Nobody needs telling that after a very promising first half of the season, our form post-Christmas has been appalling, and it's perfectly understandable that many have doubts about Monk as a result of that.

However, if, as he says, Monk has used the lockdown to reflect on things and wants to change the brand of football we play going forward, then I for one am happy to see him given that chance.

It's worth remembering that at 41 Monk is still very young in managerial terms, and although he's managed a fair number of games - he's already taken charge of 160 Championship games and nearly 70 Premier League games - it may well be that his managerial style is still open to significant change, improvement and reinvention.

A large factor in my willingness to give him time is that we don't yet know what a Monk project might look like, to be honest: the closest he's come to building anything long-term was in his first post at Swansea, where he kept them up after initially taking over, then guided them to 8th place in the Premier League during his only full season there. The following season, he was sacked with Swansea sat 15th in the Premier League.

Since then, some harsh sackings and perhaps the odd poor decision of his own have conspired to rob him of the chance to build anything which could reasonably be called a 'project'. Walking out on Leeds after turning them from habitual mid-table also-rans into playoff contenders meant that we didn't get a chance to see how he might have kicked on there; Middlesbrough sacked him after half a season when they sat three points off the playoff places; and then Birmingham got rid after his first full season saw him overcome their nine-point deduction and guide them to mid-table safety.

He's seen the best and the worst of our squad during his short time at the helm, and will already have an idea of who he can rely on and who needs moving on. Although it's only three games, the early signs of a new togetherness and recognisable style of play are evident, as well.

If he really has used the enforced break from football to take stock, reflect and draw up a new plan for how he wants his teams to play the game, then I'm happy for him to be given the chance to get it right with Wednesday without hounding him for every slip he makes along the way.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Well no, I determine a good manager on other criteria as well. Stuff like tactics, motivation, playing style, results. Basically all the things that a manager's supposed to get right and he isn't doing.

The bloke's been at 5 clubs in less than 5 years, been sacked by 4 of them and is fortunate that he's still in a job here given he was on the brink due to results and performances when the season was put on hold. The fanbase finally had enough and turned on him vocally at Brentford, not many managers last for very long when that happens. Hardly seems like the sort of person you'd entrust with the club's most important rebuilding process in years.

Fair comments but...

1: he may not want to stay anyway

2: if he did stay it would be down to DC offering him a new contract meaning he's not looking elsewhere.

3. Wednesday fans are fickle, we weren't exactly complaining up to Christmas were we, even though it was clear to me we were in a false position.

4. This squad has underperformed since the udders semi final, even Bruce was starting to struggle.

5. We have no idea what his remit is under DC. Could it be similar to Jos which I suspect was prepare for L1 on a shoestring.

6. Alternatively, The fact he brought no staff with him suggests he's a temporary appointment until the EFL case is done.

So considering all that what are you expecting. Who do you want?

1: We are not an attractive proposition.

2: whoever comes in will need at least three maybe even four or five windows to rebuild from cast offs and loanees.

No well known established manager is going to accept that much if a challenge so to me we'd end up taking a punt on another unknown and probably end up having the same conversation in 12 months time.

Is it better the devil we know? 

My major concern is that we will be signing a lot of players over the summer so we have to get our recruitment right. In many ways this is our big opportunity to completely reshape the squad.

I look at Monks recruitment record at other clubs and it isn't good. Do we really trust him to bring in the players that will take us forward?

3 hours ago, Mr Tom said:

I wholeheartedly agree, but why keep chucking money at something when it's clearly not going to work?

GM does not give me anything that I think, Yeah give him time and he'll crack it. Hes just a Ginger Jos with a worse record.

Give a manager time and effort but not this one, when was the last time we scored so few at home? 

I honestly just prefer monk to dross cus at least he talks with a bit of passion. He seems to care. I just couldn’t relate to jos. He bored the shiyte out of me 😂

Guest Mr Tom
Just now, Derbyshireowl3 said:

I honestly just prefer monk to dross cus at least he talks with a bit of passion. He seems to care. I just couldn’t relate to jos. He bored the shiyte out of me 😂

Passion? is that the bit where he keeps looking behind him?

Guest Mr Tom
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So now we need to sack a manager because he keeps looking around whilst talking?

Amazing stuff

yep

sitting looking straight forward is also not allowed

1 hour ago, Theboylangers said:

If Monk stays, he needs to find a way to play and win (even score) at home.

I have no problem with the away form but at home we are struggling badly.

And this for me is down to tactics. 

I think he knows how he wants his team to play but he's not got the right players yet, I do like this system of 3 at back but you need 2 wide players that are going to get up and down pitch for 90 minutes.

I thought having Windass and Murphy up top last night would have worked but though Windass did ok Murphy seemed a bit unsure at times.

Think some people are excusing Monk way too much here 

Ffs, you’re acting like he walked into the battle of Alamo

EVERY dressing room will have a few cheeky chaps/bad eggs. 

Overcomplicating the job of someone in football again.

Its a simple game, he coaches the side, and has got 17pts from 63 

The home form is amongst the worst I’ve seen of any club in history 

These players have proven away from home they’re a fairly talented bunch. So what’s going on at home? The awful way monk sets us up? 

3rd to 23rd is all the players fault? How on earth do you drop from 3 to 23 based on ability? 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Think some people are excusing Monk way too much here 

Ffs, you’re acting like he walked into the battle of Alamo

EVERY dressing room will have a few cheeky chaps/bad eggs. 

Overcomplicating the job of someone in football again.

Its a simple game, he coaches the side, and has got 17pts from 63 

The home form is amongst the worst I’ve seen of any club in history 

These players have proven away from home they’re a fairly talented bunch. So what’s going on at home? The awful way monk sets us up? 

3rd to 23rd is all the players fault? How on earth do you drop from 3 to 23 based on ability? 

And there's me thinking that we're 15th...wtf do I know

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Form table, cmon you knew that 

There's TWO matches left and without this EFL crap hanging over us we'd be on the beach ( if we could get a flight out  😄) saying that Monk had started the transition that was much needed from CC's squad had had failed.

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 2