GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

Just now, Roy Of The Roasters said:

One thing we've NOT done with Monk is chuck money at him. One reason some of us are willing to give him time is that he can't just go out and buy a replacement squad. He needs to scour the remainder bins so to speak.

It's far too early to say that it's "clearly" not going to work, especially when any replacement is going to have to do the same.

Bang on

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He got a creditable 88 points from 67 games and an overall goal difference of just -5 in the Premier League when he was at an unfashionable Swansea team. Quite a feat for someone who is "hopeless". 

And as for getting worse as his career progressed, remind me again how he did at Birmingham when they were given a points deduction?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

One thing we've NOT done with Monk is chuck money at him. One reason some of us are willing to give him time is that he can't just go out and buy a replacement squad. He needs to scour the remainder bins so to speak.

It's far too early to say that it's "clearly" not going to work, especially when any replacement is going to have to do the same.

After the way he spunked £50m at Boro and made them worse, the last thing we want to do with Monk is chuck money at him.

Guest Mr Tom
8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

And somewhat offset by the fact that we are also joint highest scorers away from home. Strange, but a bit swings and roundabouts really.

He got a creditable 88 points from 67 games and an overall goal difference of just -5 in the Premier League when he was at an unfashionable Swansea team. Quite a feat for someone who is "hopeless". 

Given that we are a cash-strapped mid-table Championship club with a threadbare squad and doubt regarding which division we'll even be in next season, what sort of success are you willing to accept in a new manager?

What was his spend in Smoggyland? 

Are you enjoying watching the football displays and tactics hes shown since hes been at the club?

Please point out to me as I cannot grasp it at all. What makes you think GM has got it to succeed here?

To also add, I'm not asking for Pep / Barca-esque football I just wouldn't mind now and again not wanting to punch walls out after watching our games. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tom said:

What was his spend in Smoggyland? 

Are you enjoying watching the football displays and tactics hes shown since hes been at the club?

Please point out to me as I cannot grasp it at all. What makes you think GM has got it to succeed here?

To also add, I'm not asking for Pep / Barca-esque football I just wouldn't mind now and again not wanting to punch walls out after watching our games. 

https://www.angermanage.co.uk

Chill bro

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately, this is where debate is these days - on almost any subject. 

Monk's detractors seem to want to mitigate, excuse, ignore or deny even the tiniest hint of a positive and accentuate, exaggerate or even flat out make up negatives. I'm trying to be a bit more objective about it. Monk is a mediocre manager at a (currently) mediocre club with mediocre resources and mediocre squad. If he gets sacked, then I'm not going to be marching in the streets in protest. 

Look at Jose Mourinho's career as an example. Clearly much of it has been an unqualified success with numerous trophies in multiple countries. Yet recently, his record has been considerably more modest, especially given the clubs and funding he's had. So is he great or crap? Is he both or neither? Things are much more complicated than assigning everything a single value of '0' or '1'.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

After the way he spunked £50m at Boro and made them worse, the last thing we want to do with Monk is chuck money at him.

That is what determines a good or bad manager in your eyes?

A bad transfer window three years ago and two clubs ago.

Do you think he may have learnt from that?

It's like no other manager in history has brought in players who on paper should improve your squad but didn't for whatever reason. Andy Carrol at LFC anyone, Alexis Sanchez at MU. Jordan Rhodes at some club called Sheffield or summat. I could go on.

Do you think that experience may have tempered his urge to spend big and may make him a little more cautious

• Like 1

Be interesting to find out who wanted Gary Monk as manager and what there opinion is now.

I personally was not too fussed as still was pissed off by departure of Old Potato  head.

However I always  fully support every manager that we have appointed since following the Owls. 

All managers deserve a fair crack, has Gary Monk had  a

fair chance has he hell. I m sure when DC appointed him, DC didnt say "oh by the way you might have another EFL enquiry and possible points 

loss to contend with" With the overpaid underachieving mardy egos in the squad the job was doubly difficult for anyone. 

Even Bruce knew that it would take a good number of windows to rebuild the squad.   

Therefore he fully deserves the opportunity to rebuild the squad, will he be successful I honestly dont know!

But for now he has my 100% backing.

Edited by Big Jack
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Well, he's not going to get £50m to spaff up a wall at our gaff, so the observation isn't really valid. He's going to have to operate a different way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Well, he's not going to get £50m to spaff up a wall at our gaff, so the observation isn't really valid. He's going to have to operate a different way.

They relax the FFP rules next season. You never know.

Guest Mr Tom
14 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Monk's detractors seem to want to mitigate, excuse, ignore or deny even the tiniest hint of a positive and accentuate, exaggerate or even flat out make up negatives. I'm trying to be a bit more objective about it. Monk is a mediocre manager at a (currently) mediocre club with mediocre resources and mediocre squad. If he gets sacked, then I'm not going to be marching in the streets in protest. 

Look at Jose Mourinho's career as an example. Clearly much of it has been an unqualified success with numerous trophies in multiple countries. Yet recently, his record has been considerably more modest, especially given the clubs and funding he's had. So is he great or crap? Is he both or neither? Things are much more complicated than assigning everything a single value of '0' or '1'.

OK give the positives for Monk

8 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

That is what determines a good or bad manager in your eyes?

A bad transfer window three years ago and two clubs ago.

Do you think he may have learnt from that?

It's like no other manager in history has brought in players who on paper should improve your squad but didn't for whatever reason. Andy Carrol at LFC anyone, Alexis Sanchez at MU. Jordan Rhodes at some club called Sheffield or summat. I could go on.

Do you think that experience may have tempered his urge to spend big and may make him a little more cautious

Well no, I determine a good manager on other criteria as well. Stuff like tactics, motivation, playing style, results. Basically all the things that a manager's supposed to get right and he isn't doing.

The bloke's been at 5 clubs in less than 5 years, been sacked by 4 of them and is fortunate that he's still in a job here given he was on the brink due to results and performances when the season was put on hold. The fanbase finally had enough and turned on him vocally at Brentford, not many managers last for very long when that happens. Hardly seems like the sort of person you'd entrust with the club's most important rebuilding process in years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I give this post 1 point.

:ph34r:

• Haha 3

Just now, Mr Tom said:

OK give the positives for Monk

So you can make a start on ascribing all of them to luck, cheating, desperation, someone else or whatever in exactly the way I described a few posts ago? 

Plenty of potential mitigations have been posted over the course of several months. A little while ago I posted his Premier League record at Swansea, which under the circumstances was pretty good. But you likely won't accept any of them anyway, so what's the point?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

We haven't even gave him any money for his own backroom staff never mind players...can you imagine Bruce coming here with out any of his team?

• Like 2

Guest Theboylangers

If Monk stays, he needs to find a way to play and win (even score) at home.

I have no problem with the away form but at home we are struggling badly.

And this for me is down to tactics.