GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

3 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Assuming DC is keeping Monk, it would be good to hear from him as to why he thinks he is the right man to rebuild.

At the press conference when he was appointed he only said Monk was the right appointment for now, so if he is sticking with him I’m sure it would help the manager with existing players, and new ones, to come out and give him renewed backing.

Why would any chairman do that for any manager?

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Assuming DC is keeping Monk, it would be good to hear from him as to why he thinks he is the right man to rebuild.

At the press conference when he was appointed he only said Monk was the right appointment for now, so if he is sticking with him I’m sure it would help the manager with existing players, and new ones, to come out and give him renewed backing.

You mean the dreaded “ vote of confidence “

41 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

He’d be better off bringing in a couple back room staff for him. 

Sends a clear messages he’s the man and we are getting behind him.

Would like to see him and Clotet work together again but I’m not sure that will happen. 

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why would any chairman do that for any manager?

I remember the Wednesday Chairman at the time speaking in the press to back Ron Atkinson when we were relegated. Then again he genuinely believed in Atkinson. DC doesn’t genuinely believe in Monk IMO, so I doubt he will.

17 hours ago, 0114 said:

He’d be better off bringing in a couple back room staff for him. 

Sends a clear messages he’s the man and we are getting behind him.

Would like to see him and Clotet work together again but I’m not sure that will happen. 

no chance from what I read elsewhere 

When is Monk's contract up? Wasn't it until the end of the season? I've not heard anything about an extension yet unless I've missed it. Feels like that should be sorted either way before players start coming in.

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's a rolling one year contract reportedly, so strictly speaking the answer is never.

Thanks. Wouldn't that mean it's been extended for another year as the season has ended, unless it's up to the playoff final date...find it strange that nothing has been announced.

4 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

Thanks. Wouldn't that mean it's been extended for another year as the season has ended, unless it's up to the playoff final date...find it strange that nothing has been announced.

No, it means there's permanently a year remaining on it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

No, it means there's permanently a year remaining on it. 

Does that mean he never leaves, as he always has one year to go? 

This sounds like some sort of hell on earth, eternal damnation, for both him and especially us!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Does that mean he never leaves, as he always has one year to go? 

This sounds like some sort of hell on earth, eternal damnation, for both him and especially us!  

No it means that if he gets the sack we only have to pay him a years wages...unlike sacking a manager on a five year contract and having to pay him four and a half years of his contract...it's a no brainer

32 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

No it means that if he gets the sack we only have to pay him a years wages...unlike sacking a manager on a five year contract and having to pay him four and a half years of his contract...it's a no brainer

Somebody with no brain must have given this loser a contract which means that at whatever moment he inevitably gets the boot he walks away with a year's salary meaning many tens of thousands thrown away by the club. 

A fixed one-year contact would have meant that next week he could have been rightly given the boot with only one month's pay wasted, enough to tide him over...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Somebody with no brain must have given this loser a contract which means that at whatever moment he inevitably gets the boot he walks away with a year's salary meaning many tens of thousands thrown away by the club. 

A fixed one-year contact would have meant that next week he could have been rightly given the boot with only one month's pay wasted, enough to tide him over...

I'm sure managers would be falling over themselves to go to a club where they can be removed without compensation after just a few months. The rolling contract makes sense as there is some security for both parties.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 18:45, Spondon Owl said:

He didn't. We didn't finish the season in 3rd. 

I'm not against Monk I just have no reason to believe he is capable of moving us forward. Literally none.

we were well above our punching weight when in 3rd. 

we fell away through the injury of our one capable forward. i think this, you think not, but it's what dc thinks that matters 100%

• Like 1