GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

Monk has a record that is no better and maybe even a little worse than Lukuhay’s yet for some on here, he is above criticism?

Yet there was a free reign for everybody to have a pop at Lukuhay when all he did is exactly what Monk’s done? Jos tried to freeze out certain players, yet was wrong? Monk’s done the same, yet is right?

I’m not going to argue that there are issues at the club beyond Monk’s control? Undoubtedly there is and I understand that. I was a big critic of Lukuhay’s as I have been Monk but arguably Lukuhay handled things better but I stand to be corrected and most likely will be? 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Minton said:

3 wins in 17 league games begs to differ...

Woeful set of results from a woeful situation, I agree with you. 

I'm not surprised we are where we are, are you? 

Looking from the outside in, I find it challenging to blame any particular person, Monk in particular. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Duran said:

without sounding like a stuck record.. I'm one of his supporters.. I want him to be given an opportunity

to build a team, which he can do this summer / pre-season

If it goes to a crock of sheitte by xmas (ie not in top 10).. then I'll be not one of his supporters.. simples.

Which we won’t be then we’ve wasted another season or two plus we will be stuck with players the next manager doesn’t want. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I actually cant beleive there are any of you!

I'm not his biggest fan but I'll give him my support whilst he's in the job. 

However I'd be interested to know who was our last manager that you did support?

I actually cant beleive there are any of you!

I actually cant believe there are any that think removing Monk so early will solve the problem.  Give him time and resource and support him.

Edited by Striggy
  • Like 2

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

13 minutes ago, Striggy said:

I actually cant believe there are any that think removing Monk so early will solve the problem.  Give him time and resource and support him.

I don't think it will solve the problem, but he isn't the solution either!

Chansiri's Advisers, Recruitment Team, Scouting Team, Monk, All first team coaches, Academy coaches, Medical team have all got to go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Chansiri's Advisers, Recruitment Team, Scouting Team, Monk, All first team coaches, Academy coaches, Medical team have all got to go!

aint gonna happen though is it?

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Joining a club partway through a season

Like Harris at Cardiff, Rowett at Millwall, Bowen at Reading, O'Neill at Stoke, and Struber at Barnsley - every single one of whom have taken more points per game since their appointment. Only with Cowley does Monk's record compare - and then only equally.

not being able / allowed to bring in any of his own coaching staff

Yes, not ideal.

coaching an imbalanced squad lacking quality and depth in several areas

Like the vast majority of sides at this level you mean?

twice having to coach players who haven't been paid on time

Also not ideal.

having a potential points deduction hanging over the squad's head for half eight months and counting

A testing situation for sure, and yet though it's right to acknowledge it as a mitigating circumstance, it can't be said he's done anything other than a lacklustre job in maintaining results - and I'm being more than charitable in describing results since the EFL charge merely as lacklustre.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Amazing stuff

Owlstalk Shop

Maybe the difference between me and you, I don't hope for better days, I demand it!

Perhaps I’ve just got used to mediocrity , there’s been too many barren years , I started in 1971 when we were poor but the potential was there , not much has  changed really .  

Guest Mr Tom
2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I am sure Monk dont want to pick half the players he does when he picks his team. But he doesn't have a lot of choice. 

What he has done though is find a formation for us to play. Let's give him the summer to get his own players in it.

What has Monk shown to you that warrants him in charge of the chequebook?

I'm totally unconvinced with his football style and fear come September he'll be let go but we'll then be saddled with his players for 2/3 years.

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

Like Harris at Cardiff, Rowett at Millwall, Bowen at Reading, O'Neill at Stoke, and Struber at Barnsley - every single one of whom have taken more points per game since their appointment. Only with Cowley does Monk's record compare - and then only equally.

Yes, not ideal.

Like the vast majority of sides at this level you mean?

Also not ideal.

A testing situation for sure, and yet though it's right to acknowledge it as a mitigating circumstance, it can't be said he's done anything other than a lacklustre job in maintaining results - and I'm being more than charitable in describing results since the EFL charge merely as lacklustre.

As I said, I can understand why some fans want Monk to be replaced; I just don't think that way myself at this moment in time.

Yes, other managers have joined clubs partway through the season and achieved better results, but for me you need to look at the wider context of each club to judge them against each other.

As you say, it's not ideal to have a new manager who has to rely on an already threadbare coaching staff alone - when Bruce left, he took our two most senior coaches with him...and they've still not been replaced. Again, it's hard to compare like-for-like unless the other managers also had to manage against a backdrop of late wage payments and a potential points deduction hanging over their heads since November.

And then I look at our squad: once Fletcher got injured, we had a choice of Winnall, Rhodes or Nuhiu upfront during a hectic period of games and were only able to add one experienced striker at the end of the transfer window in the woefully unfit Wickham. We've had to play Palmer at centre back in recent games due to a lack of options - the player who was behind Hunt as first-choice rightback for years. Now that Fox has declined to extend his contract, we don't have a single recognised senior leftback to talk of.

We have an absolute Frankenstein's monster of a squad, which Bruce talked about being a long-term project to overhaul. Results since Christmas have been shocking on the whole, but a mid-table finish is about par for the course given everything else that's been going on, and barring the EFL's intervention, that's where we'll end up.

I'm not blind to the fact that Monk could have done better in some situations, but I also don't think he's a hopeless cause as some appear to. If we give him the context in which he could reasonably expect to be a success, then we might just start to see things improve going forward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Tom said:

What has Monk shown to you that warrants him in charge of the chequebook?

I'm totally unconvinced with his football style and fear come September he'll be let go but we'll then be saddled with his players for 2/3 years.

But surely a new manager should be able to come in, work with any players he's saddled with and get promoted?

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop