GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

41 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

There's a thing called a transfer window looming. I'm sure he'll be as keen to move on as the club is to move him on.

Perfect time to sell him.

We had one of those last January and according to reports Chansiri pulled the plug on him leaving at the last minute after a deal had been agreed.

Anybody got confidence in DC getting it right this transfer window?

I haven't.

Did nobody watch the build up to the Swansea game where they showed the ‘lowlights’ of the reverse fixture at Hillsborough? Westwood cost us twice in that game with two appalling errors. He was rightfully dropped not long after.

There is also something brilliantly ridiculous about a thread where people are bemoaning the lack of goals scored at home, then asking for a goalkeeper to be reinstated to turn results around. Off the back of two clean sheets for Wildsmith too. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, erowl said:

We had one of those last January and according to reports Chansiri pulled the plug on him leaving at the last minute after a deal had been agreed.

Anybody got confidence in DC getting it right this transfer window?

I haven't.

Then that is to do with DC , not Westy or Monk.

He needs to go and I'm sure someone will come in for him. With the likely deflation in transfer fees it might be the perfect opportunity. If he refuses. Pay him off a get him gone.

19 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If he'd have refused to sit on the bench under Big Ron, Howard Wilkinson he'd have been out of the club within a couple of weeks. Big Jack would have probably chinned him before kicking him out

Agreed, but that was in the days when the manager was actually in charge not only of the team but transfers coming in and out of the club. Nowadays the players and greedy agents have too much power and it's generally quicker and easier to lose the manager than the players.

Edited by full fathom five
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I just want the short termism to stop. I'm not particularly pro or anti Monk, but I believe in giving him a chance to create a system of play and mould a team, including his own backroom staff.

I honestly believe some on here are stuck in the 90s when we were a top team. 

Apart from a brief purple patch in Carlos's first season we have been gash for two decades.

DC applied the wrong strategy for quick success and we are paying for it now.

It's going to take two or three seasons sort out the mess to build a platform to challenge for promotion.

Just face reality...

... End of message.

So by your reckoning we should have given Jos two or three seasons to sort out the mess to build a platform to challenge for promotion?

Just face reality..... it doesn't make sense to keep bad managers just for the sake of it, hoping they can turn it round rather than showing any signs that they are capable of such a task.

....End of message.

Let's also listen to him when he says the transition won't be complete within this next window. 

People see / hear what they want re a set perspective or agenda

Many Positives to discuss, such as the competition and friendships between our two keeps. 

5 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

So by your reckoning we should have given Jos two or three seasons to sort out the mess to build a platform to challenge for promotion?

Just face reality..... it doesn't make sense to keep bad managers just for the sake of it, hoping they can turn it round rather than showing any signs that they are capable of such a task.

....End of message.

His was a different kettle of fish. No one understood him within or without the club.

It's difficult to say what might have happened if he'd stayed longer. L1 definitely, but that might happen anyway.

You keep bleating about this misnomer Monk's a bad manager. He's as average manager of which we've had many over the last twenty years, being hamstrung by the situation we're in.

Chopping and changing is not working. We've had eight managers in ten years. It's rounduns.

I'm prepared to give monk more time as long as he can bring in his own staff and players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tarn owl said:

I like monk and he is doing fine with the situation he has been given. Now he needs time to change a poor squad and team. 

If this is correct why wasn't Jos given the same time to change this poor squad and team. I don't recall people on here fighting to offer Jos the same leniency that they are willing to offer Monk which seems strange as they generally had the same issues to deal with and both produced some awful football.

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

His was a different kettle of fish. No one understood him within or without the club.

It's difficult to say what might have happened if he'd stayed longer. L1 definitely, but that might happen anyway.

You keep bleating about this misnomer Monk's a bad manager. He's as average manager of which we've had many over the last twenty years, being hamstrung by the situation we're in.

Chopping and changing is not working. We've had eight managers in ten years. It's rounduns.

I'm prepared to give monk more time as long as he can bring in his own staff and players.

Why was it a different kettle of fish? because it doesn't suit your argument? They both had the same players and issues to work with and both produced some god awful football and had about the same results so what's so different to giving Monk all this time to build but not Jos???

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

I like how Monk is constantly being compared to other managers who:

• Have had a full pre-season to work with a squad (the upcoming pre-season wont be a regular one too)

We could just compare him to the other managers in this division that have joined their clubs around the time Monk joined us.

He's under-performing the lot, Harris, Rowett, Bowen, O'Neill - even Struber at Barnsley. Only with Cowley does his record compare.

36 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

....End of message.

But Jos was at least given a fair crack at it before he was judged.

Monk hasnt been able to bring in his own staff

Hasnt been afforded a full pre season
Hasnt been allowed to bring in any permanent transfers of his own

15 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Why was it a different kettle of fish? because it doesn't suit your argument? They both had the same players and issues to work with and both produced some god awful football and had about the same results so what's so different to giving Monk all this time to build but not Jos???

Not at all. It was clear he'd lost the players and they had no clue what he wanted. He wasn't the right fit and the squad makeup was much different than it is now.

The group we have now although mediocre at least seem to be together.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cowl said:

We could just compare him to the other managers in this division that have joined their clubs around the time Monk joined us.

He's under-performing the lot, Harris, Rowett, Bowen, O'Neill - even Struber at Barnsley. Only with Cowley does his record compare.

Did those you mention ALL get to appoint their own trusted staff or make do with previously failed ones that the club have retained out of sentiment?

Its also funny, to think that the managers with some of the divisions better squads (Stoke and Huddersfield) are the managers struggling.

Its also funny, how one of the sets of managers with the better squad, that is struggling was wanted here by so many - bullet dodged.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

If this is correct why wasn't Jos given the same time to change this poor squad and team. I don't recall people on here fighting to offer Jos the same leniency that they are willing to offer Monk which seems strange as they generally had the same issues to deal with and both produced some awful football.

I would have given Jos longer, playing 3 at the back and wanting a younger team. They are similar in some ways. Some people think change is always the answer rather than patience. I would give each manager 3 years in charge as I don't think you see their true impact on the entire club until then. Only fire if actually in relegation zone after 30 games or so. Not this we are 16th so let's get rid after 10 month. But I think modern football isn't on the same wavelength as me. 

1 minute ago, tarn owl said:

I would have given Jos longer, playing 3 at the back and wanting a younger team. They are similar in some ways. Some people think change is always the answer rather than patience. I would give each manager 3 years in charge as I don't think you see their true impact on the entire club until then. Only fire if actually in relegation zone after 30 games or so. Not this we are 16th so let's get rid after 10 month. But I think modern football isn't on the same wavelength as me. 

We would be out of the football league if we did this with some of the managers we've had lately.

11 minutes ago, Miffed said:

But Jos was at least given a fair crack at it before he was judged.

Monk hasnt been able to bring in his own staff

Hasnt been afforded a full pre season
Hasnt been allowed to bring in any permanent transfers of his own

Jos had about a month longer than Monk has had.

Jos signed Pelupessy, Monk's just re signed him

11 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Not at all. It was clear he'd lost the players and they had no clue what he wanted. He wasn't the right fit and the squad makeup was much different than it is now.

The group we have now although mediocre at least seem to be together.

Just like now then