Steve Bruce - One Year Ago Today

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Baffles me how people are still suprised that he left this absolute shitshow for his home town club in the Premier League.

I'm not surprised.

He's got previous for walking out on clubs.

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Crap how he went about leaving, but I'd take him back.

At this level, there's not many better.

Agreed

The division this year is incredibly weak, Id have backed him to have got us in the top 6 this season 

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The only problem I have with Bruce is the fact that we should have got him as soon as he Left Dull city.

We would have gone up that season instead of surrendering to Huddersfield.

That's with a big dollop of hindsight though.

Not many teams would sack a manager having missed out on promotion in the play off final. 

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wouldnt take him back. You wouldn't be able to shake the feeling his heart wouldn't be in it and wouldnt stay long.

Doesn't seem to stay anywhere very long. he'll end managing Watford one day, they'd be ideal for him.

Great manager at this level, but what he did in his time at Hillsboro wasn't rocket science. Getting rid of those who offered little apart from draining the resources was common sense and the type of player he signed had been mentioned on here for years.

I thought he'd be off as soon as any other offer came along - he's all for himself, but would happily have eaten humble pie if I was wrong. It's interesting that although he's a local boy, a lot of toon fans can't take to him, Bobby Robson he clearly ain't,

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

Was anyone else really disappointed with him not releasing a statement to thank and apologise to the fans?

I'd say probably 99% of our fan base are hostile towards him, but if he took 2 minutes to make a statement, a lot more (not most) would have had respect for him. All he had to say was "I'm very grateful for the opportunity the chairman here gave me and he really supported me when I had a torrid time in my person life. I'm sorry to have left without getting the job done of taking Wednesday back to where they belong, but I couldn't turn down the chance to manage the club I support, as I don't know if I'll get it again, I wish you all the best for the upcoming season"

I found it really usual that he didn't do this, he must know how shi tty it is what he did and how hated it would make him. Why not spend a few minutes to show some humility and regret?

Opportunity missed, genuinly think we would have been top 6 at least.

Not because this squad is good enough, but he would have made more progress with necessary recruitment. Once he left, our preparations went into stasis in terms of recruiting and coaching. Bullen kept it ticking over, but with no real plan and our delay in appointing a manager effectively wasted the season. 

Not of our doing, but we didn't help ourselves when Bruce abandoned us. 

• Like 2