Steve Bruce - One Year Ago Today

No problem with him moving to a better a job.  Problem I have was the timing. They say there is no loyalty in this sport, well there certainly isn’t when the likes of Bruce take the easy route. After the club showed so much loyalty by letting him have a month off as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

If he becomes available again. I would have him back.

Joking aren't you? 

We need a manager in for the long haul, not another 12 month stab at it and then back off to a relegation threatened Premier side that needs a kick 

7 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The Newcastle fans hate him.

They did in the beginning but i think hes won/winning the vast majority over now. If you look at his record, it is actually better than Benitez at a similar stage of the season last year. Newcastle have more points and all the pundits are now saying they are playing better football than they did under Benitez. 

26 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

No problem with him moving to a better a job.  Problem I have was the timing. They say there is no loyalty in this sport, well there certainly isn’t when the likes of Bruce take the easy route. After the club showed so much loyalty by letting him have a month off as well. 

Agreed...he left us in a mess without a second thought.

Demonstrated in 6 months how crucial a proper manager is. He could have been one of our best.

Listened tona few of those under the cosh podcasts and the amount of ex players that describe Bruce as the best man manager they've worked with is crazy 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Joking aren't you? 

We need a manager in for the long haul, not another 12 month stab at it and then back off to a relegation threatened Premier side that needs a kick 

If it had been Norwich after him I dont think he would have gone. And most on here want a new manager every 12 months anyway.

• Like 1

No issue with Bruce moving. We was under an embargo, so it was probably frustrating for him.

The sway of it being Newcastle in the Premier League he was always going to go. To be fair to him he’s done really well there. 

The biggest issue I had at the time was that Wednesday didn’t replace him for 2 months. The second Bruce made it known he wanted to leave the club should have acted to bring in a manager. I mean they could have hired Garry Monk 2 months earlier than we did. It was poor from the club to leave that until September. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

No issue with Bruce moving. We was under an embargo, so it was probably frustrating for him.

The sway of it being Newcastle in the Premier League he was always going to go. To be fair to him he’s done really well there. 

The biggest issue I had at the time was that Wednesday didn’t replace him for 2 months. The second Bruce made it known he wanted to leave the club should have acted to bring in a manager. I mean they could have hired Garry Monk 2 months earlier than we did. It was poor from the club to leave that until September. 

Totally agree with that. We cant control managers leaving really but could have controlled what we did next.

I think that Bruce would have left if it was someone else. I have a feeling that what he thought he was coming into was nowhere near the reality. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dot said:

I can say with pretty much 100% certainty

that if Bruce had stayed we would not be 15th in the league (at the time of writing) on 56 points right now

anyone who says otherwise is off their head

highlights how crap monk is

100% right.

AND it getting Bruce proves that given time we can attract a better manager than Monk has proved himself to be.

4 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

I’m not at all convinced that giving Bruce a month off at the start was a case of “ the club showed so much loyalty”- it was perhaps more a case of that Bruce made that one of his conditions for accepting the role and coming to SWFC in the first place.

I reckon  Chansiri made a judgement call at the time to accept that condition and, in fairness to him, I think it was probably the right call at the time.

It’s disappointing the way things have turned out since, but that’s life and we move on.

19 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

I’m not at all convinced that giving Bruce a month off at the start was a case of “ the club showed so much loyalty”- it was perhaps more a case of that Bruce made that one of his conditions for accepting the role and coming to SWFC in the first place.

I reckon  Chansiri made a judgement call at the time to accept that condition and, in fairness to him, I think it was probably the right call at the time.

It’s disappointing the way things have turned out since, but that’s life and we move on.

Either way, swfc and Chansiri  showed more class and respect towards him than he did towards us. 

• Like 3