10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Other than having some decent lung power to run about I don't see he offers anything in the middle other than the occasional long range spanker.

If he's to have any future here it has to be on the left.

Though if we stick with this system...one would worry about his defensive capabilities.

He's practicing for his next career when he gives footy away. A male model in a fashion catalogue. Flowing hair, lots of pointing and standing with his hands on his hips.

That lad will go far.

• Haha 1

This may be in the wrong place as this seems to be the Reach bashing thread, but here goes.

Reach got 20 mins last night and was brought on for Luongo and asked to play CM. Reach is not a natural CM; he can do a job there but not really excel in that position. As has been said repeatedly, he's not great in a tackle and doesn't really enjoy that side of the game. Agreed. This is also why he's not cut out to play LB, simply not up for defending. Fine.

If you look back at Dross' tenure, he was an abysmal, shocking excuse for a manager but one of the few things he did well in was to get the best out of Reach. How did he do that? At the time we were playing more of a 4-2-3-1, with Reach mostly in the middle of an attacking three. This played to Reach's strengths; he could roam around the attacking third, pop off shots whenever he felt like it, drift wide and knock crosses in. He also has the legs to motor around, and is generally one of our fittest players. That's why he won player of the season in 2018, and got eight league goals last season. Play your best players in their best positions and they do well.

This season however with the various systems Monk has played - 4-3-3, 4-4-2, now 3-5-2, Reach does not fit into those systems. He looks like he should make a good LW, but somehow isn't. He'd be better RW IMO as he's better off cutting in on his left foot as an inside forward and getting shots in on goal, and still whip in the odd cross. If he doesn't fit into Monk's systems then when he does play he doesn't do well, which lowers his confidence, and then he gets dropped which lowers it further still. At the moment we have about 16 senior fit players, and he still can't get in the side, so essentially his confidence is at rock bottom.

To be honest I think Reach's obituary as a Wednesday player was written long ago by a lot of our fans. We paid a lot of money for him, so people expect him to be amazing week in week out, which to be fair he was for a couple of seasons. This season however he's been poor, and has been yet another player Monk has failed to get the best out of and whose 'face doesn't fit'. As such I think he probably will go in the close season as there's no point hanging onto a valuable player who doesn't fit into the side. It's a massive shame for me though as always been a big Reach fan and always will be, and I lay the blame for his demise mostly at Monk's feet.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

This may be in the wrong place as this seems to be the Reach bashing thread, but here goes.

Reach got 20 mins last night and was brought on for Luongo and asked to play CM. Reach is not a natural CM; he can do a job there but not really excel in that position. As has been said repeatedly, he's not great in a tackle and doesn't really enjoy that side of the game. Agreed. This is also why he's not cut out to play LB, simply not up for defending. Fine.

If you look back at Dross' tenure, he was an abysmal, shocking excuse for a manager but one of the few things he did well in was to get the best out of Reach. How did he do that? At the time we were playing more of a 4-2-3-1, with Reach mostly in the middle of an attacking three. This played to Reach's strengths; he could roam around the attacking third, pop off shots whenever he felt like it, drift wide and knock crosses in. He also has the legs to motor around, and is generally one of our fittest players. That's why he won player of the season in 2018, and got eight league goals last season. Play your best players in their best positions and they do well.

This season however with the various systems Monk has played - 4-3-3, 4-4-2, now 3-5-2, Reach does not fit into those systems. He looks like he should make a good LW, but somehow isn't. He'd be better RW IMO as he's better off cutting in on his left foot as an inside forward and getting shots in on goal, and still whip in the odd cross. If he doesn't fit into Monk's systems then when he does play he doesn't do well, which lowers his confidence, and then he gets dropped which lowers it further still. At the moment we have about 16 senior fit players, and he still can't get in the side, so essentially his confidence is at rock bottom.

To be honest I think Reach's obituary as a Wednesday player was written long ago by a lot of our fans. We paid a lot of money for him, so people expect him to be amazing week in week out, which to be fair he was for a couple of seasons. This season however he's been poor, and has been yet another player Monk has failed to get the best out of and whose 'face doesn't fit'. As such I think he probably will go in the close season as there's no point hanging onto a valuable player who doesn't fit into the side. It's a massive shame for me though as always been a big Reach fan and always will be, and I lay the blame for his demise mostly at Monk's feet.

You make a number of good points that should be taken into account when fairly assessing Reach's effectiveness. 

But that does not excuse a lack of fortitude and application. Most of this season he has looked like someone who has no interest in even being here. The guy clearly has considerable talent but anyone who had not seen him before 2019/20 would be struggling to believe that. 

• Like 2

Reach has never been as great as his fans make out, and probably never quite as bad as his critics have made out over the course of his Wednesday career.

What is ultimately frustrating about Reach is that, especially in a 3-man midfield, he should have the attributes to prosper.  'On his day' he's a fairly intelligent player, links play well, has an engine, doesn't need to do heaps of dirty work in a 3... attributes which don't put him a world away from the style of play of someone like Lee (don't get me wrong he's nowhere near the quality that Lee was at).  For whatever reason, he hasn't harnessed it.  But we've found a system that seems to work for the majority of our players, we definitely should not be throwing that out just to try and accommodate Reach.  He has to want to work hard to fit into it.

Post-lockdown, his performances have been absolutely abysmal.  There comes a point when players have to take some responsibility, Monk has given him gametime at LWB, and CM, and to say he's not grasped either opportunity is an understatement.  Whether he's not versatile enough to play in a team that isn't playing exactly the formation he wants, or whether he can't be bothered here anymore, or whether he's not fit, I don't know.  But bar a turnaround these last two games, you're probably looking to wish him well, shake hands and let everyone move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc_Degryse said:

You raise some good points, and there's no doubt, Reach is generally undervalued and unappreciated by many fans. 

For a couple of seasons he was a very consistent player (although perhaps never hit the heights he could have potentially reached...no pun intended)...despite been played in a number of positions. He's one of those players that you wouldn't be surprised to get a move and flourish. 

Very similar to Antonio in a lot a ways. He was deemed to be a high value transfer at the time, and therefore the expectations followed. He failed to reach those expectations, and became undervalued and unappreciated as a result. He gets a move, flourishes and is now one of the most dynamic and versatile forwards in the Premier League!

I've been critical of Reach at times this season, because, for me, his ability is unquestioned...but mentally he appears weak, and that will always hold him back, unless he can find a way to strengthen that part of his game.

I really hope we can find a way of getting the best out of Reach...but his performances since the restart have been shambolic, and screams out "I would rather be anywhere else but here"." Hence, why I'd be surprised if he's here cum the start of next season. I think his agent will have already got him a move lined up (and perhaps the club know it, explaining the reason why Monk has been very reluctant to use him). 

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

You make a number of good points that should be taken into account when fairly assessing Reach's effectiveness. 

But that does not excuse a lack of fortitude and application. Most of this season he has looked like someone who has no interest in even being here. The guy clearly has considerable talent but anyone who had not seen him before 2019/20 would be struggling to believe that. 

I agree, but I tend to look at it from the player's perspective. In the season he played in every single league game, he got asked to fill in at CM and rolled up his sleeves and got on with it. Last season he got his reward; a manager (possibly managers if you factor in Bruce too) that played to his strengths in his best position, and he thrived under that.

Fast forward to this season and look what's happened - he's been asked to play LW where he's tried and failed before, LWB and now CM. Being shunted around the pitch hasn't helped him pick up  a run of form, and being left out of the side and overlooked for inferior players hasn't helped either. I think his desire might have gone now, and unless Monk departs it's probably best to cash in.

8 hours ago, frastheowl said:

You raise some good points, and there's no doubt, Reach is generally undervalued and unappreciated by many fans. 

For a couple of seasons he was a very consistent player (although perhaps never hit the heights he could have potentially reached...no pun intended)...despite been played in a number of positions. He's one of those players that you wouldn't be surprised to get a move and flourish. 

Very similar to Antonio in a lot a ways. He was deemed to be a high value transfer at the time, and therefore the expectations followed. He failed to reach those expectations, and became undervalued and unappreciated as a result. He gets a move, flourishes and is now one of the most dynamic and versatile forwards in the Premier League!

I've been critical of Reach at times this season, because, for me, his ability is unquestioned...but mentally he appears weak, and that will always hold him back, unless he can find a way to strengthen that part of his game.

I really hope we can find a way of getting the best out of Reach...but his performances since the restart have been shambolic, and screams out "I would rather be anywhere else but here"." Hence, why I'd be surprised if he's here cum the start of next season. I think his agent will have already got him a move lined up (and perhaps the club know it, explaining the reason why Monk has been very reluctant to use him). 

Again broadly agree with this, I have no doubt that if Reach leaves he could go on and be really good for someone else if he gets the right manager that believes in him. Mentally you'd have to question him and this would probably stop him being a PL player, but he has been and can be a top championship player.

It's good to see some on here who don't just leap on the band wagon for whatever player is to blame this week. Reach is an easy target, especially with Fox gone and Dawson out of the side. Fox was another underrated player and you might have to question whether the lack of support he got from our fan base contributed to him not signing a new deal. Easily our most improved player this season and you might have to give Monk some credit for that, even if for the most part I don't rate him as a manager.

That's three unpopular opinions now so I suppose I'd better shut up!

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 23:06, pazowl55 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. They could have gone the other way and took us to the premier league. Then we would have been glad we didnt sell them.

Not really. 

I said in Jan 19 sell Reach. 

After Norwich I said sell FF. 

We cant run our club on the Russian Roulette culture of they might have taken us up. 

It’s about time we cut our cloth and build from an affordable base. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds
  • Like 2

A few facts.

Kadeem Harris

Last Assist - 7th of Dec 2019

Games Since - 23

Last Goal - 27 of Nov 2019

Games Since - 25

Nobody has a bad word to say.

Adam Reach

Second highest assists in the squad despite missing a chunk of games and being moved to cover our failings in the centre of the park. 

Multi-page thread on him after every defeat that he plays in.

Getting a bit tiresome now, lads. If only he was a 'tough tackler', the bloke'd get away with murder. 

4 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Getting a bit tiresome now, lads. If only he was a 'tough tackler', the bloke'd get away with murder. 

Sorry, who are you?

16 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

A few facts.

Kadeem Harris

Games Since - 23

Games Since - 25

Adam Reach

Second highest assists in the squad despite missing a chunk of games and being moved to cover our failings in the centre of the park. 

Reach has probably been my favourite player for the last few years. I am just not sure the way Monk wants to play really suits him. And his confidence seems gone. Still wouldnt want him to go though, but if he is just going to sit on the bench every week then it maybe best to get what we can for him.

Edited by pazowl55

10 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

A few facts.

Kadeem Harris

Games Since - 23

Games Since - 25

Adam Reach

If you search for Kadeem Harris on here it won't take you long to find plenty of posts saying plenty of bad words about him.

Harris did go off the boil big time but to be fair it has been harder for him to register assists since Fletcher got injured and since the return he has had a change of position and has done reasonably well at it.

I notice you didn't refer to any stats in terms on Reach's goal scoring record this season. Since the return he has been unable to get back in the side and when he has featured he gave away the penalty for the winning goal at Swansea in ridiculous fashion and looked completely out of sorts against Huddersfield. 

Given the drop in Harris' outputs as you state, I would have thought Reach would have been given the opportunity on the left at some point and I was surprised he hadn't had the chance. Based on his two recent performances I can see why he hasn't.

Reach has had his moments here particularly that spell during the 2017/18 season where everything he hit just seem to fly in the top corner.

But one thing that has held him back is his versatility and because of this he’s never been able to hold down a particular place in the side because no manager he’s worked with here has known his best position?

This season has been a season too far here for him. I don’t think Monk particularly rates him as if he did, he’d be trying to find a place in the side for him? I would be very surprised if he is still a Wednesday player next season and desperately needs a move to get his career back on track?

21 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Reach has probably been my favourite player for the last few years. I am just not sure the way Monk wants to play really suits him. And his confidence seems gone. Still wouldnt want him to go though, but if he is just going to sit on the bench every week then it maybe best to get what we can for him.

Completely agree that Monk doesn't seem to rate him at all, which is fair enough.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what happened to him, used to be his touch was dodgy sometimes, recently almost every touch from his has been too heavy, he's not getting chance to show if he can still, dribble, pass, or shoot, he's mostly just giving it away all the time it seems.

On 15/07/2020 at 12:40, frastheowl said:

I'm going to play devils advocate here and say he's not as mentally weak as people think!  Let me give my two penneth...

In my humble opinion, centre mid/attacking mid is the toughest place to play.  You've got options both sides, you can pass any direction, you have to be uber aware of your surroundings...you go forwards, backwards...etc.

You play on the wing?  You've arguably got 3 options:  Try and beat your man to cross, cut inside and shoot, or lay it off.  Reach is good at this.  He can do this.  Probably because he's played there a lot, he's used to and comfortable in this position.  Stick him in attacking mid?  Brain fart central.  Too many options.  I have no idea why we've seen recent managers play him in this position, it's like he's the best options that can fill a gap?  FFS, play him in his preferred position!

if he's played in his preferred position (if we play with 2 meaty forwards, on the left so he can get quality balls in) he'll do well for us.  If we play with two slight, quick forwards (like recently) I think he'd do well on the right, where he can chip in with shots.  

On 15/07/2020 at 12:40, frastheowl said:

...if he's here cum the start...

Please don't type it like that...