Baffling

10 hours ago, cookeh said:

13 shots to their 12. How dominant of us.
16% difference in possession, them having 58 to our 42.
Our pass success rate was 66%  66 ffs!
Wildsmith's pass complete was 21%! Lossl's was 55.
Their lowest outfield player was Chalobah at 67. Iorfa, Reach and Adthe were all below that with special mention for Moses, who managed just 52%
We won less just 37% of aerial balls.

Our tackles attempted was 35 to their 26, while their interceptions was almost double ours at 14.

Do you seriously pay attention to all that stuff as some kind of indicator of how a game has been? It's for obsessives and dilettantes who don't know any better. 

Just one example - a couple of years ago Manchester City went to Wigan in the FA Cup. They enjoyed 83% of the ball, making 845 passes to just 186, their accuracy was way better (90% against 61%), had 29 shots to 4, had a 15-0 edge in corners and even conceded half as many fouls.

They lost 1-0.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Tonight we had more shots at goal and more shots on target, forcing there G/K to get the MoM for me, where he had to make more saves than Wildsmith.

Yes they had a touch more possession than us, but possession alone does not win games.

Neither do shots on goal when the goalkeeper saves them

3 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I think Chansiri may be waiting for the first somebody else to become available. I think the big give-away is the lack of his own back room team.

You don't think it might have been just as indicative of a funding issue given how close we may be to the EFL's spending restrictions?

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You don't think it might have been just as indicative of a funding issue given how close we may be to the EFL's spending restrictions?

4 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Not really. Beattie was a target but unavailable. I expect him to rejoin Monk here at some stage. Compo cost is another issue. I doubt that DC is looking to replace Monk. 

Only time will tell. Sure we will find out as soon as the season ends.

I really worry for the future if DC decides that his best course of action is to back a manager thats such a serial failure.

I really hope that I'm proved wrong and that Monk leads us to glorious promotion next year with a record points total, conquering the Prem in 21-22 and then onto European glory the following season.

18 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Brum fans rated Monk and in general were sorry to see him leave...... and that club was another basket case like us. Many Leeds fans rated him. It's not as if their late season blow up was unique to Monk. 

I'd rein in your hopes a bit too.

Wonder how many Leeds fans would swap Monk for Bielsa?

Of course I was being daft with my hopes for what Monk can do with us. However you only have to look across the city to see what can be achieved when you have the right manager in charge. Third tier to potential European football in 4 seasons? Yoonited havnt chucked money around. They just have bloke who knows what he is doing

We are going nowhere under Monk.

Edited by hasthagotanycheese
correction

Guest Grandad
51 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Do you seriously pay attention to all that stuff as some kind of indicator of how a game has been? It's for obsessives and dilettantes who don't know any better. 

Just as an aside - and something Ive wanted to ask for ages.

Do you use words like 'dilettante' on Owlstalk as a kind of warning to people not to debate with you. The inference being that as you're clearly verbose and of sufficient intellect to drop words like that into your posts - that 99% of Owlstalkers would have to google to understand the context - that you're not to be messed with? lol 

4 hours ago, billyblack said:

So it actually sounds like huddersfield were organised and played quite well. Rather than us just being totally useless and it all being Monks fault. Nice to hear.

Huddersfield did play well, and certainly looked hungry for it. The problem for them is that like us, they can't move the ball past the defensive line very well, and they struggled to create any real goal threat. Apart from that they closed down very quickly and never let us have any time on the ball, which exposes our lack of urgency and causes us to panic—leading to some terrible passes being played.

I've noticed this a few times this season—if a team harries us we can't deal with it. We looked better once we started playing longer passes into space and bypassing the closing down a bit, but I don't know whether that was Monk's doing or the players. Ultimately it feels like we suffer from not being quick enough, but also not being accurate enough or with enough ball control skills to up the pace.

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Do you use words like 'dilettante' on Owlstalk as a kind of warning to people not to debate with you. The inference being that as you're clearly verbose and of sufficient intellect to drop words like that into your posts - that 99% of Owlstalkers would have to google to understand the context - that you're not to be messed with? lol 

Like using 'verbose' you mean? :bullen:

Language is powerful and illuminating. I find it frustrating that people rely so heavily on accepted wisdoms, cliches and stereotypes without thinking more deeply about how to express themselves. If I'm speaking or writing I like to avoid these and repetition as much as is practical. Long or unusual words are no guarantee of a quality or depth of argument in themselves. Anyone choosing to be intimidated by them may have their own reasons for being so. However, I still appreciate a short incisive point that gets right to the heart of the matter if that's appropriate.

Lord Snooty, for example, is someone who seems to consider a lot of his posts as some kind of art form. I usually find them amusing, perceptive and interesting. At no point have I considered him pretentious or attempting to position himself on the site in some way and it makes a pleasant change from "the manager is tactically naive, gerrim aht". Do you view him with similar suspicion?

Interestingly, many times I've been accused of being too flippant and only using images in my replies as well.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, cookeh said:

13 shots to their 12. How dominant of us.
16% difference in possession, them having 58 to our 42.
Our pass success rate was 66%  66 ffs!
Wildsmith's pass complete was 21%! Lossl's was 55.
Their lowest outfield player was Chalobah at 67. Iorfa, Reach and Adthe were all below that with special mention for Moses, who managed just 52%
We won less just 37% of aerial balls.

Our tackles attempted was 35 to their 26, while their interceptions was almost double ours at 14.

So yes, their keeper had slightly more to do.. yay.

But we were garbage in pretty much every stat going.

Did you actually watch the game, or just studied the stats?

5 hours ago, Grandad said:

That's why I never use dialectic discussion when enquiring into the metaphysical contradictions of Wednesday's performance under Monk

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

Which wing back/midfielder  would you have sacrificed to facilitate that? doing either would have weakened us defensively.  

Windass over hunt in middle 3.

Nuhiu and murphy up front.

Bannan could have sat more to compensate if needed.

We are not scoring anywhere near enough goals or winning enough at home so that should be the focus, especially when playing weak sides lower in the league imo

Monks not addressed this all season tho so cant see it changing.

4 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

We are not scoring anywhere near enough goals or winning enough at home so that should be the focus, especially when playing weak sides lower in the league imo

Oh well when you put it like that it’s simple, I’m surprised we don’t get you in as manager and win every game 5-0. 

Being serious though, yes we need to score more goals but I’m sure it’s not as simple as we as fans sometimes think it is. 

1 hour ago, Ash77 said:

Nuhui been here far too long,

Alot of new faces needed,

We need a shrewd manager,

We ain't got one

Much of the same next season,

Same players,manager,

Same outcome...

51 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Oh well when you put it like that it’s simple, I’m surprised we don’t get you in as manager and win every game 5-0. 

Being serious though, yes we need to score more goals but I’m sure it’s not as simple as we as fans sometimes think it is. 

You asked and as a courtesy i gave my opinion, dont bother asking again,  sorted!