Games you wish you could remember better

There's a plethora of reasons you might not remember a game too well but what games have you been to that you wish you had better memories of?

For me, it's the 1993 cup final (first game).  It was my first ever Wednesday game, I was 7 years old.  I remember getting to Wembley about 12 and my uncle (who got me in to Wednesday) found us a pub and took us in.  I kept asking about every 5 minutes if we could go in yet.  I remember talking to a kid about my age who was an Arsenal fan.  I also remember my dad kept saying to my uncle that we should get going or we'd miss the kick off but my uncle always wanted another pint.  My next and only real other memory of the day is getting in the ground and finding our seats (we'd got tickets from Chris Kamara at Leeds and didn't know which end we'd be in) right above the tunnel.  I remember the massive flag going over us and being under it for what seemed like forever but after that, it's a blank.  I didn't realise until quite recently that the game had gone to extra time!  I just have no memory of the football or anything that happened the rest of that day.

image.png.7dc990dd40f44cd695be288b5e14726a.png

Just not bothered...

32 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

There's a plethora of reasons you might not remember a game too well but what games have you been to that you wish you had better memories of?

For me, it's the 1993 cup final (first game).  It was my first ever Wednesday game, I was 7 years old.  I remember getting to Wembley about 12 and my uncle (who got me in to Wednesday) found us a pub and took us in.  I kept asking about every 5 minutes if we could go in yet.  I remember talking to a kid about my age who was an Arsenal fan.  I also remember my dad kept saying to my uncle that we should get going or we'd miss the kick off but my uncle always wanted another pint.  My next and only real other memory of the day is getting in the ground and finding our seats (we'd got tickets from Chris Kamara at Leeds and didn't know which end we'd be in) right above the tunnel.  I remember the massive flag going over us and being under it for what seemed like forever but after that, it's a blank.  I didn't realise until quite recently that the game had gone to extra time!  I just have no memory of the football or anything that happened the rest of that day.

FA Cup Final was your first ever game!?!?!?! 
I don't remember that game very well either. Off top of my head I don't even remember the Arsenal goal.
All I remember is a bloody great big station blocking the view of the goal Hirst scored in.

Guest Bulgaria
Just now, Steve Down South said:

Other than the semi final, I’ve made a conscious attempt to forget all about Wembley ‘93.  What made matters worse was that I lived round the corner from Andy Linighan at the time.

Hope you put doggy doo through his letter box.

29 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't remember that game very well either. Off top of my head I don't even remember the Arsenal goal.
All I remember is a bloody great big station blocking the view of the goal Hirst scored in.

First Wednesday game.  My parents weren't really in to football so I had free choice as a kid which my uncle made sure went to Wednesday.  He gave me all his stuff from the '91 cup final (ticket, programme, flag) and bought me a kit around the same time but until '93 I'd never got to a game (I don't think my parents trusted him to take me on his own).  My first ever football game was a dreadful 0-0 between Forest and Leeds at the City ground.  My junior football club got some free tickets (christ knows why when we were in Wakefield).

But come '93 my uncle was struggling to get tickets for some reason and my mum's boss knew Chris Kamara.  For whatever reason my mum asked for 3 tickets rather than just 1 and he sorted it.  We had no idea which end we'd be in until we arrived.  My uncle, my dad and me drove down to Stanmore and parked up and got the tube to Wembley.

My dad wouldn't let me listen to the second half of the replay either in the week (my uncle went) and made me go to bed.  I remember listening at the top of the stairs as they scored and I went to bed in tears.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

Guest Grandad

Hartlepool at Cardiff

The whole day is a blur

All I remember is Talbot rounding the keeper and scoring the goal that relieved all the tension, and just sitting down and crying my eyes out. 

I knew there and then that we'd never darken the 3rd tier again 🙄

47 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

St Pancras??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, One De Bilde said:

Hartlepool for me. I was a leetle bit drunk.

One of the lads sat by us at that game missed 4 of the 6 goals (including our 3rd and 4th) because he kept going to the toilet he was that hammered.  He came back after our 3rd and didn't realise we were winning.  He kept muttering about it going to penalties. lol

Just not bothered...

I wouldn't worry about not remembering the FA cup final first match.  It was about as boring as football can get.

I always think when you go to Wembly it's pretty much all about the occasion, the travelling, the pubs and the larrge of amount of fans in one place.  Then you just have to hope your team turns up and you get a result.