The Jack Charlton kop

Guest Garryswfcowl72

3 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I think the club should name the kop after Big jack his contribution should never be forgotten he basically saved us & put us on the road to recovery if mr chansiri wants to do something to bring the club & fans together this would be a brilliant gesture & a fitting tribute to Jacks legacy at the club 

image.jpg

Nah. I lived through that era. The boy done good but we don't make a fuss about this kind of thing. Have you seen that laughable statue of Billy Bremner outside Elland Road? We don't want to go down that route. Anyway - if you wanted to honour anyone to do with The East Enclosure (as tickets used to call it) then what about that bloke who got crushed to death there in 1934 in the record crowd? Or us poor b*st*rds who stood there in the wind and rain  in crowds of 11,000?

Anyway, he's a Leeds legend. Let them commemorate him. He means more to them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Senior career*

YearsTeamApps(Gls)

1932–1933Carlisle United16(0)

1933–1949Preston North End 297 app (13) goals

Total 313(13)

Almost a one club player..

Lifted the Fa cup too 

Very tin pot ?.....

and represented Great Britain in WW2 ....

Ah, that's very interesting, I had no idea. I look forward to regurgitating that knowledge as my own in a future pub conversation. 

HOWEVER, I maintain that he's still *really* Mr Liverpool FC, despite these solid claims by Preston, and by that example Jack Charlton is *really* Mr Ireland, and his Preston equivalent is Leeds.

We are just a very interesting and appreciative stop on his journey. 

54 minutes ago, cbirks said:

Ah, that's very interesting, I had no idea. I look forward to regurgitating that knowledge as my own in a future pub conversation. 

HOWEVER, I maintain that he's still *really* Mr Liverpool FC, despite these solid claims by Preston, and by that example Jack Charlton is *really* Mr Ireland, and his Preston equivalent is Leeds.

We are just a very interesting and appreciative stop on his journey. 

Do what ever you like with it Birksy.

Glad to be of help in an Educational capacity ...

Thing is with History you can't re -write it be it good or bad...

Jack Charlton was a pivotal and hugely important part of our history (even though that history in modern times is one of somewhat gross under achievement)

Anyway I digress 

I couldn't care less about Leeds Newcastle Middlesbrough or Ireland 

He did more than enough at Sheffield Wednesday Fc to merit a lasting memorial in his name...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

That didn't stop Preston naming a stand after Bill Shankly

I wonder if Bill Shankly after he left Preston ran a pub or a sweet shop the club would have named a stand after him. Does come across they are trying to cash in a bit on his big name from his success at Liverpool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wonder if Bill Shankly after he left Preston ran a pub or a sweet shop the club would have named a stand after him. .

We broke the mould on this Matty lad

We went with the Mark Hooper west Stand 

& The Ronnie Starling South Stand ....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Love Big Jack, but if we are sticking names on stands for League One promotions, then we should also have the Sturrock South and the Jones/Megson Lane end.

No disrespect of what those managers did, but 'Sir' Jack came to this club at it's lowest ebb, he could have had the pick of any 1st division club in the land, but he chose us, even then we  were a basket case, even worse than today.

He then went on, along with Bert Mcgee, to save the club from going bust and maybe going out of the league, and lay the  foundations of the success we had over the following 20 years.

• Like 2

Don't know if Charlton is the right person to name a stand after for us - deffo would like to honor him in another way though, he obviously made a big impression, maybe a smaller part of the ground naming after him, or something more creative. 

Think you are onto something though with the naming of a stand after a legend - coincide that with a climb down on ticket prices and a class kit and it will bring the fans together again. 

8 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Popular and deserving he might be, but to everyone except Wednesdayites he will always be associated with the World Cup and LEEDS. Not for me thanks.

Who cares? He's a legend at this club. It's irrelevant where else he might hold that status. I can't imagine thinking "Oh we can't name that stand because someone from somewhere other than Sheffield or someone who isn't an Wednesday fan might not get it."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Instead of naming a stand after Big Jack, what about next season, having the team play in this iconic, Big Jack era, strip?

image.png.ef2e075545302a85e3f4aec7712a3b15.png

thought you was getting Terry out of retirement lol ,

• Like 1