The Jack Charlton kop

Guest Garryswfcowl72

2 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I think the club should name the kop after Big jack his contribution should never be forgotten he basically saved us & put us on the road to recovery if mr chansiri wants to do something to bring the club & fans together this would be a brilliant gesture & a fitting tribute to Jacks legacy at the club 

image.jpg

Was thinking the same today, think its a great idea

Guest Bulgaria

It's definitely a good question.

I am 50/50 about it.

He was only here 6 years would be my against and like others have said, he is more England and Leeds.

Guest Bulgaria

Who would folks choose if they had to name the kop after someone associated with SWFC?

Sterland

Wilkinson

Charlton

Are the ones that spring to mind for me.

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

Who would folks choose if they had to name the kop after someone associated with SWFC?

Sterland

Wilkinson

Charlton

Are the ones that spring to mind for me.

Howard Wilkinson for me.

He's been player, manager and chairman, and he stepped in to hold the fort during some of our darkest days.

I always think with things like this it would be nice to commemorate people while they're still around to see it.

• Like 7

6 years in charge, a great figure at the club. But surely there are some rose-tinted glasses being put on here? There have been players and coaches with far longer associations with the club. I mean, if it's just in terms of service, Pressman was the longest serving player in the modern era and you probably wouldn't want the Kevin Pressman Kop would you?

Although, thinking about it more, think of the quality and number of pies that would be available... 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

It's definitely a good question.

I am 50/50 about it.

He was only here 6 years would be my against and like others have said, he is more England and Leeds.

Me too. When I read the OP I thought what a good idea, then as you read some of the constructive comments you do wonder if it would be the right thing to do given his association elsewhere. Best to think about it later when things have "calmed down" and see what your thoughts are then when it's a considered view, opposed to an emotional one. 

24 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

If we were going to name a stand after anyone, it should be Eric Taylor.

He gave his life to Wednesday and achieved so much.

Jack contributed certainly, but only for 6 years.

There’s a good shout for Eric Taylor as well. We have 4 sides to the ground so there’s room for both. I’d like to see a bit more respect for the club’s roots and history.  The kop will always be Jack’s for me. Never forget the snowballs at the FA Cup tie v Arsenal. Big Jack came out and took a few himself, laughed about it and the game restarted. He knew who we were and restored a pride in the club.  BDM goes without saying but I think we would have carried the man back from Blackburn on our shoulders.  Good OP. Too many good memories to even start. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Minton said:

6 years in charge, a great figure at the club. But surely there are some rose-tinted glasses being put on here? There have been players and coaches with far longer associations with the club. I mean, if it's just in terms of service, Pressman was the longest serving player in the modern era and you probably wouldn't want the Kevin Pressman Kop would you?

Although, thinking about it more, think of the quality and number of pies that would be available... 

Don't think you quite get what Jack did for the club

Literally took it by the scruff of the neck and dragged it screaming out of the mire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Charlton came in when we were rapidly going down hill, to the fourth division, he halted the slide and then started the climb, including Boxing Day and then Blackburn away, two unforgettable matches

he then got us within a whisker of the first division and then realised it was time to go, he went with everyone's thanks and then Wilko came in and finished the job, but without Charlton there would have been no Wilkinson 

Without him we could have ruined the one thing that Utd have done that we haven't, play in the 4th Division

Edited by the third man
  • Like 5

Legend, yes.

Worthy of permanent remembrance, absolutely.

But, there are others even more worthy of a stand being named after them.

I think Tommy Crawshaw's contribution to Wednesday is criminally under appreciated by most Wednesdayites - I'd guess 90% won't have ever heard of him.

Eric Taylor and Howard Wilkinson too - the latter was a fan, player, manager and chairman - incredible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Don't think you quite get what Jack did for the club

Literally took it by the scruff of the neck and dragged it screaming out of the mire.

Which is massively commendable. I just think that someone who had far bigger impacts and legacies at other clubs and national teams should be remember in other ways, particularly as there are, in my opinion, better candidates, I mean, surely someone like Fantham or Andrew Wilson (who despite retiring in 1920 is still our all-time appearance *and* goalscorer holder)

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Which is massively commendable. I just think that someone who had far bigger impacts and legacies at other clubs and national teams should be remember in other ways, particularly as there are, in my opinion, better candidates, I mean, surely someone like Fantham or Andrew Wilson (who despite retiring in 1920 is still our all-time appearance *and* goalscorer holder)

Good shout.

Statue?

Edited by Roscoe P. Coltrane

Guest Bulgaria
2 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Good shout.

Statue?

Give over.

Half on here would be tearing it down in 10 years because Jack said summat daft eons ago.