Thoughts on young Alex Hunt

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

It did against a poor qpr side. Usually we’re gonna need a strong DM player in there which we don’t have 

yeah, I'd agree that three won't cut against the stronger sides, but we are where we are. Major rebuilding job to do but Hunt will improve and can be part of that.

I suspect we’ll be able to judge some of our younger players a little bit better next season, when they get regular first team appearances alongside hungry young players released by Premiership clubs, and physical, athletic, sorts brought in from lower leagues, to establish a new squad keen to work hard for the club and do well.

Looking forward to having a squad of players who are up for it. Bring it on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Hope we don’t just let him fizzle out like we have other young lads.

He’s 20 years old and he’s good enough to play first team football.

Get him a League 1 loan where he will play 40 plus games next season and come back a 21 year old with a lot more experience. Just leaving him sat around here as a squad player won’t improve him. There is talent there, let’s get him playing games. 

That's the ideal scenario. Issue is finding a taker. Covid may help with clubs lower down looking more to loans then transfers. 

Hunt, Shaw, Brennan, Hughes, Radnor all need some miles in there legs. Hunt and Shaw the 2 most likely to get in at league 2 or 1 level? 

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Looks a positive player. That said Liam Shaw looks the more ready if the two.

Based on what? The fact he looks older?

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I suspect we’ll be able to judge some of our younger players a little bit better next season, when they get regular first team appearances alongside hungry young players released by Premiership clubs, and physical, athletic, sorts brought in from lower leagues, to establish a new squad keen to work hard for the club and do well.

2061874912_WishUponAStar.jpg.30496132e3f4d2352ed4f8dcc8766775.jpg

4 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Agreed. He's got a lot to learn, but he's starting from a strong position.

It's the same for all the youngsters coming through into the first team. They are probably 2 or 3 years away from being the finished article. Some progress, some lose their way. Hunt needs to bulk up before he willl be capable of getting in the rough and tumble end of some Championship games.

All I can say is ,so far so good, keep up the good work. Potentially a very good player, needs to keep his head straight , keep working and get more game time.

No need to rush him, give him a bit more time before the end of the season and go from there.

Good luck to the lad.

im prepared to give him time and certainly wouldnt be hounding him if we were having crowds in . i think he looks a bit lost to be honest , far too lightweight and he lost ball in midfield was the time bannan nearly got a bad injury recovering the situation ,he also needs to have more confidence to look for a forward pass rather than go sideways or backwards , i think he would have benefited from a loan 1st.

10 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

He had a pass completion rate of 84.2% yesterday, the highest of any Wednesday player.

yes but thats because he took no risks and passed backwards and sideways , a killer forward pass is harder and might lose you some % off the pass rate but thats what win games . he needs a good few games to get used to it then lets judge him .

21 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

yes but thats because he took no risks and passed backwards and sideways , a killer forward pass is harder and might lose you some % off the pass rate but thats what win games . he needs a good few games to get used to it then lets judge him .

Just described every bodies hero Jose semedo there , yet pelupessy is hammered for doing exactly the same 

Edited by james o connor

Guest Grez Bez
2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

I don't know if you've ever played but a CM will switch the play. That's not a bad thing.

I don’t think we are going to be blessed with a large squad next season so why not have him in the first team squad picture? If he’s good enough then he will step up to the mark. Just like all youngsters at any club they will make mistakes, it’s just down to us as fans not to hound them if and when they do.

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

16 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

I don't know if you've ever played but a CM will switch the play. That's not a bad thing.

Passing stats can be misleading in certain situations. If you’re a screening CM that just picks the ball up from the back four and keeps things simple in order to keep things ticking over then your passing stats will generally be higher than if you play in the opposition half and are trying to break the opposition down with key passes. 

You sometimes have to look at the bigger picture. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, handworth52 said:

In fairness my post was in response to somebody saying of Pelupessey had given the ball away as many times as Hunt did, fans would have been slaying him.

I was just pointing out that he didn’t give the ball away that much.

Looked promising, hope to see him feature in the last 3 games, may have a better feel then for his potential - still very early days.  Re stats, not sure how much this really tells us (as others have said).  I’m sure the commentators yesterday said QPR had made over 500 completed passes yesterday compared to a figure below 200 for us.  Only problem for them was it was a typical performance from a Warburton team, pass, pass, pass but go nowhere.