Thoughts on young Alex Hunt

22 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I make absolutely no judgement. There are just too many examples in recent history of overhyping young players on a few decent performances only to see them drift into obscurity. I'll just sit back and wish the lad well. Hopefully we've uncovered a gem. only time will decide that.

I agree not to get over the top but every time I’ve seen him I’m impressed.

he plays with composure - looks after the ball.

due to the daft abolition of the reserve game needs to get used to playing against men but will do.

30 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if joey had given the ball away as often he'd be slaughtered but for a young lad on debut he did ok . 

A young kid making his way in the game being compared to one who has played numerous games at both club level in two countries as well as being a previous youth international for Holland and who imho is still a poor footballer. so yes, the lad did ok. 

• Like 1

I thought he did well overall. Got caught in possession once or twice, but that will happen until he get used to the pace of first team football. Liked how he largely looked for a forward pass. He played a few nice balls and intercepted a few passes too. Quite a lot to like really.

Guest Ronson

He's doing OK at Bannans side but he's still a young lad and he'd be lost without his mentor. He does need to stop looking for Bannan all the time when he's in possession and play the best ball at the time, but without a doubt he's a good prospect.

Very frustrating as this should have been the perfect time to play hunt no questions asked, the added pressure and circus is not helping. 

I've no issue with him playing on Tuesday if we play a back 3 but in a 2 he's going to miss out. 

I get vibes from Monk that he's only playing him because he has to due to Lee missing out.

But for me he seems a good player and a great prospect, seems to make the correct decisions which is critical, also tenacious. 

The odds are against him in a league like this unless he fits in with the team's make up from the off. 

Edited by Owls2k

He looks to have real potential to me; I can’t see him playing in anything other than a midfield three while Bannan is fit at the moment though. He’s been compared to Kieran Lee by some on here and Bannan by others but, for me, he’s very much a ball player like Bannan and I can’t that’s why I can’t see Hunt and Bannan in a midfield two. 

Ideal game for him to get a start in,QPR played in flip flops and played without any real hunger or purpose.

The kids a long way off being a regular,but its been valuable experience for the lad,and hes done ok,its a totally different game to the one hes used to,takes time & games to make that step up.

He looks like he has a lot of talent and technical ability, and when given time and space he has a real quality swagger about his play. However, if not given that space, he seems unable to manufacture it for himself, and he looks out of his depth. 

I don't see anything wrong with that at this stage, it's to be expected considering his age and the number of first-team games he's played. The difference between him being a League Two player and a Championship player will be how well he adapts to having to retain possession and be effective even when not given much time. That can only come from hard work and good coaching... let's give him some patience and the time to develop all that and let's see what happens.

Premature adulation or dismissal only makes you look foolish in the long-run.