Glenn Roeder & Adam Pearson

12 hours ago, fatzooma said:

What I do find strange is no one seems to have broke silence and spoke out about what’s actually gone on behind the scenes.

Ex players, KM, Roeder etc etc.

All that happens when a player leaves is a big thankyou to Mr Chansiri and family.

All very odd

Didn’t we bring in Lewis McGugan who we didn’t play? That was the first odd move for me.

The only thing that talks is money.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kristmace said:

That summer was the best transfer window I think we've ever had. Compare that to the absolute colossal waste of money the following season:

Adam Reach

Almen Abdi

Morgan Fox

Sam Winnall

Jordan Thorniley

Steven Fletcher

David Jones

Will Buckley

Callum McManaman

Jordan Rhodes

Jake Kean

Urby Emanuelson

With the benefit of hindsight a colossal waste.. but most of those were good looking signings at the time.

At the time we bought them:
Reach looked good, was a good age and we needed wide men.
Abdi was an absolute coup. Is injury record was good and he was a proper baller.
Fox was a steady backup left back with 2 years of championship experience.
Winnall was an absolute steal and had scored a goal every other game the season we bought him.
Thorniley was a promising young player from a premier league team.
Fletch regularly got double figures in the premier league for a crap team and was another coup.
David Jones. Aging, but a premier league regular who has just helped Burnley top the Championship. Another coup.
Will Buckley, experienced at Championship level ith Brighton, but also had a season playing in the Prem.
McMananman, another guy with a season in the prem and had looked a talent.
Rhodes, one of only 4 guys with over 100 championship goals and the best goals per minute of any of them.
Kean, back up back up keeper. You've got to have one.
Emanuelson, 100 games in Serie A and over 30 champions league appearances. Must have had ability.

So all of them were, on paper, good signings at the time we made them.

You can argue whether we needed Winnall and Rhodes, but there was absolutely no reason to think that aside from Fletch and Fox we would get so little return on investment on these guys.

12 hours ago, fatzooma said:

Didn’t we bring in Lewis McGugan who we didn’t play? That was the first odd move for me.

Chansiri signed McGugan because the fans were clamouring for it after he'd been here on loan. It was a goodwill gesture on his part. Unfortunately for McGugan, Carlos didn't really fancy him.

• Like 1

adam pearson bought hull city (with the help of his mate wilkinson the guy behind pound shop? and 19 years of garbage was ended with back to back promotions and he then sold the club as he said he didnt have the millions to push on to the prem but stayed on for a while to steady the ship and soon after we yoyo'd the premier league a bit.

he knows his stuff but bought the local rugby league team hull fc and his hands are tied atm.

when you speak to the guy you get no bullshit or waffle. hes down to earth and its a shame he hasnt had another go at a football club (ours)

13 hours ago, toppOwl said:

According to DC and whether you believe what he says or not, Roeder wasn't responsible for a single player coming in.

I know for a fact that Roeder was behind the Bannan signing. 

A work contacts Brother in Law (ex West Ham player) was Scouting him for Roeder. 

13 hours ago, kristmace said:

That summer was the best transfer window I think we've ever had. Compare that to the absolute colossal waste of money the following season:

Adam Reach

Almen Abdi

Morgan Fox

Sam Winnall

Jordan Thorniley

Steven Fletcher

David Jones

Will Buckley

Callum McManaman

Jordan Rhodes

Jake Kean

Urby Emanuelson

There are some good players in there but we didn’t need them..others CC just didn’t have a clue how to use  - Buckley a classic example..totally wasted here.

There was absolutely no strategy or plan after the P/off final loss  - Identifying weak positions and players to fill them - it was just throw money and see what happens. 

It was downhill as soon as Semedo was kept on - I knew at that point we had no plan in place ..the signing of Rhodes down the line the apex. 

A golden opportunity to build on 2016 criminally wasted - such a pity but as Greenwood once said, disappointment is part of football.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, deaks1984 said:

18 months ago Adam Reach was a world beater, some on here thought we could get £10M for him.

I'm not having that, He scored 4/5 outrageous goals and sky sports commentators spaffed alover it. I don't think he's repaid the £5m and wages by a long way yet and looks an average champ player for 90% of the time I've watched him.

Some on here think we could still get money for players in our current squad so yeah I'm sure people on here said we could get £10m.....I think they were wrong

15 hours ago, fatzooma said:

What I do find strange is no one seems to have broke silence and spoke out about what’s actually gone on behind the scenes.

Ex players, KM, Roeder etc etc.

All that happens when a player leaves is a big thankyou to Mr Chansiri and family.

All very odd

Re lewis McGugan... Stuart Grey didn't want him! He was trouble when he was on loan! 

It was another purchase for the fans abit like Rhodes! 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist

Apparently roeders only signing was Lachman..after he had secured a 4 day jaunt to Holland to watch him..all expenses paid obviously..Martin Samuel did a piece on him sayin he wer only at Wednesday for a ‘drink’

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Re lewis McGugan... Stuart Grey didn't want him! He was trouble when he was on loan! 

It was another purchase for the fans abit like Rhodes! 

Another millionaire made by Wednesday..

1 hour ago, briggowl said:

I'm not having that, He scored 4/5 outrageous goals and sky sports commentators spaffed alover it. I don't think he's repaid the £5m and wages by a long way yet and looks an average champ player for 90% of the time I've watched him.

Some on here think we could still get money for players in our current squad so yeah I'm sure people on here said we could get £10m.....I think they were wrong

Yeah completely agree. Like I said some on here thought we could get £10M. Never said I did. Cheers pal.

P.s. think you've taken this out of context. I never meant I thought he was a world beater I was saying generally that is how he was spoken about by some people on here.

Edited by deaks1984
Added p.s.

Not sure how much Pearson and Roedar contributed in reality but I could see reason behind that kind of set up. Confident were scanning our net wide and doing research on the players before we signed them.

Since the play off final only strategy has been throw money at it until rules put brakes on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cookeh said:

With the benefit of hindsight a colossal waste.. but most of those were good looking signings at the time.

At the time we bought them:
Reach looked good, was a good age and we needed wide men.
Abdi was an absolute coup. Is injury record was good and he was a proper baller.
Fox was a steady backup left back with 2 years of championship experience.
Winnall was an absolute steal and had scored a goal every other game the season we bought him.
Thorniley was a promising young player from a premier league team.
Fletch regularly got double figures in the premier league for a crap team and was another coup.
David Jones. Aging, but a premier league regular who has just helped Burnley top the Championship. Another coup.
Will Buckley, experienced at Championship level ith Brighton, but also had a season playing in the Prem.
McMananman, another guy with a season in the prem and had looked a talent.
Rhodes, one of only 4 guys with over 100 championship goals and the best goals per minute of any of them.
Kean, back up back up keeper. You've got to have one.
Emanuelson, 100 games in Serie A and over 30 champions league appearances. Must have had ability.

So all of them were, on paper, good signings at the time we made them.

You can argue whether we needed Winnall and Rhodes, but there was absolutely no reason to think that aside from Fletch and Fox we would get so little return on investment on these guys.

Big question marks against all of them, even back then. Certainly I wasn’t keen on signing any of them at the time, and those January deals were sheer folly. In the end, we did get some value out of Fletcher, and possibly Fox and Reach. 

9 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Apparently roeders only signing was Lachman..after he had secured a 4 day jaunt to Holland to watch him..all expenses paid obviously..Martin Samuel did a piece on him sayin he wer only at Wednesday for a ‘drink’

Heard a few stories in recent years from players that have played for him basically saying he’s absolutely useless. 

He’s barely worked in football since getting the sack from Norwich in 2009. A few months as an advisor here, and an unsuccessful spell as an advisor at Stevenage where he ultimately got the sack again.

It’s hardly like we turned our back on the type of revolutionaries that transformed the fortunes of clubs like Norwich, Southampton & Huddersfield in the past. 

Also, considering how DC spoke about Roeder, it’s very likely he was pushed and didn’t leave of his own accord. As above, there was a definite feeling from DC that Roeder was just in it for himself and not to benefit the club. 

Edited by NeonLeon