Glenn Roeder & Adam Pearson

1 hour ago, deaks1984 said:

Jordan Rhodes - The saviour, the missing piece, the one person we should break the bank for. Well we did. And my word has it backfired. Still I didn't hear any complaints when he signed.

A good post overall, but this bit is not true. Recently I had a look back through a huge thread when we were rumoured to be trying to sign him and there were plenty expressing reservations for numerous different reasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

To be an exec at Leeds, who guessing from his previous dealings he’s either a fan of, or holds them in high regard. He’s still there now.

I don’t think it was straight away, I know he eventually ended up at Leeds and didn’t last there long. I could be wrong 

just checked, you’re correct

Edited by WadsleyOwl
For being incorrect

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

A good post overall, but this bit is not true. Recently I had a look back through a huge thread when we were rumoured to be trying to sign him and there were plenty expressing reservations for numerous different reasons.

Cheers. I didn't say there weren't any, I just said I didn't hear them, but true there are probably always reservations when signing players, especially when price tags are high.

2 hours ago, fatzooma said:

What I do find strange is no one seems to have broke silence and spoke out about what’s actually gone on behind the scenes.

Ex players, KM, Roeder etc etc.

All that happens when a player leaves is a big thankyou to Mr Chansiri and family.

All very odd

Didn’t we bring in Lewis McGugan who we didn’t play? That was the first odd move for me.

I think this could have something to do with what has come out this season.

Players are paid a bonus for completing their contracts. What to say there is not a 'None disclosure agreement' in there, as I am very surprised with the lack of brain cells that most footballers have, not a single one of the has come out about anything since leaving.

But if you can find a chairman to pay to £20,000 to sit in the stands watching a football match never having to play then I think I would love him too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

I don’t think it was straight away, I know he eventually ended up at Leeds and didn’t last there long. I could be wrong 

Ahh apologies he left Leeds after 4 months. Wiki says he’s still there on his page.

He did leave us directly for them though there was a statement on the OS where he said..

"I was part of the committee advising the chairman, but once the owner at Leeds got in touch, this is where my heart lies.

"I know the city very well and I know the club, it's my hometown city."

7 minutes ago, deaks1984 said:

Cheers. I didn't say there weren't any, I just said I didn't hear them, but true there are probably always reservations when signing players, especially when price tags are high.

The biggest reservation was he was over priced and not performing.

At Blackburn he was still get near to 20 goals a season, at Boro he had played less than a dozen games in 6 months yet they felt his price had increased from the £8m they paid Blackburn for him. But DC was just useless at negotiating, he paid £5m for Reach when anything over £2.5m was too much. I think he also paid something like £3m for Hooper when he had 6 months left of his contract - I think when Norwich came in for Rhodes this was part of the reason he tried to hike the price the only difference their was instead of say no thanks I will go elsewhere DC paid the silly fees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kristmace said:

That summer was the best transfer window I think we've ever had. Compare that to the absolute colossal waste of money the following season:

Adam Reach

Almen Abdi

Morgan Fox

Sam Winnall

Jordan Thorniley

Steven Fletcher

David Jones

Will Buckley

Callum McManaman

Jordan Rhodes

Jake Kean

Urby Emanuelson

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

• Love 1

Guest mrbluesky
2 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

So can having a good recruitment infrastructure, not just a scatter gun approach, no guarantees I know, but if they had listened to advice on just 1 player, they would have saved millions  

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

At Blackburn he was still get near to 20 goals a season, at Boro he had played less than a dozen games in 6 months yet they felt his price had increased from the £8m they paid Blackburn for him. But DC was just useless at negotiating, he paid £5m for Reach when anything over £2.5m was too much. I think he also paid something like £3m for Hooper when he had 6 months left of his contract - I think when Norwich came in for Rhodes this was part of the reason he tried to hike the price the only difference their was instead of say no thanks I will go elsewhere DC paid the silly fees.

I remember when Rhodes went to Blackburn, I said he was overpriced and that it would set off a domino effect in his career where his clubs would constantly chase their losses on him by asking over the odds. It was an inevitability that his price would top out and the club paying that price would swallow the losses of his previous moves on behalf of his previous clubs. At the time I never thought in a million years we’d be that club..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

These two came to the club in April 2015 to form part of a sporting committee to work alongside first Stuart Gray and then Carlos.

That summer we brought in the following players;

Hunt

Pudil

Sasso

Lopez

Bannan

Wallace

Foriesteri

Joao

Matias

Hooper

Turner

Sougou

Lachmann

Ok a couple of duds in there, bot mostly very good signings to add to what we already had.

Roeder and Pearson knew the English game and got the recruitment right that summer and it's no coincidence that we played some great football and had the best season in 20 years. 

Roeder and Carlos would have identified the players and Pearson would have negotiated the deals and at this point they weren't on massive money compared to what they got later.

For me Roeder and Pearson should have been kept around a lot longer, rather than getting involved with Doyen and Piaxo. Recruitment would have been better and Pearson would have been more mindful of the finances.

This is what we need know, two or three people that know the English game and can get the recruitment right.

Then a knew coaching team!

I totally agree with you mate. No question.

At the time though, after a few months had elapsed. The 'committee' became the default joke & butt of anything that didn't quite pan out. (A couple of bad results, a couple of decisions that didn't suit) etc etc.

As always, the hindsight view is always infinitely better or infinitely worse, depending on how it had panned out.

What we now see as an absolute positive, was at that point, derided, including Glenn Roeder. 

That is why I am always fairly cautious and very conscious of the "Be careful what you wish for" scenario.

We could be sat here in 3 years time back in the Prem, working under a new Chairman who is the saintly incarnation of all football club owners. Honest, benevolent, knowledgeable & a lifelong Wednesdayite to boot. 

Or we could be in dire trouble, having just been asset stripped, ripped bare by some unscrupulous Azerbaijan / Chinese / Russian chancer, placed in administration thinking maybe things weren't quite as bad as touted at the time. Just as we now see the committee as a shining light of competence, when, like I said, they were ridiculed at the time.

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

These two came to the club in April 2015 to form part of a sporting committee to work alongside first Stuart Gray and then Carlos.

Hunt

Pudil

Sasso

Lopez

Bannan

Wallace

Foriesteri

Joao

Matias

Hooper

Turner

Sougou

Lachmann

Ok a couple of duds in there, bot mostly very good signings to add to what we already had.

Roeder and Pearson knew the English game and got the recruitment right that summer and it's no coincidence that we played some great football and had the best season in 20 years. 

Roeder and Carlos would have identified the players and Pearson would have negotiated the deals and at this point they weren't on massive money compared to what they got later.

For me Roeder and Pearson should have been kept around a lot longer, rather than getting involved with Doyen and Piaxo. Recruitment would have been better and Pearson would have been more mindful of the finances.

This is what we need know, two or three people that know the English game and can get the recruitment right.

Only one problem with that investment in the future of the club, only Bannan remains 5 years later.

Thats a strike rate similar to most of the Paxman strikers we bought.

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Carlos stated that the fee for Reach was less than £4m.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, deaks1984 said:

I know what you are saying but at the same time....

18 months ago Adam Reach was a world beater, some on here thought we could get £10M for him.

When Almen Abdi signed most people on here couldn't believe our luck, I even recall a Watford fan coming on and saying if we thought Forestieri was good just wait for Abdi.

Morgan Fox got slated when he arrived and took dogs abuse, there's little wonder he wasn't performing at his best. Then he proved everyone who doubted him wrong and turned in some decent performances this season. Then left a lot of fans upset when he left for nothing. Can hardly blame the lad if he's felt unwelcome for so long.

Sam Winnall bargain of the century, I recall one fan saying to me. I think a lot of people thought it had the potential to be as well. Top scorer in Championship for £500k from a local rival. Seemed like really good business at the time. Obviously things didn't pan out, a fall out with a fans favourite, a loan to Derby and a bad injury. Feel for him to be honest, career ruined.

Jordan Thorniley - from memory picked up on a free from Everton. Was on the bench as back up on a number of occasions and made a few starts, did ok, was moved on for a fee. So we got a fee from a freebie.

Steven Fletcher - "He should easy bag 20 a season in this league" one of my pals said to me. I actually thought he would too. I don't think any Owl was disappointed when he signed. No one expected him to be injured as much as he was. Everyone expected more goals from him. This season he seemed to get on track and make regular appearances, scoring at the expected rate. Before the Christmas break it looked like we could be on for a good season with Fletcher the spearhead. Unfortunately he decided he didn't want to continue with us after what some people believe was a derisory contract offer. Many fans were sad and disappointed to see him leave.

David Jones - Had the CV and experience that was supposed to help us push to the promise land. Unfortunately he was cack.

Will Buckley - A loan that didn't quite work. No Biggie.

Callum Mcmanaman - see Will Buckley.

Jordan Rhodes - The saviour, the missing piece, the one person we should break the bank for. Well we did. And my word has it backfired. Still I didn't hear any complaints when he signed.

Jake Kean - Picked up on a free, small wages, provided cover, released. Again not a real issue 

Urby - This raised a few eyebrows. I think most fans thought how, why? Well we probably should have seen this coming. Since his 75 appearances for AC milan, his career was on a rapid downward trajectory. This still didn't stop a lot of fans getting excited. A player of this pedigree at Wednesday? It's like the good old days.

Well yeah the good old days of Francis Jeffers.

So what I'm trying to get at is hindsight is wonderful. 

Right now we are deeply in the brown stuff. But the clear policy at the time of these 2 windows was to throw everything at it and get promoted. Experience over youth. And...

If one of those playoff seasons had gone our way.....

If for once it was our luck that was in.....

We'd probably all be on here now saying how genius were DC, Doyen, Paxo etc.

However we didn't get promoted so let the slagging commence!

Never ceases to amaze me how people choose to ignore the fact that the two teams that beat us are right back where they started. Premiership money all gone. Imagine if DC had been in charge of a premiership club. Imagine the contracts he would have signed in the belief that we would never again be relegated. How come we would have survived and prospered where Hull and Huddersfield failed?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Hunt

Pudil

Sasso

Lopez

Bannan

Wallace

Foriesteri

Joao

Matias

Hooper

Turner

Sougou

Lachmann

Chansiri was already involved Doyen and Paxo, that’s the reason Carlos replaced Stuart Gray 

37 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Carlos stated that the fee for Reach was less than £4m.

There is a modern habit of transfer fees being leaked out that are the maximum possible extent of a deal. So for example, I believe we got something like £5m up front for Lucas Joao but this could rise to around £7m if certain conditions are fulfilled. There could be a similar arrangement for Jordan Rhodes; hence the widespread figures of between £6-10m that have been cited.

12 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Hunt

Pudil

Sasso

Lopez

Bannan

Wallace

Foriesteri

Joao

Matias

Hooper

Turner

Sougou

Lachmann

Great post.

Totally agree with all of the above, i doubt it will ever come to light about how the behind the scenes at football clubs are really ran..who really has all the power? But, the cynical side of me thinks there is plenty of truth in these 3rd parties controlling Chansiri, as i'm sure happens a lot in inexperienced foreign takeovers.

I do wonder how involved CC was with the player recruitment, i'd hazard a guess he would be behind any Premier Liga players but his team surely wouldn't have been tracking players for the English leagues?

But for fun, tagged players i think were worth the investment - in some form or another.

Highlights how poor our recruitment was the following summer, when we really were 2/3 key signings away from being the best team in the league.

When i think about it, it's really the Rhodes signing that killed us. Just about all the others i can forgive, it's football it doesn't always happen for a player, they get injured, don't suit the style of play, manager fallout etc. But a monstrous club record fee £10million and what £35,000+ (guestimate) for a striker that we DIDN'T EVEN NEED (Hooper,Fletcher,Joao,Forestieri,Nuhiu,Winnall all fit and firing) when we were so desperate for a CB to replace Loovens, an experienced CDM and a wide man to compliment Wallace like Knockaert...we could have bought all those and more for what we paid for Rhodes. 

11 hours ago, kristmace said:

That summer was the best transfer window I think we've ever had. Compare that to the absolute colossal waste of money the following season:

Adam Reach

Almen Abdi

Morgan Fox

Sam Winnall

Jordan Thorniley

Steven Fletcher

David Jones

Will Buckley

Callum McManaman

Jordan Rhodes

Jake Kean

Urby Emanuelson