Jump to content

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Thats what Monk has been saying since Xmas.

Exactly, their is no magic wand to reverse problems built up over many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

C.C looks a good option now. Not sure you can blame him for the signings, can't see how they have improved since he went.

 

 

That is CCs one saving grace with me. I cannot blame him for the signinings, entirely.

 

That was clear when we bought Jordan Rhodes. I bet Carlos had never heard of him untill Paxman sent him the memo he was going to be Mr Cs flagship signing...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentality,  Strategy & Tactical discipline is what has got Sheffield United to the position they are in. 

 

The players they have , the players the bought to get them out of this league are the same kind of players we could have bought. 

 

The manager is the same type of manager we have been recruiting. 

 

It has just been , luckily,  the right fit for them. They now have a squad of unified, positive,  mentally strong players. The complete opposite of us.

 

All it takes is the right blend, and you can't forsee what's going to work or isn't. So much luck involved in football to start a club off on an upward trajectory.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

...and you can't forsee what's going to work or isn't. So much luck involved in football to start a club off on an upward trajectory.  

 

It's amazing how resistant people are to that kind of suggestion. I've had real outrage and hostility at such a notion in the past. People treat football like it's as straightforward as Connect 4 rather than something of infinite complexity, including circumstance and chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Mentality,  Strategy & Tactical discipline is what has got Sheffield United to the position they are in. 

 

The players they have , the players the bought to get them out of this league are the same kind of players we could have bought. 

 

The manager is the same type of manager we have been recruiting. 

 

It has just been , luckily,  the right fit for them. They now have a squad of unified, positive,  mentally strong players. The complete opposite of us.

 

All it takes is the right blend, and you can't forsee what's going to work or isn't. So much luck involved in football to start a club off on an upward trajectory.  

I don't like to talk about Wilder, but its not luck. He's built winning teams before, just like Mourinho has built several winning teams before.

 

First and foremost the mentality of the player has to be right. Sharp was one of Wilders first signings. Sharp still plays his part, although mainly off the field this season.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballfancast.com/championship/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-gary-megson-comments-true-garry-monk-owls-latest/amp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

 

It's amazing how resistant people are to that kind of suggestion. I've had real outrage and hostility at such a notion in the past. People treat football like it's as straightforward as Connect 4 rather than something of infinite complexity, including circumstance and chance.

 

Circumstance and chance, plays its chance, but with the right mentality players make their own luck.

 

Our circumstances this season have been dire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Its the perfect storm at the moment.

 

I know Paxman / Chansiri have got us in this mess, but until the EFL decision is made, no one has any way of planning our way out of it. The others clubs in League One / The Championship already have their transfer targets in place.

 

Summer signings of leaders and players with a winning mentality are key, no matter what league we start in.

We make all of our signing the last week of the transfer window then we can maximise how much more we pay for them - its the DC way.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I don't like to talk about Wilder, but its not luck. He's built winning teams before, just like Mourinho has built several winning teams before.

 

First and foremost the mentality of the player has to be right. Sharp was one of Wilders first signings. Sharp still plays his part, although mainly off the field this season.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballfancast.com/championship/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-gary-megson-comments-true-garry-monk-owls-latest/amp

 

Hmm, don't really agree with Megson there to be honest, he sounds like a blinkered fan of the club rather than a professional football manager.

 

When a player signs for a club it should be a mutually beneficial agreement,  not one party being grateful to another. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I don't like to talk about Wilder, but its not luck. He's built winning teams before, just like Mourinho has built several winning teams before.

 

First and foremost the mentality of the player has to be right. Sharp was one of Wilders first signings. Sharp still plays his part, although mainly off the field this season.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballfancast.com/championship/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-gary-megson-comments-true-garry-monk-owls-latest/amp

 

I agree, but if you're dogged with ill-luck then you're unlikely to succeed.

 

I mean, United may well have gone up the season before had Coutts not been butchered.

 

Wilder struggled to find an answer thereafter, and the Blades had a poor second half of the season.

 

The Blades have been lucky in that, by and large, things have gone for them, or at least things haven't gone against them.

 

Leeds usually run out of steam in the last quarter, the fans apply pressure, and then they blow it.

 

This time they've had a rest, and the stadia are empty.

 

In our case, little goes right.

 

Crippling injuries - especially the injury to Hooper prior to the Playoff semi-final - and just when Chansiri finally got the managerial appointment right, he clears off to Newcastle.

 

Mistakes have been made, but unless we start to get the rub of the green a bit then it's hard to see us progressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

 

It's amazing how resistant people are to that kind of suggestion. I've had real outrage and hostility at such a notion in the past. People treat football like it's as straightforward as Connect 4 rather than something of infinite complexity, including circumstance and chance.

Your right, at our level luck plays a huge part, easy if you are a city or Liverpool sign worldies and not going to do too bad. At our level how many times do you see a club make on the face of a decent signing and they just flop, go somewhere else and works. Bit like our season really 1st half no way did we deserve to be 3rd we got away with it good luck, 2nd half pretty much all decisions injuries etc bad luck. Look at the chances we have had last few game had we took a couple of them and some strange Ref decisions go up quite easily had at least another 7 points. 

 Just don't need any bad luck with the EFL decision.

Think DC needs to get those Buddhist Monks working flat out on the blessings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Your right, at our level luck plays a huge part, easy if you are a city or Liverpool sign worldies and not going to do too bad. At our level how many times do you see a club make on the face of a decent signing and they just flop, go somewhere else and works. Bit like our season really 1st half no way did we deserve to be 3rd we got away with it good luck, 2nd half pretty much all decisions injuries etc bad luck. Look at the chances we have had last few game had we took a couple of them and some strange Ref decisions go up quite easily had at least another 7 points. 

 Just don't need any bad luck with the EFL decision.

Think DC needs to get those Buddhist Monks working flat out on the blessings.

 

Yes, the club needs blessing.

 

Until the pall that hangs over the club is dispersed, I can't see us moving forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, torryowl said:

how do you do it ?.......if you have a losing mentality then you have a losing mentality telling them they have to have a winning mentality may prove difficult  for them to take on board ........ 

The mantra when I was working and we were undertaking a change programme was Change the people (I.e. get the people to change their behaviours) or change the people I.e. bring in new 

It ought to be clear to all and sundry at SWFC it’s the latter and that’s what the upcoming transfer windows will be utilised for. And before people start jumping on GM it’s what Steve Bruce said what was needed

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great op. Mentality is so important - as everyone part of an organisation knows. 

 

The fact that we are desperate for a rebuild shows how badly we've gone wrong. You think back to Semedo and Loovens leaving and it's just not been right since. These guys must have been more important than I realised at the time.

 

Throughout all the signings of recent years, Bannan is the only one who looks to me like a leader. That's what we'll need, whether we're in Champ or League 1 next year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, room0035 said:

We make all of our signing the last week of the transfer window then we can maximise how much more we pay for them - its the DC way.

Lets be fair, the EFL have been toying with Mr C like an ant under a magnifying glass on a hot summers day for several years now.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Great op. Mentality is so important - as everyone part of an organisation knows. 

 

The fact that we are desperate for a rebuild shows how badly we've gone wrong. You think back to Semedo and Loovens leaving and it's just not been right since. These guys must have been more important than I realised at the time.

 

Throughout all the signings of recent years, Bannan is the only one who looks to me like a leader. That's what we'll need, whether we're in Champ or League 1 next year.

We're in despatate need of leaders on and off the pitch. Monk can't tow the whole ship on his own.

 

Semedo and Loovens clearly left massive holes in the dressing room. Just look at what happened to Lees when Loovens departed. Lees was missing in action the following year. And this latest debacle about Lees playing if he feels like playing is the cherry on the cake from the club Captain... FFS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we have sport psychologist or similar? Or we.just think that better coaching and better s&c must be all that's needed to win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Burnsie said:

I wonder if we have sport psychologist or similar? Or we.just think that better coaching and better s&c must be all that's needed to win?

You would hope Monk considers himself to be a Sports Psychologist.

 

If he or any manager is going to change the mentality of the players he's got to understand what makes the player tick, and what they struggle with in the game: mentally.

 

Its allright saying they players loose concentration during the game, but I'm expecting the Manager of SWFC to deal with it on an individual level as well as a team level.

 

There is too much outsourcing and delegation in football. Thats what led to the mess we're in: People buying players, without ressponsibility for the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

You would hope Monk considers himself to be a Sports Psychologist.

 

If he or any manager is going to change the mentality of the players he's got to understand what makes the player tick, and what they struggle with in the game: mentally.

 

Its allright saying they players loose concentration during the game, but I'm expecting the Manager of SWFC to deal with it on an individual level as well as a team level.

 

There is too much outsourcing and delegation in football. Thats what led to the mess we're in: People buying players, without ressponsibility for the results.

 

I'm not sure that Monk includes Sports Psychologist on his CV or not but I get annoyed when well paid professionals have virtually no idea how management works.

 

Managers/coaches like Klopp and Mourino, for example, are able to get players working in the same direction for the benefit of the team... "The art of management is getting people to do what YOU want to do because THEY want to do it"

 

This needs a well structured plan and the ability to execute that plan from strong leadership.

 

From a distance, it looks like the players are simply playing out the current season with no idea as to what happens next.

 

Whether the players have some idea as to what is required is the current unknown for those outside the club but I'd wager that the club hasn't got a Plan B if points are docked and relegation becomes a certainty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

 

I'm not sure that Monk includes Sports Psychologist on his CV or not but I get annoyed when well paid professionals have virtually no idea how management works.

 

Managers/coaches like Klopp and Mourino, for example, are able to get players working in the same direction for the benefit of the team... "The art of management is getting people to do what YOU want to do because THEY want to do it"

 

This needs a well structured plan and the ability to execute that plan from strong leadership.

 

From a distance, it looks like the players are simply playing out the current season with no idea as to what happens next.

 

Whether the players have some idea as to what is required is the current unknown for those outside the club but I'd wager that the club hasn't got a Plan B if points are docked and relegation becomes a certainty.

 

I would hope any Football Manager includes Sports Phycologist on their CV, but they may refer too it at something else. Old fashioned Man Management for example.

 

Re your comment: "The art of management is getting people to do what YOU want to do because THEY want to do it"

 

It appears Klopp has this art covered in spades. It reminds me of this Liverpool pre season story where Klopp introduces the squad to a German surfer to practice breathing under water. The Liverpool players at the end of the season cited what they learnt that day as one of the major building blocks in their sucess this season.

 

"If you're focused on, 'I want to breathe, I want to get my head out of the water, I'm uncomfortable', you're going to panic right away and not be able to perform at all. 

“But if you relax and focus, 'OK, I'm here, it's good, I'm doing well and I can do this.’ Then you add that competitive edge, 'OK, I know my time and I know that the body next to me did longer than me, I need to calm down even more and focus on being relaxed’. Then all of a sudden you lose four minutes. 

“I think you can translate it to anything. They really understood it really, really quick.”

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolfc.com/amp/news/features/400102-how-a-meeting-with-a-surfer-helped-liverpool-stay-calm-under-pressure

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Semedo got criticism about his ability, but he was a winner in terms of attitude. When you add in Loovens and Wallace - to lose all that experience and personality is tough. 
I can’t decide with Bannan whether he is a “winner” just for himself or the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...