What can the club do to get back on track?

Guest Grandad

Knee jerk sackings always seem compulsive and impatient but hey, this is football and that’s what happens.

Monk is dull, his team selection can be bizarre, the players that could have made a difference after Christmas were overlooked and he doesn’t have the charisma or personality to make silk purses out of sows ears... that Big Ron factor. 

He’d already be gone if it was me .

”Who would you replace him with “ I hear you shout.... well I ain’t gonna go through the names ( rest assured that Pulis isn’t one of them) but I’m sure a change is urgently needed.

In fact having Joss then Monk has been such an uninspiring couple of stewardship’s...we’ve just been treading water, getting tired and slowly drowning.

48 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Reading all kinds of SWFC related social media just now, as well as Owlstalk, the air of despndency surrounding all things Wednesday is palpable.

Its very clear that their is a large section of our fans who have lost hope that the club can turn things round and start to go fiorward with some momentum.

So - give the Chairman some constructive advice. What can he, and the club do, to restore some faith amongst its supporter base?

My contribution - employ an experienced football CEO and announce that the Chairman will be leaving all decisions to that CEO going forward.

Over to you

One thing this thread is proving is that clearly most on here know even less about running a successful business than Chansiri. But to join in with the fun, you have a point to some degree.

Chairman and boards don't leave decisions to CEO's, that isn't how dual governance works. Chairmen and boards set strategy and CEO's carry it out on a day to day basis. I would guess that in this case, like in many smaller businesses, the Owner/Chairman has too much power and too much of a say in how things are done. We don't seem to have a functioning board and the advisor model isn't really governance.

Its the board that needs strengthening first, in terms of skills and influence. The strategy seems to be largely made up on the hoof. Getting in some experienced Non Execs would be the best route to sorting things out and getting a proper strategy in place medium to long term. 

Then we can get a CX in to make it happen. Except in football its not that simple.

Anyhow that's what I would advise.

14 minutes ago, james o connor said:

The only thing that can happen to improve the club is the chairman leaving . I can’t see that happening 

It wouldn't bother me if he left today the club would fall into administration and be relegated I have watched 3rd tier football before and would do so again

• Like 1

Simple stuff will help

Change the badge

Change the prices

Make the stadium look presentable again

Release the kit early

Appoint a chief exec or DoF to run the club, cos he's proven poor at it 

It really isn't rocket science 

Although she came with a bit of baggage I thought us employing the Belgium Women from Charlton was a step in the right direction.

Let someone like that run the club day to day.

Employ a Director of Football and put into place a coaching and scouting set up. No shame in looking at what other clubs have done and taking ideas from them.

Just now, fudge27 said:

Simple stuff will help

Change the badge

Change the prices

Release the kit early

Who's paying for it because a lot on here want the chairman to be be more frugal in future so where does the money come from

5 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Simple stuff will help

Change the badge

Change the prices

Release the kit early

I think we will need some new players first, that would help!

• Like 1

Guest Kameron

We've got to find the right manager from somewhere, yeah there's all kinds of problems that need sorting  throughout the club but a lot of that stuff would sort it's self  if results on the pitch we're consistently good or improving.  We need to go back to basics, football is a very simple game like all team games.  The problem is it's over complicated by arseholes with badges, get a squad of players to believe and buy into what you want to achieve and your 80% there, add in a decent owner to fund a bit of quality and leave the manager to it and your 90% there, the final 10% is good old lady luck but if you get the other stuff there or there abouts she'll be on your side.

Where to start, there's simply so many things that can be done to improve, brief summary:

- Change focus from short-termism to long-termism.  Make every decision about the impact on the club in 3, 5, 10 years.   This will not be popular.  Even now, people calling for managers to be sacked with four games to go.

- Employ business people to run the business and balance the books, employ football people to run the product

- Director of Football is needed urgently.  We need to know how we  are in relation to our competitors in all aspects of facilities, recruitment, coaching, medical and a DoF can take a long-view on how to improve those for all levels at Wednesday. 

- Get bums on sets post-Covid19, however that is achieved.  When Hillsborough is full, that's when Wednesday players are at their best and energy levels are high.  I don't care if a player or two can't cope with 30000 fans, if they can't then they're never going to be players we need to succeed at higher levels or in pressure games.    

- Have a rigid wage cap, even if it costs us signing players.  Like anyone with debt or deficit issues, set achievable targets year after year, improve year after year until the business of SWFC is sustainable.

- Explain to Mr Chansiri that it's better for his wealth and health to take a step away from micromanagement and decision making, and owning the club would be far more enjoyable if he relinquished some of those decisions to a trusted board.

- Minor point: Club shop is absolutely dire.  We're not all young lads who want big blazing logos going diagonally across the chest.  Some want subtle or more classical wear.  I hate the rubbish in there.

• Like 4

Just start with some clarity. Im sure that it was said previoulsy that if we didnt get promoted this season then we would be in trouble. Well this is whats happened, so tell us all what now?

If it means starting with a huge clear out, vastly reducing the wage bill and potentially recruiting from the lower leagues while promoting youth, tell us that. If we have to tread water for a couple of seasons while we rebuild, or until FFP allows us to spend again, in the hope that we get lucky inbetween sobeit. I think there would be more patience from the supporters if we knew what was happening.

Lomger term, fInd a way to get fans more involved..... People who can offer their services to help the club. Create a 365 day hub around the stadium,

12 minutes ago, modboy said:

Fresh start, proper footballing experts in to run the club.

28k seater stadium that can be expanded 

A priority on youth over has-beens

Oh yeh that's the Brentford model 

Who's paying for new stadium