Garry Monk “All the players are on the brink"

Just now, alanharper said:

Which is why I specifically referred to the Wilko era, high octane football, constant pressing, and 14 mile cross country runs just to warm up for the morning's training! 

Some of our current players wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes back then. 

The Wilko era team would be blown away by players of the modern age

They'd get nowhere near em, get shoved, pushed and battled out of the way and get steamrollered

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Which is why I specifically referred to the Wilko era, high octane football, constant pressing, and 14 mile cross country runs just to warm up for the morning's training! 

Some of our current players wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes back then. 

Players were different then.....

I mean can you Imagine the face on Terry Curran if they asked him if he would 

"Play in the hole behind a false number 9"

14 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

We ALL KNOW Monk isn't the only problem. We ALL KNOW DC is a major problem. But DC isn't going to fire himself now is he?

Neither is he going to sack Monk with 4 games to go, never wanted Monk in the first place but is DC going to choose anyone who will be 

successful and honestly with all thats going on cant see any of note being remotely interested.

1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

Neither is he going to sack Monk with 4 games to go, never wanted Monk in the first place but is DC going to choose anyone who will be 

successful and honestly with all thats going on cant see any of note being remotely interested.

But hopefully his rolling contract is stopped in it's tracks, a bit like his team.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They'd get nowhere near em, get shoved, pushed and battled out of the way and get steamrollered

Can you imagine Jordan Rhodes trying to shove Mick Lyons out of the way? Even today lol

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They wouldn't because they would have access to modern diets, training, science, etc etc. Talented players of any era would be just as good today, they wouldn't just play as if it was 1984, they'd adjust. Tom Finney, George Best, Stan Matthews and george Best would be superstars. Fred Spikesley might be the greatest of them all!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

MONK.jpg

“All the players are on the brink"

“I’d like to rotate it a bit more but results dictate that as well. If we’d had the results we felt we deserved or had more points, there possibly can be a bit more ease in terms of what the perception is from the outside, being able to rotate a little bit more, maybe give the youngsters a bit more of a chance, but we’re not in a position to do that.

“We’re having to try keep our best players on the pitch because the results are dictating that, they’re all on the edge"

Talking about Connor Wickham and Kieren Lee..

“We gave them all the way up to yesterday.

"We could see there was no specific injury, they like a lot of the players are right on that ‘red line’, the borderline of injury or not. We have to be very careful with those players.

“With Kieran and Connor’s history as well, they’re right on that red line and are two players that expend a lot of energy. Connor has come back and thrown a lot of energy into it, Kieran plays with a lot of energy and has that history.

“It came down to the reality of losing them for one game rather than the rest of the games. We’re very hopeful they’ll be back for the weekend.

“That’s the plan, we’ll see how they feel, they feel better each day.”

Just when you thought GM had run out of excuses! Fannies the lot of them. End of. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Its still odd how players these days benefit from modern sports science, masseurs, nutrition etc. yet back in the 80s most of the squad played nearly 50 games a season, didn't get rested for cup games, almost always played for the full 90 minutes (only 1 sub in those days), on awful muddy pitches and in Wilkinson's high tempo all action style - but rarely got injured and still achieved results. 

I suppose it's all relative to the context of the time and the opposition you have to be better than.

I doubt many of the teams from back then would stand a chance against the top teams of today - the speed, physique and athleticism required has moved on apace. 

I can't imagine too many of today's professionals being able to drink and eat the stuff players did in the 80s and even early 90s and still compete.

Save next season. Get rid of Monk and have a proper new start. Or we have to wait till November then be told his new players haven't gelled that is all the squads mentality and that the new man will need time to get to the summer and get the players in to have a proper go the year after. 

How about NO sack Monk and start things fresh (but ffs get a quality manager in) spend some money on pinching someone else's successful manager for once instead of the reject merrigoround !

• Like 4

MONK.jpg

“All the players are on the brink"

“I’d like to rotate it a bit more but results dictate that as well. If we’d had the results we felt we deserved or had more points, there possibly can be a bit more ease in terms of what the perception is from the outside, being able to rotate a little bit more, maybe give the youngsters a bit more of a chance, but we’re not in a position to do that.

“We’re having to try keep our best players on the pitch because the results are dictating that, they’re all on the edge"

Talking about Connor Wickham and Kieren Lee..

“We gave them all the way up to yesterday.

"We could see there was no specific injury, they like a lot of the players are right on that ‘red line’, the borderline of injury or not. We have to be very careful with those players.

“With Kieran and Connor’s history as well, they’re right on that red line and are two players that expend a lot of energy. Connor has come back and thrown a lot of energy into it, Kieran plays with a lot of energy and has that history.

“It came down to the reality of losing them for one game rather than the rest of the games. We’re very hopeful they’ll be back for the weekend.

“That’s the plan, we’ll see how they feel, they feel better each day.”

******** no idea,never done out,show some hollow and walk..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I can't see any modern day player pushing and shoving Mick Lyons out of the way. 

• Like 1

If we’d had the results we felt we deserved or had more points

And if my mum had wheels, she'd be a wagon. 

What a bellend Monk is. Out.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GLOwl said:

Who are those? Hutchinson and Winall are the only ones I can think of. That's not loads, and I think were let go for the bigger benefit of the club?

And the rest of the bunch rejected extensions to their deals. 

Not much he can do about that

• Like 1

as a team we are weak, weak mentality and frail. We haven't got a `Nasty side` and we need to develop one sharpish, we are pushover's led by a weak inept manager. 

we need to grit our teeth, do the ugly bits, strong tackles, swarm the referees, get it opposition teams faces. Last night PNE lump of a centre forward bullied us, so much so he won everything. Why can't we do the same. Its embarrassing. Every good side has had a nasty player or nasty streak in them. We don't, no leaders in the dressing room, no siege mentality. That stems from the manager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modboy said:

I honestly believed playing behind closed doors would suit us as the players seem to struggle with the negative atmosphere at the moment. How wrong was I 

surprised Monk hasn't used that as an excuse yet , that the fans aren't their to roar us on 

• Haha 1