Garry Monk “All the players are on the brink"

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

MONK.jpg

“All the players are on the brink"

“I’d like to rotate it a bit more but results dictate that as well. If we’d had the results we felt we deserved or had more points, there possibly can be a bit more ease in terms of what the perception is from the outside, being able to rotate a little bit more, maybe give the youngsters a bit more of a chance, but we’re not in a position to do that.

“We’re having to try keep our best players on the pitch because the results are dictating that, they’re all on the edge"

Talking about Connor Wickham and Kieren Lee..

“We gave them all the way up to yesterday.

"We could see there was no specific injury, they like a lot of the players are right on that ‘red line’, the borderline of injury or not. We have to be very careful with those players.

“With Kieran and Connor’s history as well, they’re right on that red line and are two players that expend a lot of energy. Connor has come back and thrown a lot of energy into it, Kieran plays with a lot of energy and has that history.

“It came down to the reality of losing them for one game rather than the rest of the games. We’re very hopeful they’ll be back for the weekend.

“That’s the plan, we’ll see how they feel, they feel better each day.”

Do we keep believing the rubbish that comes out of his mouth

He has 21 players to pick from but for every game the same 7 players have played

Wildsmith, Palmer, Iorfa, Luongo, Bannan, Murphy, Harris.

Borner, Lee and Wickham missed 1 game

He has options he just won't play them then says they have injuries when people pick him up on it.

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

MONK.jpg

“All the players are on the brink"

“I’d like to rotate it a bit more but results dictate that as well. If we’d had the results we felt we deserved or had more points, there possibly can be a bit more ease in terms of what the perception is from the outside, being able to rotate a little bit more, maybe give the youngsters a bit more of a chance, but we’re not in a position to do that.

“We’re having to try keep our best players on the pitch because the results are dictating that, they’re all on the edge"

Talking about Connor Wickham and Kieren Lee..

“We gave them all the way up to yesterday.

"We could see there was no specific injury, they like a lot of the players are right on that ‘red line’, the borderline of injury or not. We have to be very careful with those players.

“With Kieran and Connor’s history as well, they’re right on that red line and are two players that expend a lot of energy. Connor has come back and thrown a lot of energy into it, Kieran plays with a lot of energy and has that history.

“It came down to the reality of losing them for one game rather than the rest of the games. We’re very hopeful they’ll be back for the weekend.

“That’s the plan, we’ll see how they feel, they feel better each day.”

all sounds very reasonable to me

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

He has 21 players to pick from but for every game the same 7 players have played

He has options he just won't play them then says they have injuries when people pick him up on it.

21 players. Pick me the team you would havr played last night from the fit ones.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

With the exception of a big EFL cloud hanging overhead. This has to have an affect on the players despite GM saying not.

Wigan are in a bigger mess than us off the field but the manager and players have just got on with it and grafted, no moping, no excuses.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

In fairness, Fletcher, Forestieri and Fox also left.

Which on the one hand is a blow as those players might have helped us to avoid relegation.

On the other hand, the club has enabled those players to run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

Whereas a better ran and more progressive club would have moved those players on 18 months ago and reinvested the profits into brining in younger, hungrier replacements.

Indeed

Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Palmer, Reach, Odabajo, Urhoghide, Wildsmith, Rhodes all players in the last 12 months of their contracts at the club. What's a betting we get a grand total of ZERO money in, for any of these players before they leave for frees next summer, but in that time we will have paid in excess of £8-10m on their combined wages with many of them trouble makers or bad eggs and that's why they won't get any game time.

37 minutes ago, TheLastSleepingGiant said:

Maybe should have used some common sense and not released a load of squad players that you were incapable of man managing.

Bored of his excuses now

released...

As in the ones we cant afford to keep?

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Bigger benefit means for the sake of the vast majority in making the club a much happier ace. You can't have disruptive people around spoiling it for the rest.

Saying he was unable to suitably manage certain characters is one way of looking at it, getting rid of trouble causers is another, and in my opinion the right way to look at it. We are and will continue to be better off as a result.

We really seem to have benefitted from the club being a much happier place don’t we?

A football manager has a team of players to utilise and get the best possible results on the pitch. That means getting the best out of the players available to play. 

The players extradited were part of a squad which had us in 3rd place at Christmas. The same players have since been left out and, low and behold our results have capitulated and, we may end up relegated.

Monk has a duty to manage this football club. If he leaves players out and, the results take a hit as a result. That’s absolutely his issue. We were in a position to challenge for automatic promotion for crying out loud. You don’t sacrifice that for ‘a happier place’.

I completely agree that if certain players are continually causing problems it needs to be addressed. This should be done in a manner which doesn’t affect the on field results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Cos we're, for some bewildering reason I can't get my head around, not a selling club. And Chansiri has shown he has absolutely no clue on how to engage in the transfer market.  Not like it's important or anything.

The sad fact is we were only ever a play thing and acquisition to a rich person/family who know nothing about how to run a football club. It was sadly always going to end badly. I fear for the future of my club.

41 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Good excuse Gary, but results weren't any better when you had a full squad to pick from before their contracts expired or were released.

Exactly this. If we'd picked up the points we should have earlier in the season instead of throwing them away with last minute goals and limp, defensive performances at home, we wouldn't be in this mess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Von shabba said:

The sad fact is we were only ever a play thing and acquisition to a rich person/family who know nothing about how to run a football club. It was sadly always going to end badly. I fear for the future of my club.

I usually reserve an opinion till I can see solid evidence.  But I find it hard to disagree with you.

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

i picked you up on the players you think he should have picked last night and you didnt answer

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

i picked you up on the players you think he should have picked last night and you didnt answer

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, billyblack said:

21 players. Pick me the team you would havr played last night from the fit ones.

Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Borner, Iorfa, Reach, Bannan, Luongo, Windass, Murphy, Rhodes.

Either a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-1-1 with Windass playing the number 10 role/attacking midfielder.

Before you pick up on it, GM keeps telling us Lees is fit, When asked on numerous occasion over the last few weeks only Urhoghide and Windass have been mentioned as injured. Westwood is never mentioned until we ask where is he and its his leg, his shoulder, Gary Monk's ego. 

We have the players, we just have a manager who plays his favourite then uses excuses when they lose.

Harris has not contributed to a goal or an assist in 18 games, his last one was away at Brentford in December last year, yet Reach gets 1 game and is dropped when he does not perform, why has Harris got 18 games+. last night when Murphy got injured he had Reach, Windass and Hughes all on the bench as a attacking Midfield option,  instead he bring on Odabajo possible the worse player we have in the whole squad. 

Edited by room0035
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

We really seem to have benefitted from the club being a much happier place don’t we?

A football manager has a team of players to utilise and get the best possible results on the pitch. That means getting the best out of the players available to play. 

The players extradited were part of a squad which had us in 3rd place at Christmas. The same players have since been left out and, low and behold our results have capitulated and, we may end up relegated.

Monk has a duty to manage this football club. If he leaves players out and, the results take a hit as a result. That’s absolutely his issue. We were in a position to challenge for automatic promotion for crying out loud. You don’t sacrifice that for ‘a happier place’.

I completely agree that if certain players are continually causing problems it needs to be addressed. This should be done in a manner which doesn’t affect the on field results.

monk has a duty to manage the players. DC has the duty of running the club

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 0wl18 said:

We will benefit in the long term, guaranteed.

And saying we were third at Xmas with the exiled players being in the team doesn't stand up as a good argument. Those same players were in the team when we were poor at the end of Carlos's term. And what's to say that if those players were still in the team we'd be in a better position now? It could be worse, other players may not have stayed. We just don't know. They've gone, rightly in my opinion and we move on.

• Haha 2