Garry Monk “All the players are on the brink"

MONK.jpg

“All the players are on the brink"

“I’d like to rotate it a bit more but results dictate that as well. If we’d had the results we felt we deserved or had more points, there possibly can be a bit more ease in terms of what the perception is from the outside, being able to rotate a little bit more, maybe give the youngsters a bit more of a chance, but we’re not in a position to do that.

“We’re having to try keep our best players on the pitch because the results are dictating that, they’re all on the edge"

Talking about Connor Wickham and Kieren Lee..

“We gave them all the way up to yesterday.

"We could see there was no specific injury, they like a lot of the players are right on that ‘red line’, the borderline of injury or not. We have to be very careful with those players.

“With Kieran and Connor’s history as well, they’re right on that red line and are two players that expend a lot of energy. Connor has come back and thrown a lot of energy into it, Kieran plays with a lot of energy and has that history.

“It came down to the reality of losing them for one game rather than the rest of the games. We’re very hopeful they’ll be back for the weekend.

“That’s the plan, we’ll see how they feel, they feel better each day.”

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I’m sure they are but it is the same for most other clubs in the league. We aren’t unique to this problem. 

With the exception of a big EFL cloud hanging overhead. This has to have an affect on the players despite GM saying not.

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I’m sure they are but it is the same for most other clubs in the league. We aren’t unique to this problem. 

We actually are in the worst position of all championship clubs according to transfer market.

We have 21 registered players left including 4 keepers and kids plus loans.

Bristol C have 35.

Having such a lot of players coming out of contract in a smaller squad this season,  looked like a positive pre coronavirus.

Not now.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TheLastSleepingGiant said:

Maybe should have used some common sense and not released a load of squad players that you were incapable of man managing.

Bored of his excuses now

Who are those? Hutchinson and Winall are the only ones I can think of. That's not loads, and I think were let go for the bigger benefit of the club?

5 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Who are those? Hutchinson and Winall are the only ones I can think of. That's not loads, and I think were let go for the bigger benefit of the club?

By bigger benefit, do you mean relegation to league 1? 

Let’s not forget these player were available prior to Covid and, Monk was unable to suitably manage certain characters to the detriment of results on the pitch.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

I think it's nonsense. 3 months off, only 5 games in, with 8 days between 1st and 2nd matches. Sounds like an excuse. Other clubs are getting on with it. Certain players are struggling but that's personal and case specific, not circumstantial. I can understand Connor fatiguing, because when was the last time he played 4 games in a row? Played so little. As for Lee, he simply can't get through a run of games anymore. That's nothing to do with schedule. 

2 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

By bigger benefit, do you mean relegation to league 1? 

Let’s not forget these player were available prior to Covid and, Monk was unable to suitably manage certain characters to the detriment of results on the pitch.

Bigger benefit means for the sake of the vast majority in making the club a much happier ace. You can't have disruptive people around spoiling it for the rest.

Saying he was unable to suitably manage certain characters is one way of looking at it, getting rid of trouble causers is another, and in my opinion the right way to look at it. We are and will continue to be better off as a result.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

In fairness, Fletcher, Forestieri and Fox also left.

Which on the one hand is a blow as those players might have helped us to avoid relegation.

On the other hand, the club has enabled those players to run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

Whereas a better ran and more progressive club would have moved those players on 18 months ago and reinvested the profits into brining in younger, hungrier replacements.

Edited by Westfield Owl
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Westfield Owl said:

In fairness, Fletcher, Forestieri and Fox also left.

Which on the one hand is a blow as those players might have helped us to avoid relegation.

On the other hand, the club has enabled those players to run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

Whereas a more a better ran and more progressive club would have moved those players on 18 months ago and reinvested the profits into brining in younger, hungrier replacements.

You said "let go"! Those 3 players were asked to stay but declined (I'm personally glad FF declined).

Agree totally that we are 99% rubbish at selling players, the only exception being Jaoa.