Anyone calling for the managers head doesn't really get it

I love the question "who would you replace him with?"

As if that's the be all and end all 

I'd replace Monk with a scarecrow, and then the tin man, and then the cowardly lion.

And then after that I'd start thinking about the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain who gives them an imitation of what they're asking for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommo_ said:

Managed 4 points against promotion chasing Forest and Bristol City, then went to absolute poo leaking goals like a sieve 

I dOn'T rEaLlY gEt It

I know at the moment there's an element of changing the line up to manage fitness but for me Monk gets in the spiral of constant changes. We have a poor result so he changes the line up, that doesn't work so he changes it again & so on & so on. He doesn't take a step back & go back to what worked before. Don't get me started on his substitutions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think one of the reasons Bruce moved on is that he could see the writing on the wall.

3 hours ago, Cypriot Owl said:

I think it was because he was a disloyal too hat

Bruce got himself a much better job last summer and he’s doing just fine at NUFC (yes I’m aware they lost to Man City this evening).

Can’t really slag off a bloke for wanting to better himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

Appointing a Director of Football would be a good start to solving the underlying issues at the club. 

Getting rid of Monk might satisfy a certain proportion of the fan base, but is akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, looking at the wider picture.

We have a DOF don’t we isnt it Mr Chansiris son ? You’d think so anyway . 

totally agree with the OP's sentiment here.  It is mismanagement from top of the club to the bottom that has let us down.   Monk has been here 5 minutes and takes the flak for basically not being able to coach players who he hasn't signed and who he clearly doesnt trust.

Football is all about  player ability and positive player mentality.  Most of this squad has neither.    Look at A) how many proper footballers we have and B) How many late goals we concede.  The make-up of the squad is a total disaster.  Bad apples mixed in with weak mentalities.

Fletcher papered over the cracks by being brilliant in the first half of the season and we stumbled up on a way of playing that could use him as the focal point. Fletcher gets injured, then leaves and results go down the pan.

Monk is just an average manager in a joke of a football club.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marcx666 said:

Under Bruce we were going in the right direction, under Monk even without a points deduction we are going downwards. That speaks more than anything.

What did DC do with the £2m compensation we got for Bruce? What did he do with money saved by no longer needing to pay Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence?

After faffing about for months so that a new manager wouldn't have a transfer window or pre-season, DC replaced Steve Bruce and his two experienced assistants with one man: Monk

What did he think was going to happen?

"Top 2"

:Chansiri:

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Bruce got himself a much better job last summer and he’s doing just fine at NUFC (yes I’m aware they lost to Man City this evening).

Can’t really slag off a bloke for wanting to better himself.

Is it OK to ask why DC gave a manager of Bruce's calibre a contract that lasted just one year? It wouldn't be hard for a manager with Bruce's reputation to find a better job when he has less than a year on his contract. Furthermore, if Bruce was tied to a longer term contract it may have dissuaded Newcastle from pursuing him.

For what it's worth, I've always been under the impression that Bruce wanted out, so he had someone sniff around for another opportunity. Just a hunch.

1 hour ago, bobness said:

What did DC do with the £2m compensation we got for Bruce? What did he do with money saved by no longer needing to pay Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence?

After faffing about for months so that a new manager wouldn't have a transfer window or pre-season, DC replaced Steve Bruce and his two experienced assistants with one man: Monk

What did he think was going to happen?

"Top 2"

:Chansiri:

He's more or less abandoned the club, got a manager in who doesn't give a buggery and fired anyone thats said anything negative to him.
There's a malaise that's rotting the club into utter extinction.

3 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

He's more or less abandoned the club, got a manager in who doesn't give a buggery and fired anyone thats said anything negative to him.
There's a malaise that's rotting the club into utter extinction.

I think it might have more to do with the club being a bit foooked financially, than with DC "abandoning the club". DC hasn't a clue what he's doing, he's dug this hole which is going to be ridiculously tough for him to navigate out of. That's not someone "abandoning" the club, that's someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I think he's going to try sticking with us, but consider that his means to do so are possibly near exhaustion.

4 minutes ago, bobness said:

I think it might have more to do with the club being a bit foooked financially, than with DC "abandoning the club". DC hasn't a clue what he's doing, he's dug this hole which is going to be ridiculously tough for him to navigate out of. That's not someone "abandoning" the club, that's someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I think he's going to try sticking with us, but consider that his means to do so are possibly near exhaustion.

By abandoning i mean....As a Chairman, he's been noticeably absent recently. We need leaders. Off and on the pitch. We have none of these Chairman Manager  Captain... all utterly impotent.

I really don’t get this, he can’t be expected to coach players he hasn’t signed. If that’s the case, it’s pathetic, all coaches will have to do that at some point. There have been issues with the squad for sure, but there should have been enough quality there, to have fared a lot better than we have recently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobness said:

Is it OK to ask why DC gave a manager of Bruce's calibre a contract that lasted just one year? It wouldn't be hard for a manager with Bruce's reputation to find a better job when he has less than a year on his contract. Furthermore, if Bruce was tied to a longer term contract it may have dissuaded Newcastle from pursuing him.

For what it's worth, I've always been under the impression that Bruce wanted out, so he had someone sniff around for another opportunity. Just a hunch.

I imagine that Bruce will have insisted on it being a short contract.

And DC will have said yes as this chairman only ever seems to focus on his short-term interests.

7 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

It's who buys the club and the price.

DC ain't getting his money back he's put into the club until we are in the premiership and the value sky rockets!

So, whats that got to do with it. Makes no odds to me. No point changing everyrhing else if the fundamental problem still remains.

8 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I imagine that Bruce will have insisted on it being a short contract.

And DC will have said yes as this chairman only ever seems to focus on his short-term interests.

Given that DC has supposedly only ever handed out one-year rolling contracts to our managers, we have to assume this was not something Bruce had requested.