Formation clearly not working

21 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

To blame them is comical, when they had to attempt to cover JPs role too. 

So many times JP was clearly supposed to show for the short ball but was hiding and so Bannan had to do it

JP made plenty of mistakes but objectively, Luongo went missing and Bannan sold his team mates short so many times last night. Nothing to do with covering for JP.

You don't like him, I get it. I don't think he's up to it at this level either, but there were so many other things wrong with last night's performance to single out one player. 

You defend from the front and no one did last night.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Börner is too slow to play on the left of a three, and Palmer is not a centre-half. It's no surprise we're shipping goals. Monk may have chosen a system to better suit our midfield options, but has caused problems at the back in doing so. 

Exactly this. Plus Harris and Murphy aren't wing backs. In this formation Iorfa is the only defensive player that we can rely on. 

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

The same lad that at least half the clubs in the Championship were trying to sign on loan in January.

Aye that one.

90% of our squad has remained unchanged since the start of the 2018/19 season.

Or to put it another way, if our players are so rubbish, why were we 3rd in the league at Xmas?

I think losing Fletcher was absolutely key.

He was the cement that held us together.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

That's the funny stupid thing regarding rules. He's back but cannot play.

Then we play Palmer left and Urhogide right, i guess?

Wildsmith
Urhoghide - Iorfa - Borner - Palmer
Luongo - Hunt
Harris - Bannan - Da Cruz
Wickham

Something like that

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Börner is too slow to play on the left of a three, and Palmer is not a centre-half. It's no surprise we're shipping goals. Monk may have chosen a system to better suit our midfield options, but has caused problems at the back in doing so. 

Central defenders without pace but with brilliant positional sense and great reading of the game can play at the very highest level successfully.

Sadly, Borner has poor positional sense and doesn’t read the game well. He’s massively overrated and not good enough.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Then we play Palmer left and Urhogide right, i guess?

Wildsmith
Urhoghide - Iorfa - Borner - Palmer
Luongo - Hunt
Harris - Bannan - Da Cruz
Wickham

Something like that

I believe Urhoghide is injured, some knee problem. I think he would have been in the squad otherwise with Lees out.

We have an issue with our midfield not scoring enough. With that formation, Wickham is getting very lonely but we cannot play two in the middle either because we get overrun. In that sense, 3-5-2 is the best option we have but we don't seem to have the proper shaped pegs in the holes in that one either. 😬

I’ve preached to stick with the formation. But I’m going to contradict myself and suggest we do change. 

We have struggled to score goals, we have played numerous formations since Christmas. We have conceded a lot of goals aswell. First and foremost let’s get the defence sorted. I’d go to a 4141. Iorfa Lees Borner Palmer the back 4. Joey sat behind Luongo and Bannan. Murphy and Reach out wide and Wickham up top alone.

Need to stop conceding goals, we have conceded 3 or more on 8 occasions in our last 18 games. 

30 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I’ve preached to stick with the formation. But I’m going to contradict myself and suggest we do change. 

We have struggled to score goals, we have played numerous formations since Christmas. We have conceded a lot of goals aswell. First and foremost let’s get the defence sorted. I’d go to a 4141. Iorfa Lees Borner Palmer the back 4. Joey sat behind Luongo and Bannan. Murphy and Reach out wide and Wickham up top alone.

Need to stop conceding goals, we have conceded 3 or more on 8 occasions in our last 18 games. 

Worth remembering that we were even more appalling prior to 352.

Brum 3-3

Injury-struck Charlton 1-0 (Fletcher!)

Derby 1-3

Brentford 0-5

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Worth remembering that we were even more appalling prior to 352.

Brum 3-3

Injury-struck Charlton 1-0 (Fletcher!)

Derby 1-3

Brentford 0-5

Your right, I’m kinda thinking back to the last couple of times I saw us play well. Leeds away and Brighton away. We played a 4141 on those days and I thought it suited us. 

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Playing three at the back when you only  have TWO centre halves isn't the brightest thing to do. It's hardly rocket science to realise you just don't do it. 

There's nowt wrong with the 3 we have, it is the midfield that do not work back  to cover the wingbacks.

I Coached a team of 16yr old's to play that way back in 1991-2 season, and you have to have a good midfield 3 

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Central defenders without pace but with brilliant positional sense and great reading of the game can play at the very highest level successfully.

Sadly, Borner has poor positional sense and doesn’t read the game well. He’s massively overrated and not good enough.

We're not at the highest level and can't get players of that standard, which is the obvious flaw in your argument. Börner doesn't have the legs to compensate for errors or cope with pacey wingers when drawn into full-back areas. If used in a 3, he should be central. 

3 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Exactly, said this before and he's even played moses cb which cost 2 goals in 1 game, palmer culpable for 2 yesterday too imo.

Monks boxed himself in corner tho saying 352 is suddenly the way, despite losing suitable players like hutch and fox for it so it will likely stay until hes gone.

Nothing ideal with our squad but would go 433/451 and basics, keeping it tight, pace on break.

Wsmith

Moses/murphy. iorfa borner palmer

Lee bannan reach/luongo

Murphy/harris. wickham harris/reach

Bar iorfa, murphy, wickham and poss bannan, would start again for a 1st team and get rid of monk&bullen asap

11 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

There's nowt wrong with the 3 we have, it is the midfield that do not work back  to cover the wingbacks.

I Coached a team of 16yr old's to play that way back in 1991-2 season, and you have to have a good midfield 3 

Your lads will be about 44 years old now. Do they still have boots and what are they doing this Saturday?

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Nothing ideal with our squad but would go 433/451 and basics, keeping it tight, pace on break.

He can't, not after so boldly stating that 3-5-2 is the way forward with these players, and this is the blueprint blah blah..

Would show himself as the clueless idiot he might just be. Has set his stall out now and must persevere with this system now for the time being at least. 

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Workednok against Forest, worked ok against Bristol City, it all goes titsup when Monk changes a winning team and then it goes bad to worse.

This 

We looked solid in both games. Played well first half at Swansea.

Its the best option at the moment. Unfortunately it’s a struggle to put the same 11 out each game