Formation clearly not working

31 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

What do you class as chance then if not a shot at goal?.

A chance is where we have a chance of scoring. A shot can be 35 yards out hitting the corner flag or going in to the upper stand of leppings Lane. Can try them all night but won't score so they're pointless and muddy the water. 

28 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

FFS!.

The kid was MoM for me tonight, followed by DaCruz, Banan was far worse with the amount of misplaced passes.

But, hey, once the boo boy.

Bannan was worse but Pelupessy made one good block in the first half and that was his contribution 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

A chance is where we have a chance of scoring. A shot can be 35 yards out hitting the corner flag or going in to the upper stand of leppings Lane. Can try them all night but won't score so they're pointless and muddy the water. 

If you dont buy a ticket you wont win the draw.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

If you dont buy a ticket you wont win the draw.

I get that but do we seriously think some of the efforts we have that go on the stats as a shot are going to "win the draw"? 

9 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

These players would suck in any formation. 

Thing is, that’s not true is it?

In 2019, these players had a league record of P46, W19, D15, L12, GF66, GA46.

Those aren’t the types of results you’d get from a group of players that aren’t good enough for this level.

Most years that record (equivalent to 72 points and a GD of +20) will get you about 5th-8th in the Championship.

Since then we’ve added a Premier League striker to our squad.

The drop-off in results since Xmas shouldn't be written off as bad players finding their level.  It’s too much of a capitulation for that theory to make sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Those aren’t the types of results you’d get from a group of players that aren’t good enough for this level.

Most years that record (equivalent to 72 points and a GD of +20) will get you about 5th-8th in the Championship.

The drop-off in results since Xmas shouldn't be written off as bad players finding their level.  It’s too much of a capitulation for that theory to make sense.

Massaging of the truth a bit there but hey ho - Theory and sense, pot, kettle.

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is, that's not true is it?

Not sure what you’re referring to here.

I trust the source of those results stats.

We added a few players in January and lost a few a couple of weeks ago.  But the majority of the squad have remained constant.

27 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Massaging of the truth a bit there but hey ho - Theory and sense, pot, kettle.

What have I posted that’s not true?

Our squad, for whatever reason, has underperformed massively since Xmas.

The facts speak for themselves.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Not sure what you’re referring to here.

I trust the source of those results stats.

We added a few players in January and lost a few a couple of weeks ago.  But the majority of the squad have remained constant.

What have I posted that’s not true?

Our squad, for whatever reason, has underperformed massively since Xmas.

The facts speak for themselves.

So they aren't the same players then?

11 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

How many times were we caught out tonight? I love Borner, and he should have had a goal, but I thought he was far too forward and we were always chasing back. 

We can moan all we want about the disallowed goal, and Stockley that maybe could have been sent off, but caused our own downfall. 

Don’t have the stats to hand, but we must be up there with points lost after scoring first, absolutely ridiculous.

Cant wait for the season to end. 

Monk out, Bullen out.

With 442 we were ripping up the league werent we....

After 3 or 4 games under a new system and players still adapting we arent winning 3-0 every game, who would have thought

54 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

A premier league striker who wasnt playing and who wasnt fit

• Like 1

For me, the formation did work... Until Preston changed it. They brought on all their attacking players, went long and bypassed our 5 (plus Borner who kept pushing) in midfield. 

You could see it a mile off. Except Monk didn’t change formation, just changed players ‘like for like’

Just like when Swansea changed it and we didn’t 

our 3-5-2 is embarrassing. I love the formation, the way United play it, Wolves, England at the World Cup, Chelsea under Conte, but you have to play more than capable players in a few positions. The left and right sided centre backs need to be able to defend centrally (Basham, O'Connell, Boly, Saiss) but we're shoehorning Palmer and Moses into that role, who have never played centre back in their careers. Just play Iorfa, Lees and Borner in the back 3 if you're persisting with it. You also need wing backs who have possible played full back in their career (Baldock, Stevens, Doherty) not Murphy and Harris who are out and out wide attacking players, getting them to defend as wing backs is baffling. So Palmer and Reach could surely play them roles? With Moses coming off the bench

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

A premier league striker who wasnt playing and who wasnt fit

The same lad that at least half the clubs in the Championship were trying to sign on loan in January.

Aye that one.

2 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

So they aren't the same players then?

90% of our squad has remained unchanged since the start of the 2018/19 season.

Or to put it another way, if our players are so rubbish, why were we 3rd in the league at Xmas?

Just now, Westfield Owl said:

The same lad that at least half the clubs in the Championship were trying to sign on loan in January.

Aye that one.

Or to put it another way, if our players are so rubbish, why were we 3rd in the league at Xmas?

Aye that one.

lucky escape for them then, he wasnt fit, playing for another club wouldnt have made him fit overnight.  Perhaps if he had been fit it would be different, but he wasnt and it isnt.

Because we were lucky, we all knew that position was false, we were still playing badly then. Our squad has been stale for 4 years and our midfield is awful. The forwards which were below average at best (bar Fletcher) and now depleted and as a unit far worse.

I bet Monk cant wait for the season to end. If i was him id on holiday and not come back to this institution