GARRY MONK - All Garry Monk posts in this thread please

4 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I never wanted Monk, but the current situation doesn’t mean I was right - my view on Monk was more gut feel than any great footballing insight, no one really knows how these things will play out.

Eeeek. :ohmy:

The elephant in the room when it comes to analysis of football. Chance and circumstance are ever-present major factors, yet for some reason everyone has to pretend that it's all about expertise and perception.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Strange that the goals conceded are now Monks fault whereas previously they were Dawson’s fault....how’s that work then?

I think it’s been a collective thing, amean how many  goals have been conceded in last minutes ? 

5 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

It's time for the return of the Ginger One.

UnlinedElegantHermitcrab-size_restricted.gif.7f48152dd38aa65a751a39c87c50074e.gif1

• Haha 2
47 minutes ago, papalazarowl said:

Unless you have a ready made squad, you have to give any manager the chance to change things, Brighton gave Graham potter a 6 year deal... it's a plan ..long term...  over 2,3,4 transfer windows you get the players you want in, get rid of the dead wood and build a squad to get promoted, consolidate and build. 

Alex Ferguson was 1 game away from getting the sack at Man Ure..... Nicky Butt's goal saved his job, and the rest is history....

Ralph Hassenhuttl.... loses most of his best players, loses 0-9 at home, 90% of people expect him to get the sack or resign.... doesn't happen, now doing a great job (on limited resources)

We might have to wait a season or 2 to get the right players in....... but thats not good enough for some.... "sack Monk".. ....

then we get another manager in that doesnt like Monk's signings/playing style etc. and the merry-go-round starts again....going round and round and round

Well it’s a judgement call isn’t it, there’s merit to getting some stability in the management department and letting someone build something. But at the same time it has to be the right person as you could give someone 5 years and if they don’t have it in them it won’t yield results, and then it’s just 5 years wasted.

So Chansiri needs to make a call on whether Monk can be that man. Personally I don’t think he is due to various factors. If it was just the results but we had a level of performance or style of play and we planned to bring in new players then I could see merit in him staying. 

But so far all I see is a manager who:

- excludes key senior players mid season rather than just working with them until he could either release them or sell them on. Makes no sense to not utilise your resources particularly when they’re clearly better than the replacements on the pitch.

- A manager who makes quite random subs and tactical changes without any visible positive effect.

- A team that consistently loses their heads and concedes late in games. Never known a season like it. And we didn’t have this issue before.. it comes down to defensive shape, working as a team and being positive enough tactically to offer a threat at the other end. The players have some blame here but some of it is management.

- A manager who has never lasted long elsewhere or carried out a rebuild like what’s required here. So we’re asking him to do it for a first time here

- a boring style of play generally, too direct and not that effective. Too many tactical fouls given away in dangerous areas. Think that has to be coming from the manager because we didn’t use to do that and if the players were doing it on their own he should be picking them up

on it.

- then you can add the results on top of that 

Basically I understand some people saying we need a long term manager so give him time, he’s not had his own backroom team etc. But just get the vibe overall that Monk isn’t the right man for this. If we keep him on and let him spend what little budget we have, and then 15 games in next season there’s no improvement he would have to go. And then we’re stuck with those players and another season written off.

We need to make a change 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Can't blame Monk for absolutely everything as we all know, he's had his hands tied etc, HOWEVER i said in another thread changing tactics when we need to pick up points, going to a 3 at the back formation with 9 games or whatever remaining, risky risky stuff when we don't have the players to play that formation. 

He tried 3-5-2 for the first time at Luton with Palmer and FF the wing backs. It failed miserably then when we were battered by the bottom team in the league.

• Like 4

Difficult to defend Monk’s recent points haul, but let’s be honest, DC has royally fizzed this club up. 

Doesn’t matter who’s in charge, the job is unbelievably tough. We’re on a downward trajectory. 

• Like 2

We may have not got the best players in the championship. What we have got is a lot better than what monk is getting from them. 

Will the people saying its not monks fault explain how many points are won in the board room. Does the chairman stick with the same formation after 15 minutes when Preston missed 3 easy chances. How can anyone not see that a 3 man midfield is not working when a team is walking through the middle of us so easily. 

Then we find ourselves 1 nill up and still carries on with tactics that are obviously not working. 

Monk plays 2 wingers who rarely have a chance to cross the ball. Murphy only scored as he had no other option than to run at goal. 

Luhukuay had a much worse team than monk and got more from them. 

Monk has no tactical sense, no way of motivating players and seems oblivious to all the negatives we see. 

Can't even bring myself to watch his post match pressie. More balls of take the positives and didn't deserve result. 

I never normally agree with the sack the manager brigade. Last time was with useless eustace. 

I think monk is as bad if not worse. 

If he had any sense he would resign. If not sack him now. Get Bullen in till end if season and hopefully get a decent manager for next season. Won't be much time so this needs sorting ASAP. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just dont see anything from Monk to suggest he's the man to lead what may well prove to be the biggest and most crucial rebuild in this club's recent history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Eeeek. :ohmy:

The elephant in the room when it comes to analysis of football. Chance and circumstance are ever-present major factors, yet for some reason everyone has to pretend that it's all about expertise and perception.

What a load of codswallop.

2 minutes ago, doubled123456 said:

What a load of codswallop.

Keep up the pretence if you like.

I take it you must clean the bookies out on a regular basis?

1 hour ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

To be fair, I reckon she'd at least realise that Pelupessy was all haircream and no substance.

And Christian horner send him to alpha romeo.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Don’t have an issue with Bullen myself, but we also know DC is loyal to a fault and I’m sure he would value and reward the loyalty Bullen has shown, regardless of if a manager required him or not

DC needs to wise up and and quickly or his club will be in league 1 and worth nothing to what he wants. 

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I just dont see anything from Monk to suggest he's the man to lead what may well prove to be the biggest and most crucial rebuild in this club's recent history.

Neither did Leeds Middlesbrough and Birmingham 

Atrocious manager

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

The bookies don't price everything well.. championship is often mispriced. They always have Leeds down as ridiculously short odds to win when they've won 23 from 41, meaning in almost half of games they don't win. Yet they nearly always have them at much shorter than evens, more like 1.3-1.7. Over the course of the season you could probably make money laying them.

Likewise with Wednesday, tonight they had us as favourites, 2.4 and Preston were at 3s. Anyone who has watched us, and then saw the starting line up with no Wickham, no Lee, Pelupessy and Nuhui starting would know that given our current form the probability of Preston winning was much higher than a third. They should have been favourites for the game

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Do you understand how odds work?

7 hours ago, papalazarowl said:

Unless you have a ready made squad, you have to give any manager the chance to change things, Brighton gave Graham potter a 6 year deal... it's a plan ..long term...  over 2,3,4 transfer windows you get the players you want in, get rid of the dead wood and build a squad to get promoted, consolidate and build. 

Alex Ferguson was 1 game away from getting the sack at Man Ure..... Nicky Butt's goal saved his job, and the rest is history....

Ralph Hassenhuttl.... loses most of his best players, loses 0-9 at home, 90% of people expect him to get the sack or resign.... doesn't happen, now doing a great job (on limited resources)

We might have to wait a season or 2 to get the right players in....... but thats not good enough for some.... "sack Monk".. ....

then we get another manager in that doesnt like Monk's signings/playing style etc. and the merry-go-round starts again....going round and round and round

Mark Robins, not Nicky Butt.