Next Seasons Finances - Are We Actually in a Good Place?

Let's assume we stay up........

P&S is suspended for a year in terms of the three year loss rollover. Our matchday income is one of the highest in the league, we have no parachute payments and our commercial income will also have taken a big hit. So far so bad, but many other clubs will be in the same boat, even the parachutists are already losing money. Revenue for all clubs has been massively reduced but expenditure largely hasn't.

Only the clubs whose owners are willing to fund even bigger losses than ever will be able to keep spending at the pre Covid19 rate. Many clubs will have to actively reduce income by not signing any more players, or if they do, at greatly reduced wages. Many will jump at a chance to get rid of players they can no longer afford.

there will be loads of players available and at cheaper wages than have been the case recently. Seems to me if our chairman really has got access to an unlimited pot of cash, it does put us in a decent position in attracting players in financial terms (if not in being an attractive proposition at the moment). Especially as we have conveniently just got rid of many of our highest earners and need to sign plenty. 

Is this the right reading of the situation though or is there more to it? 

Cue DC will waste it anyway, Monk cant build a team, Hutch was frozen out, Rotherham will take a coach blah blah...

I’ve just had a text from a mate asking if I’d heard anything about Wednesday going into administration ? Probably some weird and wild rumour, don’t really see how we can unless DC has stopped the cash flow .

After the announcement by Wigan I imagined a situation where every Championship club followed suit by going into administration in time for the new transfer window.

Every team then restarts next season debt free as a new company on -12 points thereby nullifying EFL sanctions. All players made redundant and clubs able to recruit on sensible salaries.
Just a slight name change would suffice:- Wigan Wanderers, Charlton Harriers, Nottingham Coppice, Derby Borough, Cardiff Taff, The Wednesday, Barnsley Dingle ( except that last one won’t be in the Championship) etc.

Things like this happen in other industries. Could it happen in football?

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, camffiti said:

We've spent the designated 3 years drifting down FFP creek.

So the EFL are supposed to give us a paddle next season ...

It wouldn't be a good look to spend big, after a points deduction though 

By ‘it wouldn’t look good’ do you mean ‘we definitely shouldn’t spend big in order to avoid further drama down the line... But probably will anyway cause DC doesn’t know what the fek he is doing’?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

By ‘it wouldn’t look good’ do you mean ‘we definitely shouldn’t spend big in order to avoid further drama down the line... But probably will anyway cause DC doesn’t know what the fek he is doing’?

I hope we do spend some money. 

It's going to be pretty dire if we dont.

I'd be happy to stay in the Championship 

What's all the fuss with the PL

Good competitive league is the Championship. If we could build something without the Hollywood spending, and it align more with the community, youngsters and a good honest ethos, I'd be really happy. 

However that's not why people buy football clubs, is it? 

I believe we can still be ambitious, but have it be done in a way that represents good morals. 

Don't want to really believe its all about money, there's good in everything, just often difficult to feel it with football. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Wednesday fan's have got to realise we are not the 'Massive' club they think we are.

That is the 1st thing that has got to happen.

No matter who is the manager next season, Monk or some one else, they will require 2-3 seasons to build a squad good enough to challenge for the good time's.

It is no good living in the past, either long time or short time, it is now that the fan's need to be realistic.

DC has, hopefully, realised that you cannot buy your way into the Promised land, and hope to stay there, it will take time and a plan, allied to the strong will to see it through, take all the crap from the 'Fan's' who still think we are a Top club in the English game.

We will need a pragmatic view of where we are or want to be.

Other wise we will still be stuck in the past.

At 41 I believe that Monk can be the start of that process, just as Len Ashurst was in the 1970's, that led to 20 years of progress,- the 1989-90 season,

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Wednesday fan's have got to realise we are not the 'Massive' club they think we are.

No matter who is the manager next season, Monk or some one else, they will require 2-3 seasons to build a squad good enough to challenge for the good time's.

It is no good living in the past, either long time or short time, it is now that the fan's need to be realistic.

DC has, hopefully, realised that you cannot buy your way into the Promised land, and hope to stay there, it will take time and a plan, allied to the strong will to see it through, take all the crap from the 'Fan's' who still think we are a Top club in the English game.

At 41 I believe that Monk can be the start of that process, just as Len Ashurst was in the 1970's, that led to 20 years of progress,- the 1989-90 season,

yeah but we are still massive

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

I hope we do spend some money. 

It's going to be pretty dire if we dont.

We've spent a shed load and it's been dire for the last 3 years!

What makes you think anything is going to change?

Edited by Utah Owl

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Spot on mate.

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Agree with everything except the Monk bit. 

But I hope you are right.

• Like 1