Nuhiu - Finishing & Contract

Those that don't or have never played will struggle to understand the value of Nuhiu.

If I was CM and we were winning and under the kosh I would be so relieved to see someone like Atdhe about to be subbed on. 

Win the ball back, lump it in Atdhe's vicinity and invariably it will stick to him and allow us to get up the pitch and keep it, allowing our more active players to catch their breath and take off the pressure.

Also got a decent finish on him. Was surprised when he missed that one he took on the chest and dragged past the post yesterday but he can be forgiven for that one

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rossendale Owl said:

Doesn't score goals?  Hat trick against Norwich City, last second equaliser against Fulham (travesty if they'd got 3 points from that game), clincher against Leeds, last second winner against Leeds etc etc, ..... He's not very quick, he's ungainly, but full backs bounce off him and, brought on late he's very effective. I would definitely give him another year.

There you go....7 years of significant goals summed up in 1 sentence....says it all

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Mighty0wls said:

Those that don't or have never played will struggle to understand the value of Nuhiu.

If I was CM and we were winning and under the kosh I would be so relieved to see someone like Atdhe about to be subbed on. 

Win the ball back, lump it in Atdhe's vicinity and invariably it will stick to him and allow us to get up the pitch and keep it, allowing our more active players to catch their breath and take off the pressure.

Also got a decent finish on him. Was surprised when he missed that one he took on the chest and dragged past the post yesterday but he can be forgiven for that one

Thats a myth.

Reality is invariably he will give away a cheap free kick and the opposition are on the front foot.

Thanks for establishing your credentials up front though Barry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

The answer is...why would someone run the risk of replying to you and have even more tedious posts on here...I think people are trying tell you something and it ends in off

You seem to revel is replying without actually saying much....as they say, once you start with the personal stuff its a sure sign youve nothing constructive to say in favour of your point so thank you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

I'll continue to ask this question in the hope of getting an answer one day.

Can you please supply details of the games where he has made a difference to the result of the game by coming on as sub

vs Birmingham 06/02/16: Subbed on in 61st minute when losing 1-0... he assists equaliser and we go on to win 2-1

vs Hull City 12/02/17: Subbed on in 55th minute when losing 1-0... he assists and we eventually draw 2-2

vs Ipswich 22/11/17: Subbed on at 87 minutes and scores to turn 2-1 loss into 2-2 draw

vs Preston 27/04/19: Subbed on in 67th minute when losing 3-1... 3-3 draw after he scores and assists

vs Fulham 21/09/19: Subbed on in 77th minute when losing 1-0... scores equaliser in 93 minute

vs Leeds 11/01/20: Subbed on in 69th minute at 0-0... provides a goal and an assist for a 2-0 win

The above doesn't include times where he has been subbed on and either directly scored or assisted in a game which has subsequently changed the result of that game

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

I'll continue to ask this question in the hope of getting an answer one day.

Can you please supply details of the games where he has made a difference to the result of the game by coming on as sub

Last minute equalizer v Fulham this season

Scored the insurance goal v Leeds this season

And probably a few more that I can't remember. It's not just the goals though is it. It's the fact that he offers something completely different to anyone else we have. Opposition defences can't deal with him late on in a game when they've got tired legs which is why he's better as a sub rather than a starter

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

vs Birmingham 06/02/16: Subbed on in 61st minute when losing 1-0... he assists equaliser and we go on to win 2-1

vs Hull City 12/02/17: Subbed on in 55th minute when losing 1-0... he assists and we eventually draw 2-2

vs Ipswich 22/11/17: Subbed on at 87 minutes and scores to turn 2-1 loss into 2-2 draw

vs Preston 27/04/19: Subbed on in 67th minute when losing 3-1... 3-3 draw after he scores and assists

vs Fulham 21/09/19: Subbed on in 77th minute when losing 1-0... scores equaliser in 93 minute

vs Leeds 11/01/20: Subbed on in 69th minute at 0-0... provides a goal and an assist for a 2-0 win

The above doesn't include times where he has been subbed on and either directly scored or assisted in a game which has subsequently changed the result of that game

So, if we take your response as gospel he has gained us 9 points as a sub in 7 years......look and learn David Fairclough

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr g 1999 said:

And probably a few more that I can't remember. It's not just the goals though is it. It's the fact that he offers something completely different to anyone else we have. Opposition defences can't deal with him late on in a game when they've got tired legs which is why he's better as a sub rather than a starter

His lack of goals and our lack of late goals as a team would seem to indicate that opposition defenders can actually deal with him quite easily

Just now, Ian said:

So, if we take your response as gospel he has gained us 9 points as a sub in 7 years......look and learn David Fairclough

Well... 9 points in 4, I didn't go back any further. 

What would be fascinating is to see if any of our other players have earned that many points in 4 years of substitute appearances. Whodya reckon is in with the best shout of beating him on that front, I'll save you the legwork and look for you... all you have to do is give me one name that will have earned more points from the subs bench in four years than Atdhe. 

2 minutes ago, mr g 1999 said:

"insurance goal".....Christ you're scraping the barrel now

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

You seem to revel is replying without actually saying much....as they say, once you start with the personal stuff its a sure sign youve nothing constructive to say in favour of your point so thank you

I've been quite clear in what I think Nuhiu offers this team and we saw it away at Bristol...under the cosh and he came on a saw the game out...something you never admit happens. Perhaps you have to know a bit about football in that case you're Donald Ducked

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

I appreciate the principle however Nuhiu has contributed to no honours and no undefeated league seasons.....therefore it does become a problem

And just to put some fact in to this about non scoring forwards.

Nuhiu has scored 48 in 7 seasons....one of which he got double figures

In his first 7 seaons at Arsenal Bergkamp scored 97 including 6 seasons in double figures

The comparison is laughable

If our strikers are now being judged by major honours that is a very big problem for every single one of them since 1935 except David Hirst and Paul Williams, who had one each.

It is entirely apparent why you insist this is a direct comparison between the two players. What could be easier than such a gigantic straw man? As if it need pointing out, they are different players at entirely different levels. It is however an example of why judging forwards by goals scored alone and without context should be reserved for rosey-cheeked children and fools who think Forestieri was better than Waddle and Di Canio.

As emphasised in my original post, how Bergkamp started his career at Arsenal is not the pertinent point in this regard. How he ended it is. In his last 7 seasons he had 192+76 appearances for a below mediocre 52 goals, considerably worse than Nuhiu's strike rate. Again, and for the benefit of imbeciles, this is not a comparison of the player's respective talents, only the limitations of such simple-minded reliance on goals scored statistics in isolation.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

If our strikers are now being judged by major honours that is a very big problem for every single one of them since 1935 except David Hirst and Paul Williams, who had one each.

It is entirely apparent why you insist this is a direct comparison between the two players. What could be easier than such a gigantic straw man? As if it need pointing out, they are different players at entirely different levels. It is however an example of why judging forwards by goals scored alone and without context should be reserved for rosey-cheeked children and fools who think Forestieri was better than Waddle and Di Canio.

As emphasised in my original post, how Bergkamp started his career at Arsenal is not the pertinent point in this regard. How he ended it is. In his last 7 seasons he had 192+76 appearances for a below mediocre 52 goals, considerably worse than Nuhiu's strike rate. Again, and for the benefit of imbeciles, this is not a comparison of the player's respective talents, only the limitations of such simple-minded reliance on goals scored statistics in isolation.

Lets see where he ends up next season shall we......ideal time for all those who rate him who have decided the only reason those who don't is because they don't understand football, to be proved right

The guy can barely run.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Ian said:

Lets see where he ends up next season shall we......ideal time for all those who rate him who have decided the only reason those who don't is because they don't understand football, to be proved right

The guy can barely run.

I don't recall ever suggesting that he was anything other than a reasonable option at this level as part of a squad's rotation; as we have been using him. He certainly hasn't merited the degree of criticism he's had on here. A club in similar circumstances to us could be interested, but some have suggested he wants to return to the continent (no idea if that's true or not).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ian said:

"insurance goal".....Christ you're scraping the barrel now

Did you see the game?  They were all over us until we bought something different on with Nuhiu. He also got the assist for the 1st goal with a great through ball. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Whilst I'm not sure if the numbers add up as I'm not privy to his transfer fee or salary for instance, the logic is perfectly clear. The cost of a player is spread equally across the length of his contract when it comes to the P&S considerations. So for a 4 year deal we are due to pay Middlesbrough a quarter of the fee each year. But if we were to sell him, his contract expires at that point and we are therefore due to pay the outstanding amount in one lump sum. For someone as expensive as Rhodes, that could be quite a difference.

I'd still be getting the calculator out if I was the chief exec ( do we still have one?)

We are getting absolutely nothing from Rhodes, so even if we save less than £100k overall,  it would be worth it.

As the poster earlier on stated, we could and should have given him to Norwich ..I couldn't believe posters at the time were saying we needed money for him..and made the rest of it work. If it was giving him to Norwich for nowt and then paying Middlesbrough a £1 million fee, we still would have saved money overall. As I say we are getting nothing and will get nothing from Rhodes so as soon as he's out the door, the better.

Compare and contrast with Atdhe Nuhui; a better player individually and for the team, and not strangling us financially.  

Edited by Bannofan
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I'd still be getting the calculator out if I was the chief exec ( do we still have one?)

We are getting absolutely nothing from Rhodes, so even if we save less than £100k overall,  it would be worth it.

As the poster earlier on stated, we could and should have given him to Norwich ..I couldn't believe posters at the time were saying we needed money for him..and made the rest of it work. If it was giving him to Norwich for nowt and then paying Middlesbrough a £1 million fee, we still would have saved money overall. As I say we are getting nothing and will get nothing from Rhodes so as soon as he's out the door, the better.

Compare and contrast with Atdhe Nuhui; a better player individually and for the team, and not strangling us financially.  

I agree absolutely. But without knowing the figures it's difficult to know how far away we were from a practical deal. 

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
20 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

One of those players that when he's gone we'll all miss him.

Said it before, if he ever came back to Hillsborough with another team, he would get a tremendous reception.

Says it all.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Didn’t he get the winner in injury time against Rotherham in the league cup this season as well?