Nuhiu - Finishing & Contract

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, Blatter said:

DC explained the reason for that and it does make sense.

Giving Rhodes to Norwich on a free transfer would have saved the club his wages. The balance of his transfer fee, which was greater than his annual wage, would then be due to Middlesbrough immediately. 

I’m sure the only thing that DC regrets is shelling out so much to bring Rhodes to Hillsborough in the first place. At a very rough estimate it’s cost him £15million over four years for very little in return.

I’ve seen this sort of explanation b4..I just can’t get my head round how keeping JR for the last 2 years of his contract as somehow saved us money..🤔

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

I’ve seen this sort of explanation b4..I just can’t get my head round how keeping JR for the last 2 years of his contract as somehow saved us money..🤔

It helps us in an accounting sense, it doesn’t save money.

Guest Therealrealist
Just now, McRightSide said:

It helps us in an accounting sense, it doesn’t save money.

I don’t care..we shud have let Norwich take him off our hands..we keep him and keep paying him a kings ransome..and I’m sure we will still have to pay what we owe boro

Just now, Therealrealist said:

Whilst I'm not sure if the numbers add up as I'm not privy to his transfer fee or salary for instance, the logic is perfectly clear. The cost of a player is spread equally across the length of his contract when it comes to the P&S considerations. So for a 4 year deal we are due to pay Middlesbrough a quarter of the fee each year. But if we were to sell him, his contract expires at that point and we are therefore due to pay the outstanding amount in one lump sum. For someone as expensive as Rhodes, that could be quite a difference.

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Whilst I'm not sure if the numbers add up as I'm not privy to his transfer fee or salary for instance, the logic is perfectly clear. The cost of a player is spread equally across the length of his contract when it comes to the P&S considerations. So for a 4 year deal we are due to pay Middlesbrough a quarter of the fee each year. But if we were to sell him, his contract expires at that point and we are therefore due to pay the outstanding amount in one lump sum. For someone as expensive as Rhodes, that could be quite a difference.

I’m not buyin it

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

After 40 starts in the last 3 seasons you can hardly blame him.

Especially with a 1 in 2 goal : starts goal scoring record during that time

I hope you aren’t cooking the books with that stat and not including the goals he has scored as sub?

17 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He’s a middle of the road champ player but that’s where we are now. We could try and get better for less and the chances are we will fail at that. 

This, were not going to be able to get better.

People need to start thinking long term. Not this season next. Should we stay up this year we will be battling relegation next year. No money not much wages zero personalities and IMO no direction as a club from board to manager.

Signing Nuhiu up for another year is a no brainer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

42 of those appearances have been off the bench, which is significant mitigation in those statistics. 

I've always found judging strikers solely by goals scored, without any other context or analysis, as something I'd expect from 12 year old boys. The best example is Dennis Bergkamp at Arsenal. Apart from his first couple of seasons his record was actually quite poor in that regard.

No one measures defenders by these kinds of figures as it's well appreciated that keeping the ball out of the net is a team effort. Yet at the other end we have so glamourised individual statistics that the same standard is not applied. Our lack of goals is a collective effort and it's not good enough just pointing at one or two and saying it's all their fault.

You know what’s coming next don’t you?

Comparing Nuhiu to Dennis Bergkamp!......Only on Owlstalk

• Haha 1

Just now, Ian said:

You know what’s coming next don’t you?

Comparing Nuhiu to Dennis Bergkamp!......Only on Owlstalk

I keep doing it precisely for that reason.

Although I'm sure you appreciate the principle. Bergkamp was obviously a great forward (Arsenal fans voted him their second best ever player for what that's worth), but his scoring record in isolation is pretty bad for them during his last few seasons. But despite that he helped them to several major honours, including an undefeated league season, so I'd suggest it was not a major problem.

6 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

I’m not buyin it

Of course it's not going to save us money long term on Jordan Rhodes. How can it. We still have to pay two years worth of wages for him. All that does is helps us out short term with FFP.

Best impact sub we have IMO. He's such a unique player which a lot of opposition defences don't know how to handle. 

I'd be happy if he signed a new contract.  Wouldn't want to let him go for free and certainly wouldn't want him playing in a team against us next season. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr g 1999 said:

Best impact sub we have IMO. He's such a unique player which a lot of opposition defences don't know how to handle. 

I'd be happy if he signed a new contract.  Wouldn't want to let him go for free and certainly wouldn't want him playing in a team against us next season. 

I'll continue to ask this question in the hope of getting an answer one day.

Can you please supply details of the games where he has made a difference to the result of the game by coming on as sub

16 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

Sorry but he is crap. 

Seen enough 'strikers' at Wednesday who don't score goals to last me a lifetime.

Bye Nuhiu. 

Doesn't score goals?  Hat trick against Norwich City, last second equaliser against Fulham (travesty if they'd got 3 points from that game), clincher against Leeds, last second winner against Leeds etc etc, ..... He's not very quick, he's ungainly, but full backs bounce off him and, brought on late he's very effective. I would definitely give him another year.

• Thanks 1

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Can you please supply details of the games where he has made a difference to the result of the game by coming on as sub

Yday..we lost 2-1 instead of 2-0

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I keep doing it precisely for that reason.

Although I'm sure you appreciate the principle. Bergkamp was obviously a great forward (Arsenal fans voted him their second best ever player for what that's worth), but his scoring record in isolation is pretty bad for them during his last few seasons. But despite that he helped them to several major honours, including an undefeated league season, so I'd suggest it was not a major problem.

I appreciate the principle however Nuhiu has contributed to no honours and no undefeated league seasons.....therefore it does become a problem

And just to put some fact in to this about non scoring forwards.

Nuhiu has scored 48 in 7 seasons....one of which he got double figures

In his first 7 seaons at Arsenal Bergkamp scored 97 including 6 seasons in double figures

The comparison is laughable

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

The answer is...why would someone run the risk of replying to you and have even more tedious posts on here...I think people are trying tell you something and it ends in off