Nuhiu - Finishing & Contract

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

I’d rather keep Nuhui and sell Rhodes. He’s a good option to have on the bench and we won’t have long enough to sign 4 or 5 new forwards before the new season starts 

It’s simply impossible to sell Rhodes...our best bet wer to give him away to Norwich last year..but dc scuppered it apparently..wonder if he regrets it or is simply not bothered..what must he think every time he looks at Westwood and Rhodes wages every month?

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I think I’ve posted this on here before, but it really is quite impressive how much Nuhiu’s finishing has improved over the last 3-4 years.

If he gets on the ball in and around the 6 yards back he’s often pretty clinical. I’d be interested to see his strike rate.

We need to get him chances on a more regular basis rather than him spending so much time grafting and wrestling in the channels.

Based on that, plus the fact he’s always available, always makes an impact when he plays and probably isn’t that expensive I wouldn’t have any qualms giving him a new deal, especially when you consider it’s going to be frees and loans at best.

good impact player - keep him

• Like 2

Three year contract & club captain.

In a game now dominated by money and billy big rounduns players like Hutchinson,  Atdhe is a breath of fresh air.

Great attitude,  appreciated by all his team mates,  respected by the opposition,  selected by every manager he's played for here. 

When his career is over , get him on the coaching staff.

Obviously most will laugh at this, but for me he is no different from Semedo and everyone loves him. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

He's always been a threat in and around the penalty spot.

That’s as may be but the fact is that more often than not, when the ball arrives in and around the penalty spot Nuhiu is no where to be seen......no major desire to get there, no tactical nouse and most of all, not athletic enough

on the odd occasion he his in the right place he has undoubtably improved but being there 3 or 4 times a season just doesn’t cut it

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

That’s as may be but the fact is that more often than not, when the ball arrives in and around the penalty spot Nuhiu is no where to be seen......no major desire to get there, no tactical nouse and most of all, not athletic enough

on the odd occasion he his in the right place he has undoubtably improved but being there 3 or 4 times a season just doesn’t cut it

... but this is where your lack of appreciation for a centre-forward clouds your judgement Ian. A centre-forward can’t always be on the shoulder of the last defender because his game is to drop deep and bring in other players; it’s a striker’s job to be on the shoulder of the last defender.  Not being in the area has nothing to do with Nuhiu’s lack of “tactical nouse” it’s more to do with the fact that he’s just been involved in the play outside the penalty area. Bring in another centre-forward and he’ll be the same. Connor Wickham for example, is he always on the shoulder of the last defender? No. Was he in the box for every cross put in there? No, he wasn’t. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

It’s simply impossible to sell Rhodes...our best bet wer to give him away to Norwich last year..but dc scuppered it apparently..wonder if he regrets it or is simply not bothered..what must he think every time he looks at Westwood and Rhodes wages every month?

DC explained the reason for that and it does make sense.

Giving Rhodes to Norwich on a free transfer would have saved the club his wages. The balance of his transfer fee, which was greater than his annual wage, would then be due to Middlesbrough immediately. 

I’m sure the only thing that DC regrets is shelling out so much to bring Rhodes to Hillsborough in the first place. At a very rough estimate it’s cost him £15million over four years for very little in return.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shandypants said:

... but this is where your lack of appreciation for a centre-forward clouds your judgement Ian. A centre-forward can’t always be on the shoulder of the last defender because his game is to drop deep and bring in other players; it’s a striker’s job to be on the shoulder of the last defender.  Not being in the area has nothing to do with Nuhiu’s lack of “tactical nouse” it’s more to do with the fact that he’s just been involved in the play outside the penalty area. Bring in another centre-forward and he’ll be the same. Connor Wickham for example, is he always on the shoulder of the last defender? No. Was he in the box for every cross put in there? No, he wasn’t. 

Anyone trying to make a case for centre forwards and strikers being different is skating in this ice.....but if you want to use that then go and ask Malcolm Macdonald, Frank Stapleton etc which they were and if you’d ever find them hanging around in the centre circle when a cross came over....Hirsty even.

you decline to address the issue that whilst I appreciate a forward may drop deep at times, any one worth their salt will then have the athleticism and desire to get in the box and finish what they started.

Nuhiu, unfortunately, has neither 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I think I’ve posted this on here before, but it really is quite impressive how much Nuhiu’s finishing has improved over the last 3-4 years.

If he gets on the ball in and around the 6 yards back he’s often pretty clinical. I’d be interested to see his strike rate.

We need to get him chances on a more regular basis rather than him spending so much time grafting and wrestling in the channels.

Based on that, plus the fact he’s always available, always makes an impact when he plays and probably isn’t that expensive I wouldn’t have any qualms giving him a new deal, especially when you consider it’s going to be frees and loans at best.

Have I entered a parallel  universe or something

Atty Nuihu 

2018/19  34 games - 4 goals

2019/20  33 games - 4 goals 

I stand corrected he has got to 4 goals for the season 1 game earlier.:duntmatter: If he played the full 46 games he might get 5.

Edited by room0035
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with Nuhiu has never been his finishing.

I mean, I know that's obvious but apparently it needs saying.

Of course he misses easy chances. Strikers do. The problem has been that he doesn't get into threatening positions often enough. Lacks pace. Not always great decision making.

All the same he has done well for us. Way above reasonable expectations for a player from the Austrian League. Way above.

Is he a player to play a prominent part in a championship promotion campaign. Not really. See above. He was a bargain basement signing from the Austrian League.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

The problem with Nuhiu has never been his finishing.

I mean, I know that's obvious but apparently it needs saying.

Of course he misses easy chances. Strikers do. The problem has been that he doesn't get into threatening positions often enough. Lacks pace. Not always great decision making.

All the same he has done well for us. Way above reasonable expectations for a player from the Austrian League. Way above.

Is he a player to play a prominent part in a championship promotion campaign. Not really. See above. He was a bargain basement signing from the Austrian League.

His finishing was much much worse in his first few years

29 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Atty Nuihu 

I stand corrected he has got to 4 goals for the season 1 game earlier.:duntmatter: If he played the full 46 games he might get 5.

I mean...that’s just an agenda riddled post.

For balance you have to also show:

how many starts:

% minutes played: 

34%

assists: 

3 (level with Harris (most appearances btw) and Murphy - our two primary creative outlets)

So by all means you should have your opinion on his usefulness now and in the future, but to not give the full picture is just a bit shitty really

Edited by McRightSide

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Atty Nuihu 

42 of those appearances have been off the bench, which is significant mitigation in those statistics. 

I've always found judging strikers solely by goals scored, without any other context or analysis, as something I'd expect from 12 year old boys. The best example is Dennis Bergkamp at Arsenal. Apart from his first couple of seasons his record was actually quite poor in that regard.

No one measures defenders by these kinds of figures as it's well appreciated that keeping the ball out of the net is a team effort. Yet at the other end we have so glamourised individual statistics that the same standard is not applied. Our lack of goals is a collective effort and it's not good enough just pointing at one or two and saying it's all their fault.

Just now, McRightSide said:

After 40 starts in the last 3 seasons you can hardly blame him.

Especially with a 1 in 2 goal : starts goal scoring record during that time

He is up there with the worst Centre Forwards I have ever seen at our club. He makes Colin West look like Gary Linker