Championship Salary Cap

We can always pick out the odd example to ridiculously skew a debate

Do you think it was worth Watford's while paying him £30k pw when he was their best and most influential player as they got promoted?

That is the risk of signing players - some times they just don't work out and we have had quite a few of those

What i'm talking about is the lunacy of spending way more on the academy than on the first team

Which would be the case for many clubs if they could only spend season ticket money on the first team and everything else on the academy

An academy system that is notoriously unproductive bar a handful of clubs

1 hour ago, scram said:

We can always pick out the odd example to ridiculously skew a debate

Do you think it was worth Watford's while paying him £30k pw when he was their best and most influential player as they got promoted?

That is the risk of signing players - some times they just don't work out and we have had quite a few of those

What i'm talking about is the lunacy of spending way more on the academy than on the first team

Which would be the case for many clubs if they could only spend season ticket money on the first team and everything else on the academy

An academy system that is notoriously unproductive bar a handful of clubs

Academy spend should also be controlled, again stopping clubs effectively cheating by hoovering up the best of the young talent.

At the risk of ridiculously skewing the debate, I'll  throw in the example of Chelsea who for years have had 90 odd pros on their books, half of them nowhere near the first team loaned out to other clubs but all contracted to Chelsea.....how is that fair?

Chelsea are one of the few profitable academies

A few other clubs have a sizable number of academy players to rival Chelsea. 

Man City,  man u, Liverpool  spurs 

If they can make the investment to make the model work then surely it is fair

22 hours ago, scram said:

I'd imagine that relegation clauses would have to be written into contracts that would reduce the wage bill to the value of the salary cap below?

Might seem a bit drastic but not as drastic as the current shitshow that football has become with most clubs spending more on wages than they get in income

That could also be used as a means to scrapping parachute payments. 

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

At the risk of ridiculously skewing the debate, I'll  throw in the example of Chelsea who for years have had 90 odd pros on their books, half of them nowhere near the first team loaned out to other clubs but all contracted to Chelsea.....how is that fair?

How is an EFL salary cap going to stop that happening with teams like Chelsea, Manchester City etc.

Guest Bulgaria

The NFL seem to have it about right.  Although the New England Patriots have kinda dominated, each year it sees different teams doing well. I believe there is a salary cap of some sort and a draft system that benefits the previous seasons bottom team.

48 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

How is an EFL salary cap going to stop that happening with teams like Chelsea, Manchester City etc.

Its an example.  However salary caps need to happen right across the football pyramid not just in the EFL. The current situation is designed to perpetuate the rich clubs getting richer with very little trickle down to the lower leagues.

• Like 1

You guys do realise that 80% of our revenue would be debilitating for clubs who do not generate gross revenue? Turkeys voting for X-mas. The squad will get worse and worse and the season ticket prices will be apocalyptic. It won't help matters at all it will lead to mini leagues like the premier league and ours would be firmly in the lower - middle of the table indefinitely.

Edited by TrueOwl

9 minutes ago, Plonk said:

There does seem to be considerable merit in this. Just out of interest how much income do we generate each year. 

2.5m net profit. Aren't we financial sustainable? Can't wait to see next years.

image.thumb.png.91cf3d1e81ac2671c5947f08eba40ef3.png

On 03/07/2020 at 20:06, kirksandallowl said:

I understand that the EFL/Championship are currently looking at bringing in a salary cap possibly for as early as next season. 

I believe the model being considered is each club would name a 25 man squad similar to the premier league, the maximum allowable salary for the who squad will be £18m, ie an average of £720,000 per player. Obviously you can pay certain players more but then others need to be paid less to compensate. 

Not saying it will definitely happen but it is 100% under consideration. 

what are people’s thoughts?

About time although £18m is still a lot. 

I think we could expect to see new loopholes open though like sponsored players etc.