Championship Salary Cap

I understand that the EFL/Championship are currently looking at bringing in a salary cap possibly for as early as next season. 

I believe the model being considered is each club would name a 25 man squad similar to the premier league, the maximum allowable salary for the who squad will be £18m, ie an average of £720,000 per player. Obviously you can pay certain players more but then others need to be paid less to compensate. 

Not saying it will definitely happen but it is 100% under consideration. 

what are people’s thoughts?

• Like 3

I think clubs will make up the difference in signing bonuses, or end up with 20 first team coaches (like the Rooney deal). 

I like the idea of a salary cap in principle, but dont trust EFL to devise and implement. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

What would happen with clubs relegated from the PL? It would only work if the EFL could introduce a fair way of integrating them into the league.

I'd imagine that relegation clauses would have to be written into contracts that would reduce the wage bill to the value of the salary cap below?

Might seem a bit drastic but not as drastic as the current shitshow that football has become with most clubs spending more on wages than they get in income

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

I think clubs will make up the difference in signing bonuses, or end up with 20 first team coaches (like the Rooney deal). 

I like the idea of a salary cap in principle, but dont trust EFL to devise and implement. 

The clubs are involved in the discussions, so not just down to the EFL. 

1 minute ago, scram said:

I'd imagine that relegation clauses would have to be written into contracts that would reduce the wage bill to the value of the salary cap below?

Might seem a bit drastic but not as drastic as the current shitshow that football has become with most clubs spending more on wages than they get in income

But wouldn’t that be something that would have to ratified by the PL wouldn’t it? They could put relegation clauses into all PL players contracts tomoro & stop the need for parachute payments but they don’t.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Relegation clauses should be have mandatory in Premier league contracts a decade ago, which would have stopped the need  for  failure payments. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kirksandallowl said:

The clubs are involved in the discussions, so not just down to the EFL. 

The clubs also had input in FFP, then P&S and look how that turned out. 

I admit I dont hide my dislike of EFL, but as the ones required to manage regulations and governance, wouldn't trust them to organise a ******** up in a brewery (from tomorrow obviously when Boris says they can open again :ph34r:)

4 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

But wouldn’t that be something that would have to ratified by the PL wouldn’t it? They could put relegation clauses into all PL players contracts tomoro & stop the need for parachute payments but they don’t.

I think just about every PL club outside the top 6 have relegation clauses in their contracts

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

So why the failure payments? 

Because even if players lose a set amount of money by being relegated the PL contracts are generally so vast that the wage burden is still high

It's also relatively recent - i think clubs like Villa never expected to get relegated so probably weren't thought necessary then

I understand (though not necessarily agree with) parachute payments and it has levelled the field somewhat in the PL

But it has created a glass ceiling in the champs - the law of unintended consequences and all that

I hate saying this but over the last couple of years football has become so obscene i do think we need to start seeing clubs going under

Football desperately needs rebooting on a sensible and sustainable footing

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Fixed for the league regardless of revenue stream. Only way to make it a fair competition.

It depends what you regard as fair I suppose.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with a club being able to pay more if it was affordable.

It's a start, but 18 million is too much for 2nd tier football. Should be 12.5 million, average of 500k each. That's still about 15 times the average wage for a working man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m all in favour of a salary cap in football, but the problems on the championship are a product of the PL teams wanting their cake and eating it, resulting in virtually all championship clubs living beyond their means. Those issues need to be sorted out at the top of the game before anyone takes on the championship or the gap between the two leagues will increase and owners will come up with more and more elaborate ways to gain an advantage. 

• Like 2