Farewell to Preslav Borukov

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Another great tip from the Owlstalk youth development experts

Most on here (myself included) said that although he was very physically developed for player of his age and despite him working very hard the pitch he didn't look likely to make it at this level.

Can't recall many posters saying that he looks like a future Wednesday No 9.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, malek said:

Most on here (myself included) said that although he was very physically developed for player of his age and despite him working very hard the pitch he didn't look likely to make it at this level.

physical size is the big kick in the crackers all clubs stumble into. 

a colleague of mine runs (something like) an under 8's team, and he says continually the bigger players are sought, whilst the scouts ask who are his parents to see how big they are too?.

the only exception was the man city scout who was interested in 'some' of the smaller more skilled players also.

when asked by the l**ds scout 'had any other scouts been?', he told him, and added 'man city', and the l**ds scout asked 'who he was interested in?' when i added the smaller built players to the usual names, he went white, and said 'i'll have their names too i guess'.  

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

a colleague of mine runs (something like) an under 8's team, and he says continually the bigger players are sought, whilst the scouts ask who are his parents to see how big they are too?.

the only exception was the man city scout who was interested in 'some' of the smaller more skilled players also.

when asked by the l**ds scout 'had any other scouts been?', he told him, and added 'man city', and the l**ds scout asked 'who he was interested in?' when i added the smaller built players to the usual names, he went white, and said 'i'll have their names too i guess'.  

Watch my great nephew play at under eight level and if the opposing team look bigger, then I fear the worse. 

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Watch my great nephew play at under eight level and if the opposing team look bigger, then I fear the worse. 

the only time i fear 'the worse' is when i hear the parents, mourinho's and guardiola's all of them. 

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

I believe it is something that is left over in England since older days when most teams played long balls and you had zillion aerial duels a game.

This days most modern scouts and coaches don't care a lot if their central midfielder will be 5'6'' or 6'5'' tall.

Unfortunately many academies still go for big, strong kid

I think part of the problem is that coaches want to create teams and win games - the more forward think academies look for other attributes such as technique

Players can be worked with to develop - unfortunately due to the nature of the modern game there will be physical thresholds that players will have to adhere to or they will not be able to influence the game

I saw a stat recently that across academy football 90% of the players were quartile 1 (Sept - Nov birthdays) - while in the premier league the birth dates of the players are pretty much equally spread between all 4 quartiles

There are a couple more reasons why the attrition rate is too high - firstly nobody can spot a potential start at 7-8 years old. I would do away with the pre-academy and foundation phases altogether - let the kids play grass roots with their mates and focus on technique and game awareness

Secondly i think clubs should start their academies at u12 and all players given 4 year contracts

That would help clubs to focus much more keenly on recruitment and also means it is in the interest of academies to work with players on development

Lastly it would help prevent the revolving door of recruiting then releasing players

If there was to be an audit of academy football then i reckon the vast majority do not cover their own costs - only a select handful are profitable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scram said:

I think part of the problem is that coaches want to create teams and win games - the more forward think academies look for other attributes such as technique

Players can be worked with to develop - unfortunately due to the nature of the modern game there will be physical thresholds that players will have to adhere to or they will not be able to influence the game

I saw a stat recently that across academy football 90% of the players were quartile 1 (Sept - Nov birthdays) - while in the premier league the birth dates of the players are pretty much equally spread between all 4 quartiles

There are a couple more reasons why the attrition rate is too high - firstly nobody can spot a potential start at 7-8 years old. I would do away with the pre-academy and foundation phases altogether - let the kids play grass roots with their mates and focus on technique and game awareness

Secondly i think clubs should start their academies at u12 and all players given 4 year contracts

That would help clubs to focus much more keenly on recruitment and also means it is in the interest of academies to work with players on development

Lastly it would help prevent the revolving door of recruiting then releasing players

If there was to be an audit of academy football then i reckon the vast majority do not cover their own costs - only a select handful are profitable

There is a chapter about this in the book 'freakonomics'

1 hour ago, scram said:

Learned summat there ...never heard of quartiles....why is Sept-Nov number 1?

1 hour ago, scram said:

WOW! just WOW!

6 minutes ago, Themagiccap said:

Should we look at the Brentford model and scrap the U18 and U23 teams and instead have a B-team of younger players U21 and bring kids through that way

anybody know enough to know the mix at brentford?

how many come through to be first team players?

how many come through to be stars? 

how many are good sales?

how many of their team are brought in?, bought in?

how many are 'found' in london's parks football? qpr (for me) always had some big black lads they'd discovered locally.

4 hours ago, malek said:

True.

You all thought he looked ready to be a current Wednesday No. 9

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How can I find these stats?

I try and keep tabs by Twitter and John O'Brien on here but also Youthhawk has decent stuff. It's not always reliable and they have him with more goals than my records but still not great. I have 3 goals. Often hasn't started but always fit and on the bench.  Last season he didn't score at all until the last game in April when he got a double

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/Sheffield_Wednesday_Under-23s

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/Sheffield_Wednesday_Under-23s_2018-19

Edited by Etchesketch