Supply to the strikers

On 03/07/2020 at 08:12, fingyfop said:

If you switch it to offensive you can see the "unusual touches per game" or "UnsTch" statistic

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25/Show/England-Sheffield-Wednesday

Although those numbers for average unusual touches per game seem far too low to me, and has Fletcher as one of the worst but may just due to him being more involved, so I don't know if they have the methodology explained anywhere.

I guess the statistic you'd really want would be "average bad touches per ball received, in a position where they are favourite to retain possession"

As well as "average times managed to retain possession when not favourite to", but there is a large part of human judgement on both of those statistics, I guess it's the sort of statistic clubs sort out themselves or pay an outside company to do, as it gets into more tactical judgement in some cases than being purely statistical.

Unusual touches per game sounds like something Adthe Nuhiu would be world class at.

I've never been convinced that football lends itself to this kind of statistical overkill very well in the same way as American sports do. Even some of those used regularly like possession, corners and pass completions don't really tell you anything about the balance of play or level of performance.

Let's say purely randomly that we were able to find out Wickham averages 16 touches per game in the final third, Fletcher 15, Winnall 14, Rhodes 13 and Nuhiu 12. What would that actually say about how good any of them are or how effective they are with the chances presented to them?

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I've never been convinced that football lends itself to this kind of statistical overkill very well in the same way as American sports do. Even some of those used regularly like possession, corners and pass completions don't really tell you anything about the balance of play or level of performance.

Let's say purely randomly that we were able to find out Wickham averages 16 touches per game in the final third, Fletcher 15, Winnall 14, Rhodes 13 and Nuhiu 12. What would that actually say about how good any of them are or how effective they are with the chances presented to them?

Again I'm not looking at that

What I"m purely looking at is how many times the strikers are actually given the ball to play with/try to do something with

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, yeadonowl said:

You can look at whatever stats you want but when we have Murphy and Harris out wide and Bannan, Lee and Luongo in the middle, we create very very little

In the 3 games so far we haven’t scored from open play yet 

This is why I'm keen to see the stats

So many people slating Rhodes, Nuhiu, Da Cruz etc but I want to see the facts of exactly how much they've actually seen of the ball

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

You can look at whatever stats you want but when we have Murphy and Harris out wide and Bannan, Lee and Luongo in the middle, we create very very little

In the 3 games so far we haven’t scored from open play yet 

Thats down to the strikers to make themselves available in the box, they need to work harder.  The ball is certainly getting into the box enough times.