Supply to the strikers

Can anyone help clear this one up for me?

Is there a quick, clear and easy way to find out how many times the Strikers have been given the ball over the last few games?

What I'm trying to get at is whether or not our strikers have actually received the ball successfully from our wingers or midfielders or not

Does anyone know who might have these stats?

Owlstalk Shop

I don't know, maybe somebody will have to sit and watch the videos and do a count up.

And then to check if the number is above or below average, they'll have to do the same for every game played by every Championship team this season! 

If you switch it to offensive you can see the "unusual touches per game" or "UnsTch" statistic

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25/Show/England-Sheffield-Wednesday

Although those numbers for average unusual touches per game seem far too low to me, and has Fletcher as one of the worst but may just due to him being more involved, so I don't know if they have the methodology explained anywhere.

I guess the statistic you'd really want would be "average bad touches per ball received, in a position where they are favourite to retain possession"

As well as "average times managed to retain possession when not favourite to", but there is a large part of human judgement on both of those statistics, I guess it's the sort of statistic clubs sort out themselves or pay an outside company to do, as it gets into more tactical judgement in some cases than being purely statistical.

Just now, fingyfop said:

If you switch it to offensive you can see the "unusual touches per game" or "UnsTch" statistic

Although those numbers for average unusual touches per game seem far too low to me, and has Fletcher as one of the worst but may just due to him being more involved, so I don't know if they have the methodology explained anywhere.

I guess the statistic you'd really want would be "average bad touches per ball received, in a position where they are favourite to retain possession"

As well as "average times managed to retain possession when not favourite to", but there is a large part of human judgement on both of those statistics, I guess it's the sort of statistic clubs sort out themselves or pay an outside company to do, as it gets into more tactical judgement in some cases than being purely statistical.

Thanks mate

I'm not bothered if the strikers fluff it when they get the ball or anything, I am just curious to see how many times they actually got given the ball over the last few games

Reason being people are saying Rhodes, Nuhiu etc are pants and did nothing. I just want to see the facts behind it whether or not they actually got passed/crossed to and given the chance etc

Owlstalk Shop

Well I was the one arguing about Rhodes haha so I did look for that too, you probably saw the thing I found was the touch map, but I'd agree that isn't a good enough statistic to prove anything, I think to be able to assess those things properly it really needs to assessed directly from match footage, but that's obviously very time consuming and becomes more of a subjective situation, I guess that whats the Managers and coaches discuss with the analysts.

There must be all sort of statistics we could never even imagine that the top clubs like City are tracking these days, would be interested to see how deep they go with it all.

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Can anyone help clear this one up for me?

Is there a quick, clear and easy way to find out how many times the Strikers have been given the ball over the last few games?

What I'm trying to get at is whether or not our strikers have actually received the ball successfully from our wingers or midfielders or not

Does anyone know who might have these stats?

This article from The Star of all places may help you

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/attacking-sheffield-wednesday-how-numbers-stack-against-their-championship-rivals-2844224

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Thank you

I'm not looking at the strikers performances or shots on goal though mate

I'm trying to find out how many times they were passed to or given the ball

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thank you

I'm not looking at the strikers performances or shots on goal though mate

I'm trying to find out how many times they were passed to or given the ball

Even then you’d want to know where they got it. On Wednesday Rhodes was getting the ball near our halfway line mostly.

I think we would find Murphy is feeding us more than Harris since the restart, Harris isn’t getting the ball over at all. Bannan probably delivers more than Harris too. 

21 hours ago, fingyfop said:

As well as "average times managed to retain possession when not favourite

Good site. For me the assits tell a big part of the story of successful crosss. Kadim and Murphy arn't even up their at the top of the SWFC assist table.

Bannan and Reach are way out ahead on assits this season.

3-5-2 with Reach and Bannan as wing backs anyone?

garymegson

image.png.444896ed22e3653b5c82295f019f0654.png

1 hour ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Good site. For me the assits tell a big part of the story of successful crosss. Kadim and Murphy arn't even up their at the top of the SWFC assist table.

Bannan and Reach are way out ahead on assits this season.

3-5-2 with Reach and Bannan as wing backs anyone?

garymegson

image.png.444896ed22e3653b5c82295f019f0654.png

Would like to see Reach given a go at wing back (on the left!), he had some decent performances when he first moved into the centre but it's a long time ago now.

His crossing off his left is very good for this level but he's barely played there, with 2 strikers he should have a decent amount to aim for and Wickhams looking a handful.

Reach was always at his best with space to break into which a wing back gets plenty of, his touch often isn't good enough in tight spaces.

I'd play Hunt more in the centre and rotate Reach and Harris on the left unless one stands out.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Would like to see Reach given a go at wing back (on the left!), he had some decent performances when he first moved into the centre but it's a long time ago now.

His crossing off his left is very good for this level but he's barely played there, with 2 strikers he should have a decent amount to aim for and Wickhams looking a handful.

Reach was always at his best with space to break into which a wing back gets plenty of, his touch often isn't good enough in tight spaces.

I'd play Hunt more in the centre and rotate Reach and Harris on the left unless one stands out.

Reach played at full back under Carlos when he first arrived. That didnt really suit him, as Reach seems reluctant to go into a challenge with full commitment. Wing Back would give him more cover, and he'd be able to get forrad, shoot and cross.

The only uncertanty with Reach now is the contract / EFL uncertanty

This has been our problem for a few of years. Too many goals from worldies very few tap-ins. This season we haven’t had the worldies either. We pass the ball around OK but have very little penetration. 

You can have the best strikers in the world but if you can’t get the ball to them in good positions you’re gonna struggle.

To answer the question isn’t there a “key pass” type stat that might help?

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl
22 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Even then you’d want to know where they got it. On Wednesday Rhodes was getting the ball near our halfway line mostly.

I think we would find Murphy is feeding us more than Harris since the restart, Harris isn’t getting the ball over at all. Bannan probably delivers more than Harris too. 

Have to agree, Harris crossing is woeful for a winger. Hardly ever beats the first man and the assists stats back it up. Murphy’s assists aren’t good either but has played a lot less and scored more goals. Reach on the left for me every day of the week. Has double Harris assists and in less games, also capable of a worldly.

All strikers need service  

26 minutes ago, jamthesun said:

This has been our problem for a few of years. Too many goals from worldies very few tap-ins. This season we haven’t had the worldies either. We pass the ball around OK but have very little penetration. 

You can have the best strikers in the world but if you can’t get the ball to them in good positions you’re gonna struggle.

I honestly don't know mate

I have no idea where to find the info I'm looking for really

I guess I just want to know how many times our strikers are getting the ball given/played/crossed to them in the final third

Owlstalk Shop

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Thanks mate

I'm not bothered if the strikers fluff it when they get the ball or anything, I am just curious to see how many times they actually got given the ball over the last few games

Reason being people are saying Rhodes, Nuhiu etc are pants and did nothing. I just want to see the facts behind it whether or not they actually got passed/crossed to and given the chance etc

I think you have a valid point. Our service has been a bit pants since the turn of the year.

I really enjoyed the first half of the season, we played with a purpose, the wingers got on the ball early and, got crosses into the box. We were thriving. Fletch got injured, we tinkered and, never looked the same.

It's about getting bodies in the box - united are the example of this, and they work tirelessly, with a system and tactics that get forward and back as a team. We don't, and certainly don't have the players to do this. Our wiide men don't tackle or close down, leaving the middle 2/3 to do this. When you have Bannan sat in front of the centre backs and in ineffectual Pelupessy in there there's no wonder we lack intent. Were ok passing it around in our half but gabage at getting forward, other than BB's 50yr cross field balls.

This is a still from just before united's first goal against Spurs - there's 7 united players in the box, three of which are unmarked. They created uncertainty and made the goal opportunity. When do you ever see this level of attacking purpose from us? 

image.png.e39a3f3ddb141c13762085948328c46b.png

42 minutes ago, jamthesun said:

Agree. Even in 'Year One' we stole points in tight games via a moment of individual brilliance from Forestieri or a thunderbolt from Wallace.