"we're going to ask him to play a lot of football"

WICKHAM.jpg

Garry Monk on Wickham: We're seeing what he's capable of. It was always going to take a bit of time to get him up to match sharpness, it's going to be important in all of these games. As tough as it is, we're going to ask him to play a lot of football!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest domSWFC

He's looked good since the break. Can see him ending the season well, and making the move permanent in the summer. 

Injured start of August. The Wednesday way. 

In this current environment, Wickham probably couldn't get a big money transfer elsewhere so if he wants to play regularly and get a decent compensation package, we should be his first choice if we still are in the Championship.

Our only hope would be a 12 month loan for next season. Not a prayer of affording him - and if we're honest, we should b avoiding permanent signings like that.

If his injury problems persitst, we're fizzed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

He's looked good since the break. Can see him ending the season well, and making the move permanent in the summer. 

Injured start of August. The Wednesday way. 

He'll want to come her permanently. Palace will probably take a small fee for him rather than him go for nothing the year after. But we wont be able to afford him or his wages sadly.

I hope im wrong.

But Injured next year would be the wednesday way

1 minute ago, Matt_1 said:

Our only hope would be a 12 month loan for next season. Not a prayer of affording him - and if we're honest, we should b avoiding permanent signings like that.

If his injury problems persitst, we're fizzed.

He only has one year on his contract Palace wont send him out for 12 months. 6 with an obligation to buy maybe.

5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

He only has one year on his contract Palace wont send him out for 12 months. 6 with an obligation to buy maybe.

6 with an option wouldn't be a bad shout - but would he take the paycut needed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

6 with an option wouldn't be a bad shout - but would he take the paycut needed?

With what were currently offering out i cant see it. Maybe we could get somewhere near if we offload Westwood, Lees and Rhodes.

Id love him to stay

I've always thought Wickham has been at his best here. It's his natural home.

Some players are ok at a number of clubs but then they go to another and something clicks, they do better than ever before. They move away and that magic disappears.

This is where Wickham belongs. That doesn't mean we will sign him permanently, just that if we do he will shine.

15 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Unless Palace are willing to give him a year long loan next season then next to no chance he will be at Wednesday next season.

Shame as a fully fit Wickham would be a great player at the level.

Even then, Wickham will be on a hefty salary and we would probably be outbid on the contribution Palace would want. Ironically, the better and sharper he looks for us in the remaining games, the worse that situation could get.

• Like 1

I like Wickham as a player. In his previous spell with us, he looked too good for the Championship in my opinion. He has the potential to be brilliant in this league.

But I think we’ve been burnt too many times with giving out high wages to very talented, but injury prone players. I don’t think it’s a good strategy for us. I think it would be different if we had endless money to spare and didn’t have to rely on him week in, week out. 

• Love 2