Youngsters sign extensions

Guest mrbluesky
3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Moriarty, I think some character from the Sherlock Holmes Books.  Change it every year.  

No poo ?

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, The Wall said:

You may well be right, although I prefer to focus on the positives.

How and why they got here shouldn't be important for now. They've got a great opportunity and let's hope they make the best of it.

My advice to them would be - Accept now that somebody will come on here or radio Sheffield and say you're the worst player they've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt, guaranteed. So don't let it get you down when that inevitably happens.

Good luck lads

Yep, but I look at it from the angle it could ruin them, I genuinely hope they succeed, no reason for me not to, it’s the whole environment around the club that worries me.

Guest mrbluesky
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Any requests?  (open goal for you)

Just to have some relevant input to said thread.

OG no doubt though, for you.

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Will do my best 

No promises... I like tangents 

More of an apple man, myself.

But we digress, your opinion on said thread title?

1 minute ago, mrbluesky said:

More of an apple man, myself.

But we digress, your opinion on said thread title?

Wish them all the best, the odds of becoming a professional footballer are massive, so the ones who believe they have made it at this point probably won't, this is where the hard work begins.  

Would be nice if we could get one or two into the first team or even get a decent transfer amount.

Guest mrbluesky
Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Wish them all the best, the odds of becoming a professional footballer are massive, so the ones who believe they have made it at this point probably won't, this is where the hard work begins.  

Would be nice if we could get one or two into the first team or even get a decent transfer amount.

See, you can do it, lets discuss the post, not the poster, hey? x

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

*The Academy is poor for a start

*They need GOOD experienced players around them, to bring them on

* Stability within the club,

*They need to be drip fed in, players at this level need a club that has the infrastructure around them and performing in the top half of the (regular)

* They have been promoted for all the wrong reasons.    

I could go on.

Agree with all that ,Bluey,  apart from possibly the last one.  Though obviously I don't know for sure. But it might be that some of them are actually deemed as ready to dip their toe in the water like the lad was at Swansea.

Bloody hell. I post before I'd finished! 

Was also going to add that I meant it will avoid a situation where a lad is knocking on the door but the club instead go out and spunk  £10m on two players as a gamble instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They won't have to be world beaters to get in our team😀

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

*The Academy is poor for a start

*They need GOOD experienced players around them, to bring them on

* Stability within the club,

*They need to be drip fed in, players at this level need a club that has the infrastructure around them and performing in the top half of the (regular)

* They have been promoted for all the wrong reasons.    

I could go on.

Don't get the negativity, to be fair

Our academy has definitely improved over the past four or five seasons

Last season was disappointing - results wise - and maybe that's been reflected by the release of eight regulars from the U23s

and a handful more from the juniors

Prior to that though, we shouldn't ignore the fact our U23s were national champions 2016/17 and came close to a repeat the

following season

Our U18s also did well 2017/18 and went on to become champions in 2019

That six or seven of those youngsters have now earned their first professional deals and step up a level is worthy of praise

If not yet a cause for celebration

They're joining an established squad of around a dozen youngsters who, for the most part, have already tasted success

as Young Owls and hopefully they'll all be able to progress further as a group

I think coaching is key at all levels and recent changes may have partly affected results and performances last term

So I'm hoping there'll be more stability in that department when the new season finally gets underway

As individuals, some of these youngsters will greatly benefit from more experience of senior football

Whether that means regular training sessions alongside our seniors or periods out on loan - whenever the opportunities

become available - and whatever the level on offer

I'm sure Steve Haslam & co are well on top of that

So good luck lads and well done!  

• Like 6

Well summed up, Ethel.

a lot of Football Fans, not just our own, forget that the only place to gain experience is on the field- on match days. Even the 'stars' were once callow youngsters.. Modern football has made it far too easy to go and pick your own ready-made player from abroad etc. Youngsters need coaching and easing into the first team . But i must admit I am not a fan of loanees. We don't seem to have had the best of luck with our players. I would much sooner keep them on the bench and give them shot spells in the side.

Get the lads integrated with the First Team asap.

can we please start to loan our under 23's out.

it's the only way they'll be ready for the first team.

there's a few exceptions like Hunt who's actually good enough to play now and can skip the loan move, but the rest need to be playing either non-league or league 1/2

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Don't get the negativity, to be fair

Our academy has definitely improved over the past four or five seasons

Last season was disappointing - results wise - and maybe that's been reflected by the release of eight regulars from the U23s

and a handful more from the juniors

Prior to that though, we shouldn't ignore the fact our U23s were national champions 2016/17 and came close to a repeat the

following season

Our U18s also did well 2017/18 and went on to become champions in 2019

That six or seven of those youngsters have now earned their first professional deals and step up a level is worthy of praise

If not yet a cause for celebration

They're joining an established squad of around a dozen youngsters who, for the most part, have already tasted success

as Young Owls and hopefully they'll all be able to progress further as a group

I think coaching is key at all levels and recent changes may have partly affected results and performances last term

So I'm hoping there'll be more stability in that department when the new season finally gets underway

As individuals, some of these youngsters will greatly benefit from more experience of senior football

Whether that means regular training sessions alongside our seniors or periods out on loan - whenever the opportunities

become available - and whatever the level on offer

I'm sure Steve Haslam & co are well on top of that

So good luck lads and well done!  

It`s not negativity, it`s the reasons behind why we are doing it and the impact it can have on players coming in to a toxic environment  

20 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

It`s not negativity, it`s the reasons behind why we are doing it and the impact it can have on players coming in to a toxic environment  

Sorry - still sounds negative to me   :sad:

I'm sure these players see signing professional terms as the next step on an exciting adventure

After all, isn't it what they've been working towards?