West Brom's "tactics"

It’s horrible to watch and spoils the flow of the game but many teams from “beautiful football “ Peps team down, do tactical fouling. 

We need to be more “professional” in our approach. 

Last time we played West Brom at Hillsborough we should have brought Barnes down and stopped him getting the injury time equaliser. 

2 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Some really poor cynical fouls last night from West Brom. Sawyers, O’Shea, Austin and Pereira.

I thought Austin could’ve been sent off for his. 

Probably should have been. Both feet off the ground, studs showing.

11 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

Chucking the ball away, standing in front of free kicks, which then graduated to hacking down when through, surrounding the ref...this even happened when they were 3-0 up.

I dare say, that they believe in their cause, their desire to be triumphant by whatever means, a real solid outfit for the benefit of the team.

They've walked away from Hillsborough with three points, three goals and nowt conceded with a solidified claim to a promotion spot.

Wednesday need to stop being so nice, and so virtuous.  It's not politics, it's not worldly matters, it's a competition.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I dare say, that they believe in their cause, their desire to be triumphant by whatever means, a real solid outfit for the benefit of the team.

They've walked away from Hillsborough with three points, three goals and nowt conceded with a solidified claim to a promotion spot.

Wednesday need to stop being so nice, and so virtuous.  It's not politics, it's not worldly matters, it's a competition.  

We've been nice for over 50 years, won one trophy, never been champions of any league, spent most of the time outside the top tier.   I read some time ago that Manchester City with the most expensive and best players in the world were the top team for fouling in the middle third, usually within 5 yards of the halfway line. They don't need to do it, but they do, you concede an innocuous free kick, and you rarely get booked, and you stop an attack before it starts. I wish it were not so, but nice guys never win anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Problem is if a ref booked someone for everything in the game that was by the rules deemed a yellow card. No game would ever finish with 22 players still on the pitch.

It might take a while but a hard line stance by refs with a few red cards would soon get the message across. Players learn what they can get away with and do it.

Same with holding in the box at corners, refs don't award penalties so it happens all the time. Award a few and it will stop. 

18 minutes ago, prowl said:

It might take a while but a hard line stance by refs with a few red cards would soon get the message across. Players learn what they can get away with and do it.

Same with holding in the box at corners, refs don't award penalties so it happens all the time. Award a few and it will stop. 

I think if it was that simple it would have been implemented along time ago.

Some things are just natural to do for a footballer and you will struggle to take it out the game. Like a follow through on a slide tackle, sometimes you cant help but catch the man. Also grappling at a corner. Watch any corner at least 4 or 5 players will be grappling with their man and grabbing his shirt. Its basically how you mark professionally from a corner. You dont do that and your man scores, you will get shouted at to put your arms round him next time. You only really get punished for it if its  extreme and   blatantly obvious.

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think if it was that simple it would have been implemented along time ago.

Some things are just natural to do for a footballer and you will struggle to take it out the game. Like a follow through on a slide tackle, sometimes you cant help but catch the man. Also grappling at a corner. Watch any corner at least 4 or 5 players will be grappling with their man and grabbing his shirt. Its basically how you mark professionally from a corner. You dont do that and your man scores, you will get shouted at to put your arms round him next time. You only really get punished for it if its  extreme and   blatantly obvious.

The one that bugs me is when the defender is under pressure in his own half, often facing his own goal and just flops on the floor if anyone so much as looks at him. Not only does it get a free kick EVERY SINGLE TIME but even the attacking player invariably accepts the decision as fair. 

15 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The one that bugs me is when the defender is under pressure in his own half, often facing his own goal and just flops on the floor if anyone so much as looks at him. Not only does it get a free kick EVERY SINGLE TIME but even the attacking player invariably accepts the decision as fair. 

Like the shove on Da Cruz.

They are things that have become accepted in the game. Like you cant challenge a goalkeeper without 9 times out of 10 giving away a free kick. 

Or a foul that happens inside the box is not a penalty whereas any where else on the pitch it is a foul.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kelham Owl said:

I think the cynical, professional fouls highlights one of the problems with the new amount of subs you can have. You can essentially do 5 of these fouls and sub all the players that got carded.

Good point

Welcome to the site mate

Owlstalk Shop