West Brom's "tactics"

It's because the referees are all píss weak. If the refs set their stall out early on with a couple of yellow cards the message would soon get out. Pereira was stood on virtually every free-kick, stopping them being taken (Luongo did this too a couple of times, to be fair). Should be a yellow card according to the rules. Tactical fouling is a scurge as well, every time a player hauls someone down without trying to play the ball it should be a mandatory yellow. And as for that obstruction on Da Cruz when he was chasing the ball down the left hand side of the area - blatant free kick.

But the refs seem to by trying to enforce this strategy of game management, trying to keep 11v11 on the pitch at all costs and not using bookings until the last twenty minutes. I would love to be the maverick ref that sent someone off the first time they tried this shíthousery - a game of football might just break out in the margins.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

These tactics are frustrating when they go against you but it shows how important ‘managing a game’ is when you’re going for promotion. 

Agree. It reminded me of something that is seldom talked about in Carlos’ first season. 

back then we we’re excellent when we lost the ball. We used to break up play with niggly fouls in the oppositions half and not let them build any momentum. Forestieri, Hooper and Lee were particularly good at this.

Edited by LoadABallacks

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

It's because the referees are all píss weak. If the refs set their stall out early on with a couple of yellow cards the message would soon get out. Pereira was stood on virtually every free-kick, stopping them being taken (Luongo did this too a couple of times, to be fair). Should be a yellow card according to the rules. Tactical fouling is a scurge as well, every time a player hauls someone down without trying to play the ball it should be a mandatory yellow. And as for that obstruction on Da Cruz when he was chasing the ball down the left hand side of the area - blatant free kick.

But the refs seem to by trying to enforce this strategy of game management, trying to keep 11v11 on the pitch at all costs and not using bookings until the last twenty minutes. I would love to be the maverick ref that sent someone off the first time they tried this shíthousery - a game of football might just break out in the margins.

Problem is if a ref booked someone for everything in the game that was by the rules deemed a yellow card. No game would ever finish with 22 players still on the pitch.

They did exactly we what our players never do. 

- when a player is looking like Ronaldo and looking like he's running through the entire team into a dangerous position, take one for the team and stop the danger. BRING HIM DOWN

- when there's a 50/50 decision get your team to hunt in packs and force the reff info a decision.

With 5 substitutes at your disposal and only 5 or so games left and the game being played in 4 quarters theres a "Take one for the team ethos abound" and WBA exploited this avenue expertly and with great success ...

Works even better with a weak Referee..

And very easy when you are playing against a team without a captain ..

One of our first priorities is getting a captain .....

Been bumbling along without one for a long time now .....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

With 5 substitutes at your disposal and only 5 or so games left and the game being played in 4 quarters theres a "Take one for the team ethos abound" and WBA exploited this avenue expertly and with great success ...

Works even better with a weak Referee..

And very easy when you are playing against a team without a captain ..

One of our first priorities is getting a captain .....

Been bumbling along without one for a long time now .....

Nail on head.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

I'm surprised I've not seen more about this, but they were time wasting/niggling/fouling from minute 10.

Chucking the ball away, standing in front of free kicks, which then graduated to hacking down when through, surrounding the ref...this even happened when they were 3-0 up.

What's everyones thoughts on this?  If you're a Luton/Hull/Stoke, then I probably understand it.  But this lot? There is no need, at 0-0 with no crowd to incite, what's the point?  

Practice makes perfect...

If the opposition do it, it's frustrating; if we did it I would be happy. The trick is doing it at the right time where the opposition are about to hurt you but the outcome is a lesser danger. WBA were good at that. You also need enough good players on the bench to replace the inevitable booked players on the pitch. 

Don't really like it against us but would be happy if we did it.

I can't be the only one that finds it funny... Owlstalk has had a collective voice for years, complaining that we're not savvy enough to see games out and control the tempo of a game when we're not in possession by committing fouls in the right area, standing over free kicks etc... one team does a job on us by utilising those tactics (and, ya know... being a better side...) and loads of you lot are moaning about it!

Yet I can guarantee you the next time a side scores from a quick free kick against us, there will be a 10 page thread on why Pelupessy or someone didn't stand over the ball to prevent the quick taking of itlol 

Edited by StudentOwl

36 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Problem is if a ref booked someone for everything in the game that was by the rules deemed a yellow card. No game would ever finish with 22 players still on the pitch.

Remember when David Jones became the only player in history to be sent off for politely questioning the ref's decision?

After much fanfare, they soon stopped applying that rule!

:duntmatter:

As for West Brom, I understand that 'tactical' fouls are a part of the game these days, but there's a way to do them which don't endanger your opponent, and they pushed things a bit far on occasion - particularly Austin's hack from behind on Murphy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

I'm surprised I've not seen more about this, but they were time wasting/niggling/fouling from minute 10.

Chucking the ball away, standing in front of free kicks, which then graduated to hacking down when through, surrounding the ref...this even happened when they were 3-0 up.

What's everyones thoughts on this?  If you're a Luton/Hull/Stoke, then I probably understand it.  But this lot? There is no need, at 0-0 with no crowd to incite, what's the point?  

That's what winners do. This game is about fine margins. With so much at stake and a human in charge needing to make decisions any tactic to influence those decisions is employed by the best, most successful teams.

It's coached, and not something we seem to have instilled in the players since the early 90s

8 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

If we’re ever going to get out of this division - and I’m talking about promotion, not relegation- we will need to develop a much more professional and ruthless streak.

Like it or not, that’s just the way it is with the modern game 

It’s not just the modern game. Shankleys Liverpool were masters at it. Gave free kicks away in the middle third, not where it would cost them. 

26 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Just reality.  .  What good is tactical perspective. Its zero points and a minus 3 goal difference 

What with this being a football forum and all, you tend to find people occasionally discussing aspects of the game they've just watched.

10 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

Don't forget they were on a bad run and needed the points and got them.