• Luongo
    • Wickham
    • Rhodes
    • Harris
    • Hunt
    • Lee
    • Da Cruz
    • Nuhiu

A decent performance until the penalty, chasing the game always going to be difficult against a side that pressed us very well for possession. With four possible wingers on the pitch it was difficult in the middle and Luongo and Bannan were both far from their best. Perhaps Hunt is showing enough to share that particular responsibility. Iorfa was the standout performer for me and Wickham put a good shift in. The weekend should be more productive. 

Wildsmith - 6 3rd goal a bit soft, but I actually thought his all round game tonight was better than against Bristol

Palmer - 5 first half was ok, but then lazy Liam reappeared in the 2nd half

Iorfa - 7 held together a makeshift defence well, some great blocks but a few slips too

Odubajo - 6 so difficult to rate. Some really great bits and then an absolute brain donor moment twice. I like that he got involved though, so scores higher than Palmer who hid for large chunks

Murphy - 7 dangerous going forward, grafted going backwards, just needs to release the ball a little earlier, but become a very important player

Bannan - 7 would have been a 9 after the first half but struggled to get a foothold in the 2nd

Reach - 6 toiled and tried but just not suited to that position at all

Luongo - 5 poor night on that back of two strong performances. Perhaps a touch of fatigue

Harris - 6 still flattering to deceive for me. Gets an extra point for nearly getting a shot on target with a great hit, but wasted many good opportunities once again

Rhodes - 4 May as well give up trying him

Wickham - 8 top performance, especially when pretty isolated alongside ineffective Rhodes and scarce service from Harris. So strong and can count himself unlucky not to be afforded a couple of better chances

Edited by McRightSide
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Monk 0

Players put effort in but set up to lose, moses and palmer never cb's and reach needs to play on left for starters

33 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Monk 0

Players put effort in but set up to lose, moses and palmer never cb's and reach needs to play on left for starters

So who would you have played tonight at centre back?

12 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Monk 0

So who else could he play? Forced into it by the available players.

Went for Wickham - 8

Getting better game by game. I thought loaning him was a bizarre risk but it seems to be working well for both him and us since the restart. His strength and balance are superb.

7 - Murphy, Iorfa

6 - Wildsmith, Palmer, Bannan, Harris, Rhodes

5 - Luongo, Reach, Odubajo, Lee, Da Cruz

I thought Moses was superb first half except for 5 seconds when his concentration and studs slipped. I thought he was very poor second half, but then so was everyone.

I think if we marked each half in isolation last night we’d all be giving 6-9s and 3-6s respectively.

• Like 1

Murphy for me, constant threat throughout the game

I know West Brom have better players than us

But our lads put a great shift in

All three goals came from our errors

To me the game showed that with this manager, we can match the better teams, we will be a force if Monk is allowed to bring in who he wants

Odubajo, I just don't know what to say about him, his heart is in the right place, but his feet aren't, he falls down more than my wife

• Haha 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

So who else could he play? Forced into it by the available players.

Moses cost a pen and lost his man for 2nd headed goal which he defended like a typical fb, weakly.

Monk was not 'forced' to play 3 cb's when only iorfa available.

Palmer less calamitous than moses tho so maybe iorfa and palmer in a back 4 and 433 if no other option for that 1 game, but no way should he have played moses cb (2 goals culpable for).

He still chose to play palmer cb when borner was fit tho and wasn't forced to do that before west brom.

As soon as borner back would play 433 and ditch the full backs at centre back idea.

It easily comes undone when aerial crosses come in (2 goals like this conceeded vs west brom), which they will without proper full backs to stop them.

Squad is very thin now but palmer is not a cb, moses even less so with decision making imo.

And monk never plays reach in his best position on the left, he doesn't get the best out of squads so will never succeed here or anywhere else imo.

If you disagree feel free to share why you think he will succeed here, but hopefully dc decides before he gets a single penny this summer.

I have been very critical of Monk, some of the performances and his random team selections before COVID were really poor.

Since the lockdown we have come back with a modern system and I am glad he stuck with this system last night.

If Monk is to remain in charge, he needs to stick with with this system and we need to buy players who fit in rather than the scattergun approach we have used over the last few years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, erowl said:

Wickham for me ... Mention for Murphy too who was targeted all night by WBA .

I'll bet Wickham was delighted when Monk told him before the game that his strike partners for the evening would be Rhodes, followed briefly by da Cruz and then Nuhiu!! :wacko:

To be fair if he wasnt expecting one of those three he might need his head examining.