A warning for anyone re-streaming

1 hour ago, HarryPlopper said:

I may get wooshed as not read anything on here since before the match started - indeed this may be a known thing anyway.   If it is, please accept my apologies. 

Has anyone else seen a set of numbers/letters darting around the screen on the odd occasion?

Something i've noticed whilst watching the game, ifollow has occasionally a watermark on my screen darting around like a screensaver - after considering what it is - a series of numbers and letters, it struck me that it's a unique code described to find anyone who may be illegally re-streaming it and personally identify them.

Don't do it!

And make sure you pay your tv license on time...and in full, or the TV license detector van will get you.

Also make sure you have 20p in the correct change (very important) everytime time you cross a bridge, if not you will meet a very angry troll.

1 hour ago, dr. benway said:

It happens all the time. Looks like a MAC address. Almost certainly not an identification as it’s encoded into the stream, which would be technically, er, “difficult” to do on an individual basis. Fascinating idea though!

Looks too long to be a mac address, even if it was so what, bein sports have there logo all over the screen, not stopped beoutq using there stuff.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Is it not the MAC address of the PC so they can evidence who is broadcasting it illegally? Like Sky Sports puts the viewing card or account number or something. 

I’m gonna check next time. 

Funny thing with sky the put the viewing card on the top corner when footballs on.

However the 'stolen' streams are from now tv, as can be seen with the square in the bottom right corner, these show no numbers on screen at all.

17 minutes ago, Chilli said:

When they do I'll just slip a babel fish in my ear and I'm sure everything will be crystal clear.

Either that or I'll get me 19 year old son to explain it to me.

lollollol

Not heard of a babblefish for years, that took me back lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

VPN ?

The good ones are usually AES encrypted. Split tunnelling on top and you are as safe as can be with current technologies.

Taken from a well known quality VPN which does not keep logs and is registered in a country that does not subscribe to the 'five eyes' agreement.

Besides hiding your IP address and mixing your traffic with that of other users, XXX VPN also encrypts your traffic between secure VPN servers and your computer, so that it can’t be read by third parties in between, such as your internet service provider or your local Wi-Fi operator.

XXX VPN uses AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with 256-bit keys—also known as AES-256. It’s the same encryption standard adopted by the U.S. government and used by security experts worldwide to protect classified information.

256-bit keys means 2^256 or 1.1 x 10^77 possible combinations. That’s 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665,640,560,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations! A brute-force attack on a 256-bit keyspace is simply infeasible, even if all the world’s most powerful supercomputers ran for as long as the universe has existed so far, billions and billions of times over.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

The good ones are usually AES encrypted. Split tunnelling on top and you are as safe as can be with current technologies.

Taken from a well known quality VPN which does not keep logs and is registered in a country that does not subscribe to the 'five eyes' agreement.

Besides hiding your IP address and mixing your traffic with that of other users, XXX VPN also encrypts your traffic between secure VPN servers and your computer, so that it can’t be read by third parties in between, such as your internet service provider or your local Wi-Fi operator.

XXX VPN uses AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with 256-bit keys—also known as AES-256. It’s the same encryption standard adopted by the U.S. government and used by security experts worldwide to protect classified information.

256-bit keys means 2^256 or 1.1 x 10^77 possible combinations. That’s 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665,640,560,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations! A brute-force attack on a 256-bit keyspace is simply infeasible, even if all the world’s most powerful supercomputers ran for as long as the universe has existed so far, billions and billions of times over.

Sounds very hi tech, what is the cost of one of these contraptions ?

4 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Sounds very hi tech, what is the cost of one of these contraptions ?

Not as much as you think.

I have to use one for my job, but I also use it for private browsing.

The best two on the market are IMHO Express VPN and Nord VPN.

Nord is the cheaper of the two and I would recommend it for most people. (I'm not affiliated in any way)

£64 for 2 years (look for the deal) Express is more than twice the cost, but the best in my opinion.

The risk?

Data collection, targeted advertising from Google et al. 5 eyes government surveillance, identity theft, etc, etc.

Some people think they are unnecessary, I don't.

Don't go for a cheap one, they are not worth it.

Nord is the best deal for the average bloke Nev.

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Sound info.... and no one is reading it thinking about hiding using of a dodgy football stream 😂

Just saying. 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2020 at 22:24, bobness said:

The MAC address is used to communicate within your network, the IP address is what's used to communicate on the internet. So your MAC doesn't escape your network.

Within the data packet sent from your device, the MAC address is replaced by each network the data traverses, but the destination IP remains the same. 

Thanks for that, whats it mean?

• Haha 2

On 01/07/2020 at 21:09, dr. benway said:

It happens all the time. Looks like a MAC address. Almost certainly not an identification as it’s encoded into the stream, which would be technically, er, “difficult” to do on an individual basis. Fascinating idea though!

It's not a mac address. It'll be a GUID for the id of the user account you are logged in with so they can identify your account rather than your hardware

• Like 1