A warning for anyone re-streaming

I may get wooshed as not read anything on here since before the match started - indeed this may be a known thing anyway.   If it is, please accept my apologies. 

Has anyone else seen a set of numbers/letters darting around the screen on the odd occasion?

Something i've noticed whilst watching the game, ifollow has occasionally a watermark on my screen darting around like a screensaver - after considering what it is - a series of numbers and letters, it struck me that it's a unique code described to find anyone who may be illegally re-streaming it and personally identify them.

Don't do it!

• Haha 3

I've got two accounts in the house - two adult season tickets and on occasion we figured we'd gift one to my father - definitely different codes!  (I should be following the game I know, but it just caught my imagination so I got it on a second laptop!) 

Could be different MAC addresses. My theory is that the graphics compositing (adding the score, minutes elapsed etc) is done through a separate set of computers, which occasionally start adding a “screensaver” of sorts. I think this causes them to sometimes composite that screensaver on top of the broadcast. 

I’m happy to be proven wrong though and would actually be genuinely impressed if they were doing this to watermark the broadcast!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Is it not the MAC address of the PC so they can evidence who is broadcasting it illegally? Like Sky Sports puts the viewing card or account number or something. 

I’m gonna check next time. 

Anyone not using a VPN is taking a risk. If you have a VPN, and its enabled to disguise your IP address, you should be ok

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Is it not the MAC address of the PC so they can evidence who is broadcasting it illegally? Like Sky Sports puts the viewing card or account number or something. 

I’m gonna check next time. 

The MAC address is used to communicate within your network, the IP address is what's used to communicate on the internet. So your MAC doesn't escape your network.

Within the data packet sent from your device, the MAC address is replaced by each network the data traverses, but the destination IP remains the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryPlopper said:

I may get wooshed as not read anything on here since before the match started - indeed this may be a known thing anyway.   If it is, please accept my apologies. 

Has anyone else seen a set of numbers/letters darting around the screen on the odd occasion?

Something i've noticed whilst watching the game, ifollow has occasionally a watermark on my screen darting around like a screensaver - after considering what it is - a series of numbers and letters, it struck me that it's a unique code described to find anyone who may be illegally re-streaming it and personally identify them.

Don't do it!

1439440525_tenor(2).gif.fdfd162b0f28f4d94bdb5effd2c3fac4.gif

17 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Anyone not using a VPN is taking a risk. If you have a VPN, and its enabled to disguise your IP address, you should be ok

How does using a VPN help if you're using an identifiable login? Additionally, a VPN provides little "protection" anyway, as your IP is only one identifier of many. Google the term "browser fingerpinting" or "device fingeprinting".

It happened on my I player and I paid £10 quid for it. So I have absolutely no idea what to do with this. I've screamed and smashed my laptop and run into the woods to start an off the grid life just in case. 

Now I'm worrying those numbers were the OS grid reference of my current location in the woods. Oh poo.

• Haha 4