Sam Hutchinson saying his face didn't fit (twice) and not being fully paid on time

30 minutes ago, cowl said:

Why? Did ‘something’ go on for Winnall or Rhodes to find themselves out of the squad completely at the end of January? Winnall had started all but one of the previous 7 games prior to the unfit loan signings coming in.

Given that between them they managed to score in a grand total of two league games this season, it's not hard to imagine why Monk was quite keen to try someone different alongside Fletcher.

Winnall's not looked anything like a Championship forward since his injury, so it's no surprise to see him released, and Rhodes has been brought back in now our options are limited again in the absence of Fletcher...which are both entirely different to Hutchinson's situation.

Guest Theboylangers
8 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Oh yes, that's a great description of the kind of character that easily wins fans over..definitely our fans. We so easily have the wool pulled over our eyes by a 'badge kisser' ( Megson, Hutchinson ) or a character that isn't actually that good in his position ( Reda Johnson,  Majid Bougherra) . 

Not sure what the reason behind defending Jordan Rhodes to the hilt is though,  despite him being shocking for three seasons....he's a nice bloke and fans don't like to be wrong about signings they've clamoured for? 

Bougherra who we got 2.5 million for? 

One of our highest outgoing transfer fees ever?

14 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

Bougherra who we got 2.5 million for? 

One of our highest outgoing transfer fees ever?

We played him at centre back ..' a ball playing centre half'  which always translates as 'liability who loses the ball half way up the pitch and then is hopelessly out of position'.

Glad we cashed in, was it Rangers that bought him?

Guest Theboylangers
Just now, Bannofan said:

We played him at centre back ..' a ball playing centre half'  which always translates as 'liability who loses the ball half way up the pitch and then is hopelessly out of position'.

Glad we cashed in, was it Rangers that bought him?

Charlton. 

You're correct, he did have a blunder in him but he was class. 

14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given that between them they managed to score in a grand total of two league games this season, it's not hard to imagine why Monk was quite keen to try someone different alongside Fletcher.

Winnall's not looked anything like a Championship forward since his injury, so it's no surprise to see him released, and Rhodes has been brought back in now our options are limited again in the absence of Fletcher...which are both entirely different to Hutchinson's situation.

We only released Winnall a few days ago - so why was he pretty much excluded from consideration at the end of January even though the players replacing him were either untried at this level or nowhere near match fit? The situation with Hutchinson doesn't seem that different at all.

Winnall wasn't up to it, and yet he was no worse than Da Cruz or Wickham during those 8 games - and yet, Monk apparently knew they wouldn't be match fit and they'd take a while to get going - you'd never guess we've had potential point deduction hanging over us during that time given Monk felt we could just chuck 8 games while our forwards get up to speed. Nor did it even look as though Wickham or Da Cruz were getting fitter or adjusting to the pace at the time of the lockdown - the chances are we'd have carried on in the same form right to the end of the season.

Just now, cowl said:

We only released Winnall a few days ago - so why was he pretty much excluded from consideration at the end of January even though the players replacing him were either untried at this level or nowhere near match fit? The situation with Hutchinson doesn't seem that different at all.

Winnall wasn't up to it, and yet he was no worse than Da Cruz or Wickham during those 8 games - and yet, Monk apparently knew they wouldn't be match fit and they'd take a while to get going - you'd never guess we've had potential point deduction hanging over us during that time given Monk felt we could just chuck 8 games while our forwards get up to speed. Nor did it even look as though Wickham or Da Cruz were getting fitter or adjusting to the pace at the time of the lockdown - the chances are we'd have carried on in the same form right to the end of the season.

Winnall's been awful since he got injured and only started six games under Monk - as soon as he could replace him with players he thought might be better, he did. There's nothing unusual there.

Hutchinson on the other hand was a first team regular who was suddenly banished to the reserves, which is quite unusual.

8 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Hutch was clearly an influential character in the dressing room. He also obviously didn't think much of Monk or Jos as managers.

Other players will have picked up on that and that's probably why Jos and monk wanted to distance him from the team. Same deal with Westwood 

It doesn't necessarily mean either of them were bad apples or purposely sowing discontent. But if influential players are not buying into your vision you probably want to distance them from the team. Neither party is necessarily at fault.

That is a pretty good synopsis and you may not be far wrong there. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Winnall's been awful since he got injured and only started six games under Monk - as soon as he could replace him with players he thought might be better, he did. There's nothing unusual there.

Hutchinson on the other hand was a first team regular who was suddenly banished to the reserves, which is quite unusual.

Winnall had started all but one of the previous 7 games - and then he never played or was involved again, while all the fans got to enjoy watching his unfit and struggling replacements fail game after game - of course, there's something to be said there! Especially when Monk apparently knew they'd initially struggle. At least have him on the bench and give himself the option of being able to bring him on.

9 hours ago, darra said:

I heard from a friend who I trust to give sound information that there was a certain hierarchy at the club between some senior players and the young uns. One of the first things Monk did was put a stop to it. 

I think it's natural in football or any other profession for that matter. Older experienced employees are more vocal and are leaders, younger inexperienced employees look up to and learn from them. 

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I get the impression Monk is quite confrontational.

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Would absolutely LOVE to know where this little nugget came from

lol

His embarrassing public spat with Pep Clotet didn't show him in the best of light.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I 100% totally disagree with that last line

Would LOVE to see how Sam Hutchinson would manage a player like Sam Hutchinson

If anyone would know how to manage a player like Sam Hutchinson, it would be Sam Hutchinson surely?

Edited by Jim

Just now, @owlstalk said:

In theory yes

In practice I think he would have no chance

I think he will make a good manager one day. Seems to come across as someone who sees the bigger picture on a wide variety of issues. I suspect having to quit early on in his career and his subsequent mental health problems have given him a strong desire to succeed wherever he is or goes? Decent player, always gave 100% in my eyes. Only two managers here didn’t take to him and they happen to be the two with the two worst records in his time here, if Sam thinks that these two are sh!t managers then who am I to disagree but a lot on here will?

Best of Luck Sam and if you do get to celebrate scoring a goal here, I hope it’s in front of Monk 🤣

• Like 1