Sam Hutchinson saying his face didn't fit (twice) and not being fully paid on time

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

That's frigging rich coming from you. Good god

Post not poster

😘

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

No bigger fan of Hutchinson myself. A throwback player who got stuck in. On a cold evening during a dull game a thunderous tackle can get the crowd going. A never say die attitude on the pitch is something that all supporters love to see. He gave his all and I thank him for that. One of my favourite players in recent history. 

However. Players have to tow the line. When a glowering presence around the place starts to affect other players decisions are made.

As the fantastic Roy Keane found out when he was shown the door at Old Trafford. A players attitude around the club is as important as it is on the pitch. 

Spot on, no doubting Hutch's ability or commitment on the pitch from me. Think he was a better football than some give him credit for too (he didn't just run around kicking people).

The comparison with Keane is a good one. I'm sure Keane 100% believes he did nothing wrong and it was all Ferguson's fault.

In fact, read any footballers autobiography and you'll see similar stories

Financially, there are certain decisions that no doubt need to be made.

We have to make the £s stretch as far as possible and that Hutchinson would have to have been let go at the end of his contract is something that seems acceptable enough to me.

Monk's gone about it very badly though, and it seems to be a feature of his management of players in that he's too impatient; where's the pragmatism?

Monk might well have decided not long after he came in that Hutchinson is a player he'll probably have to move on, but why do it right at the end of January when you know full well he'll be being paid for doing nothing for 6 months?

We've not had a single game since then in which Hutchinson would not have been more than useful to us. Last night being a prime example.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can't say I've missed out really, because every time I've not played or not been involved in it, it hasn't been great, so...

No-one really wants to be involved in a team like that anyway!

Says it all, really.

A senior pro quite happy to take the money for not playing, rather than busting a gut to break back into the team and wrestle our form back on track.

And thinking nothing of saying as much in a radio interview.

I've had a lot of time for Hutchinson over the years, but it's definitely time for him to go.

I wish Hutchinson good luck but with his disciplinary and injury record can't see a lot of clubs looking to sign him. Time will tell I suppose

• Like 1

Just now, cowl said:

Financially, there are certain decisions that no doubt need to be made.

We have to make the £s stretch as far as possible and that Hutchinson would have to have been let go at the end of his contract is something that seems acceptable enough to me.

Monk's gone about it very badly though, and it seems to be a feature of his management of players in that he's too impatient; where's the pragmatism?

Monk might well have decided not long after he came in that Hutchinson is a player he'll probably have to move on, but why do it right at the end of January when you know full well he'll be being paid for doing nothing for 6 months?

We've not had a single game since then in which Hutchinson would not have been more than useful to us. Last night being a prime example.

You're right, of course: it makes no sense as a purely footballing decision.

Which suggests there might just be more to it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Hutch was clearly an influential character in the dressing room. He also obviously didn't think much of Monk or Jos as managers.

Other players will have picked up on that and that's probably why Jos and monk wanted to distance him from the team. Same deal with Westwood 

It doesn't necessarily mean either of them were bad apples or purposely sowing discontent. But if influential players are not buying into your vision you probably want to distance them from the team. Neither party is necessarily at fault.

'Influential' or 'bad apple' - its all just spun to appease an attitude on a player.

If fans don't like Monk - Hutch was 'Influential'.

If fans like Monk - Hutch was a 'Bad Apple'.

Which ever way you look at it IMO the players answer to the manager not vice versa.

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I heard from a friend who I trust to give sound information that there was a certain hierarchy at the club between some senior players and the young uns. One of the first things Monk did was put a stop to it. 

• Thanks 1

Just got round to listening to it now, and good luck to the fella.

Reading between the lines, it seems that managers felt he wasn't that dependable, maybe the physio saying one thing, Hutchinson saying another etc.

Still think there's a bit more to it, but I guess we'll never know.

I enjoyed watching him on the pitch, so all the rest is just background noise

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The ‘more’ might well be purely down to a personality trait of Monk though.

He's impatient; when he decides that for next season he won't want a player still, he doesn't seem to be able to find a way to utilise them while they're still at the club.

If the club could just go out and buy better replacements immediately, then this would work okay, but we absolutely can't do that. Like I say, there's no pragmatism.

At the end of January, it wasn't just Hutchinson and Westwood but Winnall and Rhodes as well that were simply excluded from selection. Okay, perhaps, because we brought in Da Cruz, Wickham and Windass - but none of them were match-fit (and it showed) - and thus followed up to the lockdown a run of 9 games, with our only win being courtesy of a last minute goal against Charlton.

Monk has since said that he knew the players he brought in in January weren't match-fit - and yet he jettisoned the players they were replacing all the same.

11 minutes ago, darra said:

I heard from a friend who I trust to give sound information that there was a certain hierarchy at the club between some senior players and the young uns. One of the first things Monk did was put a stop to it. 

Only my perception, but I think that's quite a likely scenario.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, darra said:

What does that even mean?

Just sounds like pro-Monk propaganda nonsense to me.