Sam Hutchinson saying his face didn't fit (twice) and not being fully paid on time

Guest Grandad
15 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

And you wonder why no one takes anything you say seriously...Jesus H F******G Christ

Post not poster

Bit sad that @Owlstalk actually clicked like on this attack

Just now, SiJ said:

You know enough to know that the bloke was binned off by two managers and just stated his face doesn't always fit.

By all means, go and start the Sam Hutchinson fan club or perhaps go and support the next club he ends up at. 

Sorry, that my amateur psychological assessments dont fit with your fanboyism. 

Not a fanboy. I thank it's probably time for him to go. I just think the slagging off of someone who put so much into playing for Wednesday is bit unseemly. 

8 minutes ago, Sumi Shimamoto said:

I agree.

My recollection is that Lopez did a great (and underrated) job in the run of games to get us to 6th and then to Wembley and it was harsh for him to lose his place for the final.

Particularly given that, some time later, didn't Sam state in an interview that he wasn't fully fit at Wembley - still not fully recovered from glandular fever?

It seemed to be a reaction to being so overrun against Brighton. 

Guest Grandad

You'd imagine a player whgo suffers with depression would definitely be more motivated by a manager who puts an arm round the shoulder though

Than one who drops you and then won't speak to you

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

"The main problem I had at Sheffield Wednesday was with the physios really. I didn't have that trust in them like I did when Paul Smith was there because they understood me a lot better and they knew who I was"

It’s not their fault his legs are made of rich tea biscuits. 

I have always thought the problem with Monk started on the pitch.

Hutch liked to drop deep with the centre backs and tip tap it about.

Monk doesn’t want that.

Especially when he played 442

He wants box to box players 

Saw several games where Hutch kept doing it at start of games , would push for a bit because he had been told to and then fell into the old routine.

I have always thought they had a bust up because Hutch thought he knew best and wanted to play his way not how the manager wanted him to.

No evidence at all but when I hear “ it’s all about me” interview like that i think that’s what happened.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Not a fanboy. I thank it's probably time for him to go. I just think the slagging off of someone who put so much into playing for Wednesday is bit unseemly. 

So having a view on him which isn't 100 percent rosy, is slagging the bloke off now?

Some people are just so funny a manager does not pick a player so all of a sudden the player is a bad influence, useless and anyone who likes him can follow him to the next team he plays for.

In the 1990's when we were actually in the top flight we had a manager called Pleat who didn't play Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle does that mean all 3 of these are rubbish, trouble maker and don't know what they are doing  - NO it just means some manager are muppets and instead of playing their strongest team, they play the players they like, or the ones that do what the manager says even if its a load of tosh.

Hutch/Westwood in the team Sheffield Wednesday 3rd at Christmas

Since these not in the team 13 points out of a possible 51 in 17 games, team now 13th and 17 points off 3rd.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

What I saw was a player who on the pitch gave as much as I’ve ever seen a Wednesday player give - especially given his injury history. Gary Sheltonesque levels. I know fizz all about what happened behind the scenes so that’ll do for me. 

If people want to ******** themselves silly over their amateur psychology assessments - fill your boots. 

It's easy to launch yourself in to last ditch tackles 60 yards from your own goal and get up a beat your chest.  Kiss the badge when you win and salute the fans.  Fans lap that up, it's just playing to the crowd and good on him for knowing how to play the game.  People so often mistake commitment for competence.  Sam was a good player for us at times, but his tub thumping always outweighed his actual ability (IMO).  And like you say, you know f*ck all about what happened behind the scenes so you can't criticise a manager for freezing him out.  Once under Jos was an event, twice becomes a trend.

8 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Are people really arguing that Hutchinson wasn’t effective for us? During his time here, we were nearly always a better team when he played. If towards the end of his time here certain managers felt having him around was detrimental to what they were trying to achieve as a whole then fair enough.

Hutchinson was and, with the right manager, still would be one of the best midfielders at the club. He’ll sign for a top half team and do well. 

If Monk continues in the role, the mob criticising Hutchinson don’t really have a leg to stand on if it all goes ******** up. If Monk is afforded time and, still fails, it’s fair to say his judgement of certain players was incorrect. Especially when you look at the monumental fall from grace we’ve suffered since the turn of the year. Will the same mob be happy to admit they were wrong alongside Monk and, Jos?

Monk could be the best man manager in the world and best judge of character, but the worlds worst tactician, the two things don't necessarily link up.  Dropping a bad apple doesn't mean you are a good or bad football manager.

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

That's literally his job!  There have been players who've given far more to the cause who get far less plaudits than Hutch.  He knew how to play the crowd and that's it.  Apparently he still knows how to do it in the media too!

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

You'd imagine a player whgo suffers with depression would definitely be more motivated by a manager who puts an arm round the shoulder though

Than one who drops you and then won't speak to you

What if the manager tried that and it didn't work?

Also characterising depression as something that makes everyone act or feel the same way is nonsense.  Someone with depression might need a firm hand, not an arm round the shoulder.

Just not bothered...

No bigger fan of Hutchinson myself. A throwback player who got stuck in. On a cold evening during a dull game a thunderous tackle can get the crowd going. A never say die attitude on the pitch is something that all supporters love to see. He gave his all and I thank him for that. One of my favourite players in recent history. 

However. Players have to tow the line. When a glowering presence around the place starts to affect other players decisions are made.

As the fantastic Roy Keane found out when he was shown the door at Old Trafford. A players attitude around the club is as important as it is on the pitch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I never understand how complex situations, in this case lasting several years and under numerous different conditions, are relentlessly distilled into one of two polarised opinions. Hutchinson was clearly an effective contributor in our best team for 20 years, but it seems he was also a difficult character to manage when things weren't to his liking. The evidence of much more than that is circumstantial at best and I see no reason to jump wholeheartedly to one side of this imaginary huge wall or the other.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

It's easy to launch yourself in to last ditch tackles 60 yards from your own goal and get up a beat your chest.  Kiss the badge when you win and salute the fans.  Fans lap that up, it's just playing to the crowd and good on him for knowing how to play the game.  People so often mistake commitment for competence.  Sam was a good player for us at times, but his tub thumping always outweighed his actual ability (IMO).  And like you say, you know f*ck all about what happened behind the scenes so you can't criticise a manager for freezing him out.  Once under Jos was an event, twice becomes a trend.

Your knowledge of statistics looks to be as amateurish as your psychological assessments.

I'm not saying right now whether Monk or Jos were right to freeze him out or Gray, Carlos, Bullen and Bruce were right to rely on him. I'm saying people coming on here and slagging him off as though 100% commitment on the pitch doesn't matter is a bit of a shame. Playing to the crowd eh. What a horrible thing for a footballer to do. I guess I preferred simpler times. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Your knowledge of statistics looks to be as amateurish as your psychological assessments.

I'm not saying right now whether Monk or Jos were right to freeze him out or Gray, Carlos, Bullen and Bruce were right to rely on him. I'm saying people coming on here and slagging him off as though 100% commitment on the pitch doesn't matter is a bit of a shame. Playing to the crowd eh. What a horrible thing for a footballer to do. I guess I preferred simpler times. 

Not sure what you mean by the first statement...

As for the rest.  It's easy to feign 100% commitment to the fans in the stand who think a lunging, last ditch challenge is a brilliant piece of football.  Talk to people who know the game and they'll laugh and explain what it really is.  

Sadly we don't live in those simple times any more so you can like them all you want but it's irrelevant to what we're talking about.  

Just not bothered...