Sam Hutchinson saying his face didn't fit (twice) and not being fully paid on time

Let's be really honest here.  Hutch got a free ride from the fans because he was badge kissing, hard tackling, tub thumping, ex-manager mocking "club man".  In reality though I doubt that carried much weight with his team mates.  I've read all the secret footballer books and he describes this player to a tea, and explains how the fan favourites for the above reasons are usually hated by their team mates because they are all about themselves and not the team.  The "last ditch" tackles are just showboating from someone who could either do it properly or have already f*cked up badly to need to make that tackle.

I can't say I ever enjoyed watching him play to be honest, he's not really my kind of player but at times he did a job for us.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

12 hours ago, Grandad said:

Carlos motivated a squad who in the previous season had scored just 16 goals at home - with additional players he didn't choose, or give contracts to, into a team of players that finished in the play off spots twice - and was 20 minutes away from taking us to the Premier League. The 2 best league placings in 20 years.

How were we 20 minutes away from the prem?

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Talk me through your psychology training and how and why you make that rather striking assessment. 

If I preface the statement with "in my opinion" (which you'd think is a given on a football forum) does that work for you.

But if you want I will leave you with this:

6 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

"I was a cultured centre back from Chelsea".  Good god.  I've just had to pick myself up off the floor after that one!  Yeah congratulations on your 5 appearances (4 off the bench).  What a wally.

Just not bothered...

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

He says it’s not a problem......but you interpret that as he is the one who leaked it?

In the same way that a manager says "we've got some injuries, but I'm not using that as an excuse"? Why even mention it at all then?

And I'm not expecting whoever did leak it to be flying a plane over the stadium pulling a banner to that effect. Like the dressing room mole from the 1990s, we may never find out.

12 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Circumstantial evidence says our most successful recent managers rated him - Gray, Carlos, Bruce - and the comparative lobbers didn’t. I reckon that makes it 3-2. 

Your own evidence is interetsing

can you back it up by letting us know what exactly Gray, Carlos and Bruce achieved that makes them succesful.

I’ll allow “kept us in the championship” it you can show that the others too us down

Domestic cup wins also valid 

12 hours ago, M Royds said:

Just looking at West Brom’s manager. He have been able to manage the likes of Hutch, FF and co. 

Well let’s see if he does then...given that they are free agents, he’ll no doubt be after snapping them up

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

Not read the whole thread, and I know it’s something I harp on about, but his comments on Carlos and Bruce are interesting. Basically saying they knew when a player needs an arm around the shoulder, whereas monk and Jo’s booted him out without an explanation. I think we now have a good picture of monks management style, and Jo’s lack of it.

it seems obvious what style of manager the players like and will “ run through brick walls” for.

And look what can be achieved if you get that.

What can be achieved......please use what Carlos and Bruce did here as supporting evidence

He should be grateful we gave him so much time and money. Let's be honest he is a crock and when he did play his disciplinary record is poor. Expensive player per games played. Should have been gone after Huddersfield game.

Edited by Big Jack

He's played to the gallery (again) and plenty of our fans have lapped it up.

You know, a bit like doing moustache signs at Boro not so long ago. Plenty thought that was hilarious. Good old Sammy, what a *character...* 

Look, he was a good servant here, but the club needs to move on and has done so for a few years now. 

And yes, you can point the finger at Jos/Monk with respect to what happened with both Hutchinson and Westwood. I dont rate either of them as managers, but imo you dont just boot two senior players out of the first team squad unless something happened.

As for *well Carlos and Bruce reintegrated and played him.*

Yes, that is true, but Bruce was here for 5 minutes. As for Carlos, his supposed indulging man management style led to the players actively mocking the bloke after two seasons (Ross Wallace interview). 

It just strikes me that Hutchinson is great when things are exactly how he wants them to be. But if not, he can be a disruptive and perhaps negative influence.

Some fand will not like that opinion and that's their prerogative.

That's just my reading of the situation and him as an individual.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, room0035 said:

He has had less injuries than Fletcher, player 25 of 27 games this season, but for monk could now be approaching 40 for the season.

Even as a crock, as you put it has still played double the amount of games as Pelupessy.

And you wonder why no one takes anything you say seriously...Jesus H F******G Christ

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

If I preface the statement with "in my opinion" (which you'd think is a given on a football forum) does that work for you.

But if you want I will leave you with this:

Not really no. It’s quite a bold statement to make that’s all. Your evidence is insufficient. 

29 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

"I was a cultured centre back from Chelsea".  Good god.  I've just had to pick myself up off the floor after that one!  Yeah congratulations on your 5 appearances (4 off the bench).  What a wally.

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He's played to the gallery (again) and plenty of our fans have lapped it up.

You know, a bit like doing moustache signs at Boro not so long ago. Plenty thought that was hilarious. Good old Sammy, what a *character...* 

Look, he was a good servant here, but the club needs to move on and has done so for a few years now. 

And yes, you can point the finger at Jos/Monk with respect to what happened with both Hutchinson and Westwood. I dont rate either of them as managers, but imo you dont just boot two senior players out of the first team squad unless something happened.

As for *well Carlos and Bruce reintegrated and played him.*

Yes, that is true, but Bruce was here for 5 minutes. As for Carlos, his supposed indulging man management style led to the players actively mocking the bloke after two seasons (Ross Wallace interview). 

It just strikes me that Hutchinson is great when things are exactly how he wants them to be. But if not, he can be a disruptive and perhaps negative influence.

Some fand will not like that opinion and that's their prerogative.

That's just my reading of the situation and him as an individual.

What I saw was a player who on the pitch gave as much as I’ve ever seen a Wednesday player give - especially given his injury history. Gary Sheltonesque levels. I know fizz all about what happened behind the scenes so that’ll do for me. 

If people want to ******** themselves silly over their amateur psychology assessments - fill your boots. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Talk me through your psychology training and how and why you make that rather striking assessment. 

You don’t need it mate. You just say something on here and two pages later it’s fact.

so Hutch Westwood FF and now Lees ( it seems) are bad apples. Hutch leaked this to the press. He’s a massive ego ( despite his well documented struggle with depression) and we are better off without them. They were never any good anyway.

i know it’s topical to rewrite history at the moment, but I always though wednesdayites were better than this. 

Can An we not give credit to some of the players who gave us our best two seasons in twenty years, and the manager too for that matter.

im glad we had those two seasons because the other 18 years have been ******** awful.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

I'm half full/empty on Hutchinson. But he was part of the biggest tactical f up for years when cc dropped lopez for him in the play off final.

I agree.

My recollection is that Lopez did a great (and underrated) job in the run of games to get us to 6th and then to Wembley and it was harsh for him to lose his place for the final.

Particularly given that, some time later, didn't Sam state in an interview that he wasn't fully fit at Wembley - still not fully recovered from glandular fever?

21 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

And you wonder why no one takes anything you say seriously...Jesus H F******G Christ

Sam Hutchinson 2019/20 league season appearance 23 - All starts and has made 1,849 minutes 

Joey Pelupessy 2019/20 league season appearance 13 (1 against Bristol City )- 9 starts and has played 704 minutes

So when I say he has played twices as much as Pelupessy 23/13 is not quite double, but 1849/704 is over 2.5 times more

Yet you still have a go, when the facts are all readily available on-line and Hutch last appearance was Blackburn at that point Pelupessy had only played 6 games and only 264 minutes.

Edited by room0035

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

What I saw was a player who on the pitch gave as much as I’ve ever seen a Wednesday player give - especially given his injury history. Gary Sheltonesque levels. I know fizz all about what happened behind the scenes so that’ll do for me. 

If people want to ******** themselves silly over their amateur psychology assessments - fill your boots. 

You know enough to know that the bloke was binned off by two managers and just stated his face doesn't always fit.

By all means, go and start the Sam Hutchinson fan club or perhaps go and support the next club he ends up at. 

Sorry, that my amateur psychological assessments dont fit with your fanboyism. 

Are people really arguing that Hutchinson wasn’t effective for us? During his time here, we were nearly always a better team when he played. If towards the end of his time here certain managers felt having him around was detrimental to what they were trying to achieve as a whole then fair enough.

Hutchinson was and, with the right manager, still would be one of the best midfielders at the club. He’ll sign for a top half team and do well. 

If Monk continues in the role, the mob criticising Hutchinson don’t really have a leg to stand on if it all goes ******** up. If Monk is afforded time and, still fails, it’s fair to say his judgement of certain players was incorrect. Especially when you look at the monumental fall from grace we’ve suffered since the turn of the year. Will the same mob be happy to admit they were wrong alongside Monk and, Jos?

• Like 1