Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

That's not what they said.

If Wigan finish outside of the relegation place the -12 will be applied this season likely relegating them. If they end up in the bottom 3 then the -12 points is next season.

Basically they are probably going to be relegated unless they finish 12 points above the bottom 3, they are currently 8 points outside the bottom three and have won their last 3 games. I hope they keep winning and get the points they need Huddersfield, QPR, Boro, Hull are in free fall so they have every chance of staying up.

Feel sorry for the Wigan fans, but they deserve relegation for what these new owners are doing....good work from the EFL.

32 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

So if Wigan finish in the relegation zone anyway, which is unlikely, then they start next season in league 1 on minus 12 pts

If deducting the 12 pts this season  pushes them into the relegation zone then they do it this season.

If they finish 12 pts above the relegation zone they deduct them this season and they stay in Championship 

Is this correct?

Are they going to pay players so they can fulfill their fixtures?

Since the restart they have taken 9 points from 3 games and sit 8 points outside the bottom 4 (just below us) it is possible with the way Hull, Boro, QPR, Udders are in free fall

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

If Wigan are going under how many others are close ?

I would say there are probably a lot more than we think. This season has got a lot of plot twists to come yet. It’s entirely possible the current bottom three could end up being safe comfortably.

33 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Err no...if they stay up and the 12 pts don't relegate them they're fine

Err no. If points deduction won't relegate them they are applied next season. If they go down without deduction they apply next season. If they are within 12 points of bottom 3 the deduction is applied and they go down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I would say there are probably a lot more than we think. This season has got a lot of plot twists to come yet. It’s entirely possible the current bottom three could end up being safe comfortably.

I wonder if they have knowledge of other teams going into administration, which has preempted this?

5 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Err no. If points deduction won't relegate them they are applied next season. If they go down without deduction they apply next season. If they are within 12 points of bottom 3 the deduction is applied and they go down.

Err no. First sentence NOT true. Points deducted but not relegated is a possibility. Last two sentences are true. According to the BBC!!

I’d absolutely love to see what criteria these people have to meet to pass the EFL fit and proper persons test to own a club 

Absolutely baffling that once again we’ve got a club been ran by people with no money, approved by the EFL 

EFL Fit and Proper tests can't see in to the future; they are assessing the individuals on their past record, and more specifically, whether those individuals have unspent convictions, whether those individuals have been disqualified as directors, or whether those individuals have financial issues.   Nor do the EFL assess whether the individuals have bought a business and then sold assets from their new business.  That behaviour happens all over the corporate world.  Do the EFL step in and say that assets (such as the stadium) can't be moved from the Club or sold to third-parties?   If so, that's us done for.

It seems that Wigan were operating at a loss and required input from the owner, which didn't materialise.  People have mentioned Barnsley FC and the wealthy owners there.  The man owns three clubs.   Clubs are just play things for wealthy owners, and when you have unlimited money, the excitement of a weekend in Wigan soon disappates. 

As for the punishment of 12 points deducted, it's deserved.  The reason is to stop clubs using Administration as an excuse to end their debt and maintain their position.  EFL must maintain this rule for that reason, even though it seems to be kicking clubs when they are down.  Think Leicester City and how fans up and down the country felt as they were perceived to get a new stadium with no debt.  They deny this, but the perception is there.

I feel for the fans as it's always those that suffer and who bail them out whatever the division.  

19 minutes ago, Jim said:

I really can’t blame Chansiri for fighting our corner when you look at some of the strange decisions the EFL have made in recent years?

Wigan going into administration completely validates the EFL’s P&S rules.

If anything, today’s news shows that the EFL have been right all along to continuously bang the drum about clubs spending within their means.

9 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Wrong, it honestly ain't hard to grasp. 

1 minute ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Err no. First sentence NOT true. Points deducted but not relegated is a possibility. Last two sentences are true. According to the BBC!!

I'm only repeating what was reported on sky sports news an hour ago.

9 minutes ago, Brommers said:

They are applied this season unless they finish in the bottom three.

I remember when we were having our pants pulled by other clubs, as sold players for £500k a piece (Lee Grant springs to mind). Just to pay the PAYE

Soooo ... 

Kieffer Moore
Sam Morsy
Josh Windass 
Antonee Robinson

£350k combined fee? :Chansiri:

• Like 1