Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

Rubbish for Wigan - unique circumstances with Covid, but football has got to get the financial side of the game sorted. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see more go into admin, and maybe a few go out of business. Key organisations to culture and communities in real danger. 

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
Just now, mkowl said:

I think he has blocked me for some reason so not seen that. 

he probably blocked you for spamming him with innacurate figures?

If a team goes bust, any points gained against that team would be taken away which would cause even more chaos. Imagine it happening to 2 teams and someone like Leeds or West Brom losing 12 points and dropping out of the autos!

Guest wilyfox
15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Better still, Antonee Robinson

Yes, let's rival AC Milan and see how that works out :laugh:

16 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Agreed about sympathy for the fans & employees,

but wasnt the Wigan Chairman an advocate of a closed Premier League, when they just happened to be in it 

I think you are confusing him with the late Phil Garside who was Boltons Chairmen and argued for a closed shop Premier league.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Honestly think we'll hear more today from other clubs

Gut feeling

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the points deductions. If the EFL have indicated it won’t go against this season it could end up persuading a few to stop treading water earlier than they would’ve had it impacted on this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Just wonder if this is Wigan thinking they can still stop up with a points deduction and it’s a tactically timed administration. 

I did think the same thing. Full on tin foil hat situation if they know which other clubs could go into admin and what our efl situation might be

The whole sport is a shambles, the amount of money sloshing about at the top whilst clubs further down the pyramid are constantly spinning plates just to stay afloat.

Never had strong feelings either way for Wigan, but this is a huge shame and I feel for their supporters.

As a result of Wigan Athletic confirming they have entered into administration, the Club will be subject to a 12-point deduction and, in accordance with EFL Regulations, the timing of the sporting sanction can only be determined once final league placings in the Championship are determined.

If in the event the Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the Championship season, then the deduction will apply in League One in 2020/21. 

However, if the Club is not in the relegation places following the final game of season, the sanction will be then be applied to their season 2019/20 total and final league standings amended as appropriate. 

The EFL is awaiting formal notification from the Administrators and once the League has received this it will commence discussions with the relevant individuals with the aim of achieving a long-term future for the Club.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest mkowl
10 minutes ago, Grandad said:

he probably blocked you for spamming him with innacurate figures?

I think it was more pointing out he had no idea