Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

41 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Wigan going into administration completely validates the EFL’s P&S rules.

If anything, today’s news shows that the EFL have been right all along to continuously bang the drum about clubs spending within their means.

It has nothing to do with clubs living within their means though does it.

Wigan over the last 2 season have lost £17m in that same time we have probably lost more than double that figure but we have a rich owner play thing at the moment.

Yet because Wigan have a smaller fanbase and less income and a less well off chairman they are going into administration. In our league there is probably another 5-10 team in the same boat as Wigan. They will try and stay afloat this season ad pray that Co-Vid ends and the clubs can start milking the fans again, as for most in the championship the fans are their main source of income.

The EFL rules make team risk everything to get promoted and the smaller team such as Wigan cannot compete, if this say anything about the league a new idea is needed to make the league a fairer league for all not just those with a rich owner or parachute payments. But unfortunately that just does not seem to be the modern football way. 

21 minutes ago, Jim said:

Tell me why then the EFL seemingly hung Bury out to dry but seemingly bent over backwards to help Bolton stay in business? They seem to be very inconsistent in how they govern their clubs IMO?

I don’t know enough about the Bolton/Bury situations to give a proper response to your question.

I do know that if the EFL hadn’t introduced P&S rules and sanctions, far more clubs would have gone into administration/liquidation over the last few years.  And in these unprecedented times, I’m grateful that prior action was taken to get clubs to manage their finances in a sustainable way in order to future-proof their operations.

The EFL deserve credit for that.

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So Robinson not signing for Milan for the reported £10m in January has probably meant they have fallen into administration.

I wonder if Milan got wind of this, as the deal looked signed until the last minute when Milan tried to change the terms.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

It has nothing to do with clubs living within their means though does it.

Wigan over the last 2 season have lost £17m in that same time we have probably lost more than double that figure but we have a rich owner play thing at the moment.

Yet because Wigan have a smaller fanbase and less income and a less well off chairman they are going into administration. In our league there is probably another 5-10 team in the same boat as Wigan. They will try and stay afloat this season ad pray that Co-Vid ends and the clubs can start milking the fans again, as for most in the championship the fans are their main source of income.

The EFL rules make team risk everything to get promoted and the smaller team such as Wigan cannot compete, if this say anything about the league a new idea is needed to make the league a fairer league for all not just those with a rich owner or parachute payments. But unfortunately that just does not seem to be the modern football way. 

Wigan are going into administration because there was a takeover 3 weeks ago and for some reason the new owners have stopped funding the club.

Even the players had no idea this was coming last night.

Shows the importance of football clubs being sustainable without relying on owners bankrolling them and why the P&L rules are there 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

So if they stay up on points it comes off this season so they need to finish 12 points above the drop 

if they finish in the bottom 3 they start league 1 on minus 12 

what a clusterfuck 

Basically yeah. It happens at the end of the season. 

Easiest way of looking at it is it's a 12 points deduction this season unless Wigan finish in the bottom three then its applied next season.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I don’t know enough about the Bolton/Bury situations to give a proper response to your question.

I do know that if the EFL hadn’t introduced P&S rules and sanctions, far more clubs would have gone into administration/liquidation over the last few years.  And in these unprecedented times, I’m grateful that prior action was taken to get clubs to manage their finances in a sustainable way in order to future-proof their operations.

The EFL deserve credit for that.

I wouldn’t give the EFL the sh!t off my shoe. Sooner it gets disbanded the better IMO?

Edited by Jim

5 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Wigan are going into administration because there was a takeover 3 weeks ago and for some reason the new owners have stopped funding the club.

Even the players had no idea this was coming last night.

Shows the importance of football clubs being sustainable without relying on owners bankrolling them and why the P&L rules are there 

But this is nothing about sustainability it is about the owners not having the cash.

As I said this is purely down to the owners having the funds

In the championship there are I believe 2 teams, Brentford is one of them that have made a real profit this year, the other 22 teams are making losses and that included those with the parachute payments. Nothing about the current rule are about sustainability.

If a business is losing up to £13m a year, it will not take it long to go under if it does not have a wealthy benefactor willing to throw millions at it to pay over paid under performing players.

In the Premier league where teams get £100m for finishing last the tv revenue pay for it but in the championship where that revenue is nearer £7m clubs cannot survive.

Wigan will be the first domino I expect another 5-10 in the next months if the EFL keep their heads in the sand as normal.

19 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

So if they stay up on points it comes off this season so they need to finish 12 points above the drop 

if they finish in the bottom 3 they start league 1 on minus 12 

what a clusterfuck 

A deterrent, to stop clubs spending money they don't have, ridding themselves of debt by using administration and maintaining their position in the league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

A deterrent, to stop clubs spending money they don't have, ridding themselves of debt by using administration and maintaining their position in the league.

which is exactly what would happen if they finish more than 12 points above the bottom 3? Rid themselves of debt and still be a championship club next season?

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

which is exactly what would happen if they finish more than 12 points above the bottom 3? Rid themselves of debt and still be a championship club next season?

Do they have massive debts or does the owners just not have any money.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Do they have massive debts or does the owners just not have any money.

By championship standards I believe they’ve been quite well run from what the local journalists have been saying today. It’s just the owners have pulled the plug 

1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

By championship standards I believe they’ve been quite well run from what the local journalists have been saying today. It’s just the owners have pulled the plug 

The owners haven't been there long enough to put the plug f*cking in :ph34r:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Should they stay up by 13 points then fair play to them.  

If we stay up after a points deduction this season would we have gotten away with it.

If they stay up by 13 points then the deduction should apply next season, otherwise whats the punishment? What about teams like Rotherham who went down last season playing within their means yet other teams in the division broke the rules.

We havent been found guilty of anything so its difficult to speculate.

Just now, Miffed said:

If they stay up by 13 points then the deduction should apply next season, otherwise whats the punishment? What about teams like Rotherham who went down last season playing within their means yet other teams in the division broke the rules.

We havent been found guilty of anything so its difficult to speculate.

Wigan just have a chairman who either has no or is currently short of cash. Could happen to any club. 

The rules are the rules. 12 point deduction.

This is not an FFP issue is it. Some would say we have broken the same rules as we have spend beyond our means just like they have. But we are lucky enough to have a chairman to get us out of it with his money.

• Like 1

Football is rotten to the core, destroyed by money and greed at the top which has filtered down and infested the championship. When a team prioritises finishing forth in the premier league over winning a cup you know the game is fooked. 

• Like 6