SWFC Finances - A major worry?

22 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Purely based on his Twitter persona (I’ve never met the guy), I have a different view of him, he comes across like an attention seeker, just my opinion!

An attention seeker?

For posting on Twitter?

Nope. He's a thoroughly down to earth, calm, intelligent sensible guy

Literally the opposite of an attention seeker (I know this because we know him on Owlstalk really well)

Owlstalk Shop

It really is a shame that some Wednesday fans can't just discuss what someone has presented instead of immediately going on the attack about who posted it, who said it, who printed it etc

It's a trait that's crept into SWFC life over the last 5 years (and life in general) and it sucks.

Staggering eye watering amounts of money have been wasted over the years, numerous embargoes, overpaid players, and all we can come up with as a fanbase is 'that peter is an attention seeker'

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It really is a shame that some Wednesday fans can't just discuss what someone has presented instead of immediately going on the attack about who posted it, who said it, who printed it etc

It's a trait that's crept into SWFC life over the last 5 years (and live in general) and it sucks.

Thats because most people see any kind of analysis that doesnt look good for the club as a personal attack on the club

we see the same with the finance guy. Hes a football finance guy with absolutely no axe to grind with Wednesday at all. And yet the way some go on about him you'd think he was a lifelong Blade.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a trait that's crept into SWFC life over the last 5 years (and live in general) and it sucks.

Staggering eye watering amounts of money have been wasted over the years, numerous embargoes, overpaid players, and all we can come up with as a fanbase is 'that peter is an attention seeker'

bang on unfortunately 

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

In that case you have to seriously question the IQ of those who think that way

I'm not sure its an IQ thing

More parochial

12 hours ago, Nero said:

I 'worry' about people who worry about things that haven't happened yet. They must go through life permanently looking at how stuff might go wrong.

Probably so they can eventually say ' I told you so ' when something does eventually go wrong. A bit like Spike Milligans tomb quote, 'I told you I was ill.

Is this the speech Hitler gave to his generals before Barbarossa? 

What are we gona do about future P&S? Thats a pretty serious question

Edited by keepitsteel89
  • Haha 1

Just goes to show how Money, Sky, Agents and players have ruined football. Not content with an easy, highly rewarding career in sport...

it can’t go on forever.

All we needed when DC took over was to follow on form what MM had created by a small amount of investment, appointing a solid manager (probably keeping Stuart Gray for a season) and being shrewd in the market.

instead we appoint an unknown manager (good initially), a committee that fell apart as quick as it was formed (or maybe they saw the shambles) and got tied down with some corrupt agent...Doomed from the start and destined to fail.

Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

OK, IMO he’s never got anything right about SWFC’s finances, that’s all I’m saying, please do prove me wrong with an example of something that he saw coming before anybody else though, I’m open minded!

You've just had one example in this thread mate!

He's no attention seeker at all. Never has been. Doesn't have that trait. Just isn't him.

I'd agree with you if he was. But he just isn't.

As far as being correct is concerned he's been consistently correct over the last 15/20 years. Owlstalkers know him, have read his stuff over the years, and will undoubtedly agree that he's pretty much bang on the money every time, in a calm, measured, intelligent matter of fact way.

Owlstalk Shop

Title is a Star Wars Reference. I do not like star wars, but Carrie Fishers daughter gives me a hard on.

I wish we could all just come together, and back Chansiri and Gary Monk. 

I've noticed that quite a few people in threads just seem to be scare mongering, and it does not help that people basing speculation on figures that are clearly designed by people to unsettle the club. Every club makes mistakes in player recruitment. This is something that will never change. I read that Boro paid £6 mill for Rudy Gustede and he has only started 20 games in three and a half years. That is at a club who has a more 'experienced' chairman than ours.

I do not think that it is only a culture change in the squad that is needed. But also the fans. I do not understand the nastyness towards chansiri. He is the person who owns the club. He had had given CC the tools to get us to the premier league, and CC did not achieve this. How is that Chansiri's fault? I am not saying Chansiri has not made mistakes, as Jos was a questionable appointment. But Steve Bruce was not. Neither is Gary Monk. They are both very good managers, and I think Monk is a good appointment as hopefully it is a sign of the club  moving away from shorterism.

Chansiri put a lot of his money into the club to reach the premier league in 'two years'. It was doable, and he invested the money to give the club the best chance of doing this. But we did not. I have no doubt everyone at the club was trying their hardest to make it a reality, and it felt as though the club and the fans were in unity. It is obvious that most short-term aims of a club are have a large hand of luck involved, therefore mostly a gamble. So maybe it is better to not persecute those people who tried there best to make people happy.

Considering the short terms goals did not work, and do doubt Chansiri has taken a massive hit in his wallet, I do not think the club is in a much trouble as certain people are making out. Yes we are potentially facing a points deduction (Don't get me started on the football league), which could perhaps see us relegated. But all relegation would mean for us, is a short term drop is TV revenue, as I have no doubt we would not be in league one for more than three seasons. Which ironically would give us a chance to cut losses whilst aiming for top six in league one (I know that league is difficult). The only way I think the club would hit the wall if Chansiri were to suddenly recall the directors loan. But he is a honest person, with integrity, and I have no doubt he loves our club just as much as we do. Which is why he will not do this (Also, he would not make any of his money back even if he was to sell the stadium).

I believe that if we come together as a club. Maybe even put to the chairman that we would prefer as a group of fans,to focus on the long-term, and put the target of reaching the premier league on the side burn (even though in football it is not always a choice). By;

-Cutting costs to make us more sustainable;

-Focus on academy players to negate the effects (Financial) of potential  incorrect player recruitment;

- Give Gary Monk a long-term contract to build a squad of young players, where even in the event of relegation, the manager and squad having a couple of seasons to get us back into the championship.

I know Chansiri said we can repay him as fans by purchasing season tickets if we can afford them. But we've got to do something to make him focus on the next twenty years here, rather than next season. Take the clubs reliance away from large amounts of investment to be competitive on the field. 

People describe Crystal Palace as a family club. We should be that. Maybe in a couple of years time, when hopefully we will develop the academy players, we may stumble on our Wilfred Zaha. Anyway I'm just rambling so I'll stop.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Thats because most people see any kind of analysis that doesnt look good for the club as a personal attack on the club

we see the same with the finance guy. Hes a football finance guy with absolutely no axe to grind with Wednesday at all. And yet the way some go on about him you'd think he was a lifelong Blade.

This kind of attitude really does my head in. And some of the views posted in this thread this morning I find absolutely astonishing. It's a bit like going down into the lower decks of Titanic, seeing hundreds of gallons of water pouring into the boiler rooms every minute and shrugging that it doesn't matter because the ship's owner said it was unsinkable. And anyone who points out that flooding a contained vessel at sea might not be a good thing in the long run has to be beaten down as some kind of lunatic or attention seeker.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Purely based on his Twitter persona (I’ve never met the guy), I have a different view of him, he comes across like an attention seeker, just my opinion!

Nah Rob is a good bloke and journo 

11 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

Title is a Star Wars Reference. I do not like star wars, but Carrie Fishers daughter gives me a hard on.

I wish we could all just come together, and back Chansiri and Gary Monk. 

I agree you on the whole and as other people have pointed out those figures show a sharp tightening up of finances which is obviously good, I still have no idea how DC could be so negligent with the stadium sale though, basically relaying on an ELF mistake to fall short of a massive point deduction? The guy needs to delegate if he can't do that I don't see a point talking about the long term 

Edited by keepitsteel89